Hey..Hay!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlesteppers

Reaction score
How long do you guys let the hay cure before feeding.??? Our supplier says 10 days..we are getting very low and it cured only 6 days..do I need more "OLD" hay or do you think its okay to feed??
wacko.gif
unsure.gif
rolleyes.gif

Heck I have fed it right off the field or taken it right off the wagon In the Field no need to let it set IMO.. If the Hay has been dried in the field like it should have I have no problem feeding hay the same day it gets put up...I have for years fed hay the same day it gets baled with nothing happeing..

Feeding the fresh not “sweated out†(uncured) hay can cause serious colic , sometimes resulting in twisted intestines. The early signs of this danger can be noticed in bloating of the animal, in progressed stage redness in the eyes and later with high fever and irregular heartbeat. Horses often die in extreme pain.

We always let the hay cure..just not taking a chance..trying to figure out if less curing is okay.
wacko.gif
wacko.gif

In the 40 years of feeding hay right off the field to various breeds of horses I guess I have lucked out then
biggrin.gif
I see no problem if the Hay has been cured in the field like they do around here they cut it and it will lay in the field for 2 to 3 days being rolled a few times to let dry. That is hay being cured in the field Like I said it should be done...If on the other hand the is cut and bales the same day in some parts of the country then YES it should be set aside for at least 4 days anyway.. Hay is put up differently around the country. Depending on the sir temp the humidity, due point in the AM etc. etc. But in my part of the country they dry it in the field First before baling..That is why I can get hay right off the wagon at baling time and feed it that night..

I too feed my hay straight out of the field, start feeding it the day we bale it (we bale ourselves)..........never had any problems whatsoever.

If the hay is cut then tedded, then raked and then baled - it is already dried out before ever baled..........Looks like to me if it was baled (uncured) then it would turn moldly?

Last edited by a moderator:
Here to, in Idaho, the hay is cut and left to dry, some leave it for almost a week, then bale or it will mold.

Just a few nights ago, some hay was baled in 1/2 tone bales, baled too green/wet, and it soon started on fire in the persons yard after it had been stacked. Burned several dozen bales and I think its still smoldering..........quite a costly and smelly mess.

I hope they were insured!
new_shocked.gif

I live in Idaho also and I raise hay. I feed it straight out of the field but I can imagine if you live in a more humid climate then moisture would cause problems. My Mini's love the freshly cut hay. I have feed that way forever and never had a problem with it. I have only had one problem with hay and I new better but I fed 3rd crop hay that was for dairy hay so it was a bit hot. It gave one horse a bit of a tummy ach but that was it.

Outlaw

Latest posts

Back