Here's my new boy.....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BopNDoc

Reaction score
Meet Frankie (due to his 2 baby blues!) He was a big suprise since my stallion is a b/w (non homozygous) pinto and his dam is solid and "brown" One of her parents was a palomino pinto and one was a "bay". So what do you think of him and her color? Even though she's solid...could she still pass on the pinto gene? The only white she has is a dime sized spot on her shoulder and random white hairs sprinkled all over her body. These color things fascinate me!
default_smile.png
Anyway...meet my Frankie!

12.JPG

15.JPG

22.JPG

Yep.....Looks like you've got yourself a gorgeous little Palomino! And yes, your mare is probably Smokey Black (gotten the creme gene from her palomino parent) The colt probably got his pinto markings from his pinto sire. If his sire is heterozygous...he will pass the pinto gene 50% of the time.
default_yes.gif
And since he has blue eyes.....you know he has to carry either Splash or Frame, since those are the only two "patterns" that create blue eyes. But he could carry multiple patterns at the same time...so he is not limited to just Frame or Splash....in fact, he probably carries Tobiano too, since his sire is heterozygous Tobiano.

But to answer your queston about your mare.....if she has even a tiny spot of white (true white with pink skin) she is actually a minimal pinto & can pass that gene to her foals.

CONGRATULATIONS!
default_aktion033.gif

Yep.....Looks like you've got yourself a gorgeous little Palomino! And yes, your mare is probably Smokey Black (gotten the creme gene from her palomino parent) The colt probably got his pinto markings from his pinto sire. If his sire is heterozygous...he will pass the pinto gene 50% of the time.
default_yes.gif
And since he has blue eyes.....you know he has to carry either Splash or Frame, since those are the only two "patterns" that create blue eyes. But he could carry multiple patterns at the same time...so he is not limited to just Frame or Splash....in fact, he probably carries Tobiano too, since his sire is heterozygous Tobiano.

But to answer your queston about your mare.....if she has even a tiny spot of white (true white with pink skin) she is actually a minimal pinto & can pass that gene to her foals.

CONGRATULATIONS!
default_aktion033.gif
Thanks for the compliment, now is it possible for him to be homozygous? I'm new to the gene things but they are so cool to me!

Wow what a handsome little surprise
default_wub.png

I'm not any help color wise, but I can speak for handsome wise

Lori
Thank you!

That's cool! Congratulations!

I'm going to guess that he is probably not homozygous...you can always test him but i can almost garauntee you he won't be. I have a bunch of solid horses with a little spot here or there but they'll never produce pinto. I know there are some horses that have the tiny white spot and do but they have the pink skin underneath whereas mine do not. beautiful baby by the way! Palomino pinto is one of my favs!

No for a homozygous, both parents have to be pinto.
default_wink.png

But if he really has a marking it doesn´t matter how big it is, then he´s a pinto.

Congrats!
default_aktion033.gif

Thank you all for the compliments. He's so full of himself today. Running, bucking and kicking. Watching him, you'd think that he thinks he's a cutting horse, by the way he's running and cutting up around the paddock! These babies are so funny!

Your mare is the same color as my smokey black stallion. He was tested and carries a single cream gene. He looks brown like your mare. Your baby is a doll, love palominos,congrats!!!
default_saludando.gif

Thank you C G Minis...we're tickled! I still go out and am suprised that we have a paly pinto colt!!! LOVE it!!!
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back