Hi everyone, I'm new to minis so....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fallin4minis

Reaction score
My name is Fran and I've owned horses most of my adult life but this Saturday I'm bringing home my first miniature!
aktion033.gif
It's been 4 long years since my 26 yr. old 1/2 Arab passed and I'm soooo very excited to get this little colt.
yes.gif

He's being weaned now (at 3 mos.) and is eating Purina's Horseman's Edge 14% pellet. The farm that I'm buying him from feeds Horseman's Edge pellet to all of their minis and they're all nice and fat!

When I asked about it at the Purina dealer, they really were trying to steer me toward Strategy or Omolene 300.

Is there some reason why I shouldn't feed Horseman's Edge 14 ?

Since I only have one horse to feed, I'm afraid of sweet feed spoilage here in Louisiana's climate. There is a Purina dealer about 8.5 miles from me and a Nutrena dealer 5 miles from me so I have access to both brands.

I'm just not sure if I should keep him on the Edge or give him something else during his growing stage-like Strategy or Nutrena's SafeChoice.

Also should I consider supplementing with a milk replacement since he's still young?

Any advice or suggestions are welcomed!

I don't have a digital photo but if you'd like to see him, go to www.darmondslittlestangels.com

click on horses for sale, then stallions/colts pg. 2, then scroll down to Silver Snow Storm and there he is!! It was love at first sight
wub.gif
yes.gif

I've been reading on this forum since mid June and have learned so much.

Looking forward to your replies :)

Fran

Hi Fran!

Welcome from sunny hot Idaho!

I wouldn't change the food that you would be giving to your weanling immediately. Your mini is going to be stressed enough with just moving from his breeder's place to yours that I would maintain the diet he is used to for now.

Since he is being weaned so young, I would consider a milk replacement pellet in addition to his normal feed for a couple of months. It won't hurt him any and may actually be beneficial in aiding in his digestion. But then again I don't wean until my foals are at least 5 months old if at all possible.

Chat with your vet about what to feed him. I normally do that when I get a purchase exam done. And I get one done on each and every horse I buy be it a mini or a large horse. It just gives my vet a baseline to start from and reassures me that I am doing the best for each horse.

As far as types of feed, they may be trying to talk you into a different choice for a number of reasons. The first that comes to mind may be the protien ratio is not what a young horse should be getting. (Personally, I use Equine Jr for our young horses and like Equine Sr for the older adaults) Another could be the store's profit margin and ease of getting the feed. A third could just be overall quality issues when it comes to consistancy and producing good results. Ask your feed supplier outright why they think one is better than the other. Also, remember that minis are like Arabs in that they can be super easy keepers
wink.gif
and can have weight problems because they are pretty efficient with the food they digest.

Hope that others can help you more as I am not familiar with what your new horse is eating, but I do know that Omelene and Stratagy are supreme foods.

And post us a picture so that we can see your new fellow!

WELCOME TO THE FORUM, FRAN, FROM A FELLOW LOUISIANIAN!
saludando.gif

Congratulations on your new little boy, Silver Storm. I saw him when he was very small - he's a real cutie!

Everyone has their preferences on feed. I feed Strategy. For me it works for babies on up to broodmares.

Hi Fran:

Welcome to the board and to mini ownership!!

I personally do not feed any of the brands you mention. I feed Triple Crown feeds-- Triple Crown GROWTH (16%) is what I feed to pregnant or lactating mares and to young horses through their 2 year old year and I feed Triple Crown LITE to my adult horses (with a tiny bit of the growth added for some flavoring).

I feed Triple Crown Complete to my dwarves and to any senior horses that are not easy to keep weight on. ( A complete feed where hay is not a requirement for there nutritional needs)

IMO - I would continue feeding the foal what he would have been given if he had remained at his birth farm... until he was about a 9 months to a year old.. then gradually change him over to something else ... if you prefer the something else.

Good luck.. and be sure and post pictures of your mini - when you have the pictures.

JJay

Hello and welcome from sunny wet England!!! Bit soggy at the moment- are you jealous??? I would definitely keep your new baby on the feed he is used to for at least a couple of weeks, and I would certainly supplement with milk pellets until four-five months , which is my normal time for weaning. And, of course, I would start looking for your second one- he is going to be SO lonely, you will just have to get him a friend!! There's no point in fighting it, you know, the breed motto is "Bet you can't stop at one..."
smile.gif

Hi! And Welcome!
saludando.gif

Rabbitsfizz has a good point. Feeding a Mare and Foal grain mixed in with the other feed isn't a bad idea.

I am not familiar with the feed he is on now, but gradually switching him over to the Purina Strategy certainly wouldn't hurt him. And mixing in a little of the Mare& Foal too. Strategy is an EXCELLENT product!

MA

So, I understand the types...but how much? I have a 2 year old mini filly and a 5 month old mini stud colt. They get one flake of coastal grass hay in the morning, split between them, one flake same in the evening. They just started to get free choice grass for about 10 hours during the day. I give my filly a scant handful of grain (14%/6%fat) to make her happy and the colt is getting about 1/2 cup. They don't get an incredible amount of exercise and the filly is a little plump. Am I doing this right or should I cut back on something?

Welcome! How exciting your first mini. Ask the seller for a 5 gal pail of the feed he's used to, pay for it if you like. I usually give it but everybody is different. If you go to the Purina mills site you will see all the different feeds and for whom they are recommended. I am a Strategy lover! Super for the babies, weanlings, yearlings and on and on. Omelene is also a super feed but I understand not wanting 50 lbs of sweet feed for one. See if someone in your area buys Strategy from your dealer. See if you can have "some and after a week or so begin to add the Strategy to his feed while cuting down on that, after about 10 days or so he should be on the Strategy 100%. I give babies all they like two times a day...say 2 lbs am & pm. Free choice grass hay too. You'll discover that minis are addicting and I predict you'll have to have another before too long. Best of luck and let us know when he arrives and his name and a pic.....
saludando.gif

Nope don't know about the feed but l just wanted to tell you he's a sweetheart and having gotten a colt from Christy last year am very sure you'll be happy with yours but l would think one little guy would need a little company down the road.
biggrin.gif

Latest posts

Back