Hi from a newbie introducing myself

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tanya&tinka

Reaction score
Hi, My name is Tanya and I have been lurking a reading posts for a few weeks. I am getting my a little mini in about two weeks, We are also getting one for our 13 year old daughter. I am not new to horses, I rode an awful lot as a teenager and then at 23 I had a bad fall and broke my coxix bone ( in other words my butt) and lost all my confidence around horses. I want to ride a "big" horse again and feel more ready but thought we'd start out small and get reacquainted with horses by getting two sweet little mini girls.

A little more about our girls.

My little girl is my All time favourite colour. - dapple grey
default_smile.png
she is two and has been lightly shown and did quite well. We looked at about 15 ponies in one day - driving all over the country side and this little girl was at the last place we went too. As soon as I saw her I knew she was my soul pony
default_smile.png
I really can't wait to get her. We will be driving down to pick them up in about 2 1/2 weeks. They are only and hour and a half drive from here and the waiting is killing me. GRRRRRR Her name is currently Nara but I am not in love with this name and have decided to call her Sugar
default_smile.png

Second little girl is a palomino yearling filly named Elle. She definitely picked us. She followed my daughters around and everytime they paused she gently put her head under their arm and just stood there. (this is in a paddock with about 10 little minis). It was like she was saying "this is my kid and I will be going home with them," She is not registered and we were told she was not good enough to show (we don't want to show and she is just the sweetest little girl).

We are also looking at maybe getting a third one for my other two daughters (who are 9 and 5). Ultimately they are all my responsibility obviously. We live in sunny Queensland, Australia and bought our house and land (8 acres) last year and I have wanted to add horses to our family for a while. We also have a dairy steer we saved from 'getting knocked on the head' as a newborn calf and bottle fed him. His name is Stanley Freedom not for Eaten' Buckle. He has a huge paddock out the back (about 6 acres) and I have a smaller paddock out the side for the new girls
default_smile.png
. I am also building a third paddock so I have two for the little guys.

We also have a Maremma (sheep guardian dog) who is 10, 2 border collies (who are 1 ans 2) and a golden retriever (18 months). Our house is full with 5 kids and I am one busy Mumma but wouldn't have my kids growing up any other way. Anyway - that's me, hope to learn heaps from you ladies. All your minis are just Gorgeous !!!! Our minis will be spoilt rotten with love and attention. We are also toying with the idea of getting into going a little agility with them. They lady we are buying them from shows her minis and her daughter does agility with some of them and WOW it looks like a lot of fun
default_smile.png
My Husband was going to build an agility course in the back paddock for the border collies and now I'm thinking he could modify if just a little to suit both. Just an idea at the moment we have a LOT of research to do
default_smile.png

Welcome!! Sounds like a great plan you have...your kids are so lucky! Can't wait to see pics!

WELCOME to the forum and the wonderous world of minis! They do get deep into your heart.

Please be sure and share pics of them and tell of your new adventures when you get your girls home!
default_smile.png

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. You will have lots of fun.

A lot of us were "big horse" lovers formerly. Not that I don't still love the big ones......just "too brittle boned" to take any chances with them.

Welcome from Ohio! You are a very busy momma! Enjoy! This is a very helpful place for info about minis. Cant wait for pics!

Welcome to the forums from BC Canada. As Genie said many of us were (and lots still are) big horse people at one time but minis are just so much fun.

Welcome from Connecticut! Another one who started with big horses (over 50 years ago) and am now smitten with the minis and won't go back. We just started a 4-H Club with 8 young members who use our minis for their project animals. Minis are such a great way for kids to learn about horses!

thanks for the warm welcome, I have some pictures ( I got the lady to sned me some
default_smile.png
) I'll just have to work out how to upload them .....................

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome from south of the border. Sure hope you are able to stop at 3 but wouldn't count on it.

Hello from NSW! Agree with Helicopter - good luck with stopping at 3
default_new_rofl.gif
I've only had my mini's since April this year, but I'm already completely head over heals in love with them.
default_wub.png
Cant wait to see photos of your babies...

Hi Tanya...welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Miniature Horses!! Sounds to me like you're "hooked" already!

Hello from California -

I am new here myself and just brought home my first mini and already considering number 2 - good luck with stopping! lol

I have one big boy Jigsaw, a paint - and got into minis becuase I have a 2 yr old daughter and want us to do it together and can't have her on my big boy with me -

Can't wait until my harness arrives so we can start driving at home!

Latest posts

Back