Here's our "instant shade"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
As you know I was griping last week because I am not used to having a run in and the two mares there refused to get in their well ventelated, insullated little barn. Dumb! They chose to be out toasting in the sun. Angel a true black hasn't faded at all except for her mane but Holly a dark chocolate bay is sunbleached and burnt all to heck.
default_frusty.gif

Anyhow, I came up with this canopy at Walmart. Online it says they are not available, and the girl at the service desk also said they didn't have any in stock, but I found a few different ones in the sporting goods area anyway.
default_wacko.png

This one is simple to put up; the whole thing just unfolds like an accordian, a no brainer. You just add the top piece and stake it down in the ground with metal stakes provided. Took all of ten minutes or so. Dan said he wants to set metal tee posts to for extra support for the legs and wire them on but it hasn't budged. So far we've only had a couple of storms, nothing strong and it stood just fine. If there is anything severe, it probably will blow so that's the beauty of being able to take it down in a pinch if anything with high winds is heading our way. It's only just for now and through the month of August which is nasty hot up here. It first comes out at about 4' high which actually we could have left it like that. Then it raised up higher. Its 8 X 8 and comes in a little case on wheels so easy to drag around. I think its working out good in a pinch for instant shade so far until we get some trees to plant and grow around here. They are on sale now.
default_aktion033.gif

instantshade.jpg

instantshade2.jpg

instantshade3.jpg

As you know I was griping last week because I am not used to having a run in and the two mares there refused to get in their well ventelated, insullated little barn. Dumb! They chose to be out toasting in the sun. Angel a true black hasn't faded at all except for her mane but Holly a dark chocolate bay is sunbleached and burnt all to heck.
default_frusty.gif

Anyhow, I came up with this canopy at Walmart. Online it says they are not available, and the girl at the service desk also said they didn't have any in stock, but I found a few different ones in the sporting goods area anyway.
default_wacko.png

This one is simple to put up; the whole thing just unfolds like an accordian, a no brainer. You just add the top piece and stake it down in the ground with metal stakes provided. Took all of ten minutes or so. Dan said he wants to set metal tee posts to for extra support for the legs and wire them on but it hasn't budged. So far we've only had a couple of storms, nothing strong and it stood just fine. If there is anything severe, it probably will blow so that's the beauty of being able to take it down in a pinch if anything with high winds is heading our way. It's only just for now and through the month of August which is nasty hot up here. It first comes out at about 4' high which actually we could have left it like that. Then it raised up higher. Its 8 X 8 and comes in a little case on wheels so easy to drag around. I think its working out good in a pinch for instant shade so far until we get some trees to plant and grow around here. They are on sale now.
default_aktion033.gif

instantshade.jpg

instantshade2.jpg

instantshade3.jpg

I had one last year for my mare. Boy they do work well!
default_yes.gif

That is a lot like the one I used for Princess that my vet got such a kick out of. But they work! Wish I had taken photos.

Marty, you are such a good horse mommy!

That thing looks great! But you know, we have big shade trees here and I'll look out when it's 100+ and there will be some horse stretched out flat in the sand in the HOT sun! I don't understand.

Charlotte

We have done the long cattle panel where you drive 4 t-posts in the ground and bend the panel in between it and bungee a plastic blue tarp over it. cost is about 10.00 for the tarp

And he's single too~
default_wub.png

Also I am going to talk to Lisa over at Ozark. She's got some serious fly sheets in her catalog that protect from the sun too. I just have to take some measurements.

Marty--"A Little Blessing" is single too! And cute as a button and an incredible horsewoman....

I have plenty of photos if Dan wants one.
default_wink.png

Ooops are we a tad off topic?
default_whistling.gif

I'm going to get on of thise for Drew. He has a run in stall, but he has no shade in his big pasture that he goes in all day at my instructor's where he is boarded. I'm redoing the minis pasture and making it big enough for all 3 of them to be together. I'm going to get one of those for them also.

Christy

Ooops--I thought you had moved to another post, Julie! :DOH!
default_biggrin.png
default_saludando.gif

I know, I know, horses before boys....
default_smile.png

Pssst-Marty--tell Dan to look on my website. shhhhhh......

Do you have any photos of this set up? We need to do some run in shelters for our pastures. This place has too darn many pastures. Not complaining, I do certainly consider it a blessing.

We have done the long cattle panel where you drive 4 t-posts in the ground and bend the panel in between it and bungee a plastic blue tarp over it. cost is about 10.00 for the tarp

I got mine there too, but the blue one. I used it for a show in May good thing too, we had a thunder storm go through Abby and I stood under it and stayed nice and dry. They have the panels you can add to the sides if you want to close it in. Kathy

Looks great Marty, good plan.
default_smile.png
I keep looking at that green stuff in the background.....it's been so dry here this summer I've almost forgotten what it looks like! (boy, is that an age giveaway.......good looking guy front and center, and I'm drooling over the green grass LOL).

Jan

Pretty cool Marty
default_smile.png

Your horses are lucky to have you!

Jan... We have the opposite here.... I pratically LIVE on my tractor...Mow mow MOW....

and my minis are FAT FAT FAT! (me bad horse mom.... :O

~Sandy

Latest posts

Back