Hey can I get a little info?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CowGirlMe

Reaction score
Hi Y'all, I am 14 and recently my mom and I have talked about getting a mini when we move back east to Tennessee, but the sale of our house fell through and we will probably get one here in Somerset, CA. Ever since I rode my nieghbors horse, at the age of four, I have been crazy over them.
default_wub.png
: So I wont get a horse (cuz of the prices) and will get a mini. So I was looking up info on these guys and saw the advertisment for this forum and decided, what the heck, I'll join. R these guys hearty? Are they easy to raise? Do they really only cost a tenth of a normal horse? If anybody can tell me any of this I will appreiciate it. What kind of tack do I need? Stuff like that.:xreiter:

CowGirlMe AKA Danielle

If you're able to get a mini, I know you will really love having one.

They are usually hearty, easy keepers

They can cost just as much as a normal horse (they are, in fact, normal horses themselves). Minis come in every price... I have big horses and minis, and most of my minis cost more than my big horses did to purchase.

Minis cost about 1/4 as much to feed, because they eat much less but you must be careful (in my opinion) and not feed them very coarse hay that may be okay for big horses.

Vacinations cost the same (they get the same dosages).

Hoof trimming usually costs a little less, but the trade off is it can be really hard to find a reliable farrier willing to trim minis.

They require the same level of care as big horses, just their messes are smaller and they take less time to groom.

Thanks Jill but, like what ifd trim its hooves for me about how much would that save? And hay, what do you do to get finer hay? And how much does it run for say a pinto colered one? I read at About Time Acres that they only run for 10% of a real horse and only get a portion of the dosage of meds that a horse needs.

You would not really be able to trim the horse's hoofs safely unless you watch a farrier do it many times, and study how to do it. You can really hurt a horse if you don't trim his / her feet right. The proper equipment to trim the hoofs will cost about $150.

For medicines, as in for ulcers or pain, minis do get a smaller dosage than a full size horse. They need to have the same dosage as a big horse for vacinations.

Not to be smart, but you can find $500 pinto colored minis, and you can find $30,000 pinto colored minis! We all have our favorite colors and patterns, but that's actually the very least important factor in the price of a horse of any size.

For hay with minis, I like the softer kinds of hay vs. the coarser. Many, many times in the past, I have fed hay cubes soaked vs. baled hay because I have not always been able to find good enough quality hay for my minis. Hay cubes are more expensive than feeding bailed hay, but you've got a more consistent quality (usually).

PS minis are "real horses"
tongue.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Jill's right, the cost of a miniature horse, to purchase, can be just as much or even more than a full size horse. Where you would save money is in the feeding, mainly, over a big horse. Which can be considerable, since big horses can eat a LOT.

Minis do tend to be very hearty and easy to keep. I encourage you to do as much research as possible before venturing out to buy a horse, so that you will be as knowledgeable as possible about them. That way you will know what you want, and how to take care of one, so your future mini will be very healthy and happy.

Have fun!

I'll put my 2 cents in!

Feet trimming here is 25$ per horse, no matter the size

They are big responsibilities (sp)!! They don't just sit on your lawn

We have had mini for 18 years... some years when they did nothing but eat & sleep (this was before I was born till I was around 4 or 5... just too small to know or care!) they were stalled a lot of the time, or rotted in a field, That IS NOT A LIFE!!!! When I turned 6 I started riding the stallion, then I taught him tricks, then halter, then driving... I clean, feed, groom & love each one daily.

We have horses & minis, the minis take up more time than horses... babies are 10 x that!

I would recommend that you get a gelding; they are cheaper to buy & are great family/pet/show horses, so go for it

Also who will be paying for it? My parents pay because it is a family business, but if I want to show or buy, I have to earn it... but because of family reasons, I can't get a job outside of my home, so I do other things around the house.

One more thing, you say you like horses, but owning one means little or no time at the mall, with friends, parties & horse's feeding plans have to be at the same time ever time... are you that reliable?

ask your self Do you have enoph(sp) time & money & HORSE SENCE? Sorry but riding a horse once & then years later getting your own... it’s a big step...

I'm not trying to be mean, but minis are my life & I know too many cocky teen/kids who know little about horses getting minis because 'there cute' or "less money" or "less work" and that’s not the way to think!

Why not joining 4-h for a year, or go to a local farm (with or without minis) & learn, take lessons... you need to do your research...

That’s just MO... That’s what I feel, I’m not trying to be mean... I don't know if you have proven yourself yet or not

My parents will be paying. And I could be very reliable because I ain't got any friends, The last time I went clothes shopping(to the mall) was three years ago, On average only go to 1 or2 parties a year:hypocrite: . I have done lots and lots of research, and think I would be a great pet 4 me. And the only pet I have had in the last 14 years is a giunea pig and I got it for my birthday. My mom has had a bunny, my sisters both have Guinea pigs, And I would love and I mean love a mini. And my grandpas girlfriend knows a lady that breeds mini miniatures. Have you ever heard of them?

Welcome to the forum! You'll make lots of friends and learn a ton! Having a horse is a huge responsability and not to be taken lightly but there is still time to relax and have fun. Horses of all sizes are wonderful but there does seem to be something specials about the minis, I dunno, maybe it's just me! Read the posts on this forum and purchase a book or two. Find a breeder near you and ask if you can help them out for a day or if they will teach you how to care for a mini. If you don't have much experience with horses maybe you should just wait a while and take the time to learn from a knowledgable horse person. Owning a mini is a lot of fun! I'm sure you will enjoy it! And remember, if you have questions be sure to post them on this forum, someone will be sure to help you out!

[SIZE=14pt]Oh no, I was looking thruogh my posts and saw that I wrote I was 14!
ohmy.gif
I am only 12. I was caught up looking at something else and the girl was saying she was 14 and owned 18 minis and wrote I was fourteen I am sorry. And shouldn't there be an age limit? I guess cause it is a info site it doesn't? Well thank you for the welcome!!!!
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
[/SIZE]

Mrs. Fran myers!!!
ohmy.gif
It does not make you ancient.
laugh.gif
And I ment like most forums say 13 and ^ so why is this different?
wacko.gif

Latest posts

Back