Here is the owl still "stuck"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anne

Reaction score
stuckowl.jpg

I sure hope this picture shows up,

it was quite an interesting morning

Wow
new_shocked.gif
-- I am glad you took that photo -- I was trying to visualize a "stuck owl" and just did not picture anything like that!

How did they remove him/her from the fence without anyone or the bird getting hurt??

So glad you were able to rescue him/her.

JJ

Peggy Miller was the lady who came out to help. We donned our leather gloves, got a towel and a wire cutters. Walked quietly up behind him, wrapped the towel around him to hold his wings down, then I took a firm hold on those legs and she used the wire cutters to snip the fence.

His head was in a 2X4 rectangle on the fence and he was firmly locked in there, holding onto the fence when he wasn't struggling with those talons.

He had been struggling and was pretty exhausted and "shocky", but we slipped him into a box (which the rehab recommended) for transport. After about 5 minutes in the box he was starting to move around in there, so there's a really good chance he will be ok.

Thank goodness you saved him!! He must have beens so tired and stressed out!! We had a hawk get caught in our fence once and my husband freed him. Good job!!
aktion033.gif

Makes you wonder how he got his head thru it in the first place!!

Good job with the rescue!!!

Makes you wonder how he got his head thru it in the first place!!

Good job with the rescue!!!

You're great Anne! Maybe the wind knocked him into the fence or something. Poor guy!

Well the rehab lady got back to me and the news is all good. They think he came through this ordeal in remarkably good shape, some cuts and scrapes to treat and he is quite hungry. They will treat and feed him a couple of days and then plan to bring him out here to release him into his "territory" on Sunday. He's definitely a baby Great-horned owl, and they are sure his parents are wondering what happened to him. They said the parents care for these babies for at least 6 months.

The rehab folks said most baby great-horned owls die their first year due to lack of hunting skills and so they are thrilled that this one will get a second chance.

They figure it was his lack of hunting skills that got him in trouble in the fence as he tried something "daring" in search of dinner.

Oh my gosh! He is really quite lucky to have been found in time to get rescued. Those great horned owls really are pretty to see, and I am so glad that this one is getting a chance to live to see another day. I sure hope it's parents will take him back after this. But at least he will have a couple of good meals while being treated for his wounds.

And great picture. He definately looks mighty upset.

Latest posts

Back