Here He Is......Details and Pictures!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharmedMinis

Reaction score
Well here are some more details about the little guy.

Well the little guy is still doing ok this morning. My other vet will be here later this afternoon, to do more things.

To top off all his other problems, he's got a nasty case of full blown strangles :new_shocked:

Here's what the vet last night told me about him.

He does have a chance. He's pretty sure his jaw isn't broken, it's probably just be all the icky stuff from the strangles causing problems. But they will take an x-ray or 2 to be sure. He's extremely emaciated, he gave him a 1 on the body scale. But because he's a baby he thinks he can re-coop from it. He has no muscle tone left anywhere it's all atrophied. The vet thinks that's part of what's wrong with his back leg. But they will take an x-ray of his legs too. I didn't get any good feet pictures, too much sawdust. But they are the typical long uncared for feet.

The vet today will draw blood, take x-rays, clean up his jaw and maybe open it up a bit more so the strangles can ooze better (yuck!). We are going to start him on ulcer meds as well, and probably antibiotics. He has a pretty high fever, last night it was 103 plus.

I am being super careful because of the strangles. I'm kind of phobic about germs anyway so I'm probably being more careful than I need to be, but better safe than sorry. Shoes are getting bleached, clothes changed and washed, I even bleached the driveway where he walked last night.

For right now he's in our horse trailer. I was just going to keep him in the there for the night until I got a pen set up in my courtyard away from the other horses. But the vet said he'd be better off in the trailer for a while. It's 12 by 6 feet and enclosed, so he has enough room. The vet said it will help contain his body heat at night to keep him warmer, it will contain the strangles better, and he definitely doesn't need any exercise at this point.

Here's his pics from this morning. The one of his back with the purple glove on.......I was trying to show how skinny he is, that is my hand pushing his hair down on either side of his spine. His backbone sticks up a good 2 inches.

60689IMG_3717.JPG-med.jpg

60689IMG_3715.JPG-med.jpg

60689IMG_3713.JPG-med.jpg

60841IMG_3721.JPG-med.jpg

60841IMG_3719.JPG-med.jpg

You can not be too careful with strangles. Talk to your vet about the intranasal vaccine for the rest of your herd right away! Kudos for taking on such a tough project, what a cutey!

Shooting is too good for some people!!

How much did you have to pay in the end (you do not have to answer that, I am just being nosy!!)

[SIZE=12pt]There was NO better Christmas present for him on this earth than to be rescued by you. Thank you Lindsey for taking on such a task. His eyes seem to be saying "thank you"... Please keep us posted on this precious little boy! Shannon [/SIZE]

Without people like you CharmedMinis...what would needy minis do?

:aktion033: Great to hear he is in good hands!!
default_yes.gif
:

Best Christmas present he could ever have received!

default_wub.png
: A loving home!!!
default_wub.png
:

[SIZE=18pt]He's so cute. How old does the vet think he is? I'm glad you were able to get him. Are you going to keep him or rehabilitate him and sell him? Just curious. Thanks for being his saviore (sp?) this Christmas.[/SIZE]

Christy

A big thank you for saving this little guy, it brings tears to my eyes to see those pictures of him, how can people be so cruel.

Good luck and I hope everything works out
default_smile.png

Champ

The poor baby looks so scared--I hope he realizes that all this poking and prodding is out of love. Seeing that auction tag on his little body brought me to tears. Thank you so much for saving him Lindsay. I'll keep you guys in my prayers.

Oh my sweet Lord, and you, Lindsay...are such an angel. Poor little guy. He is in my prayers. Also knowing you the strangles will stay contained...you're a good horse mommy.
default_yes.gif
:

I am so glad you got this little guy. I was crying when I read his description--only to far away in wis to help with him. thanks for getting him and taking care of him. I know he is in good hands.

cyndia

Oh that poor little guy.
default_sad.png
God Bless You for getting him. :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

Hes a sweetie. It does look ocmfy in that trailer :bgrin Hope he gets better. Good Job ! And Happy Holidays!!

What better of a christmas present then to give a really needy horse all the TLC and medical attention that he needs. THis was truly a rescue and I am so glad you were able to help. (((hugs))) to you for caring. Corinne

Oh that poor little guy. God Bless You for getting him.

[SIZE=10pt][/SIZE]

A big ditto - please keep us updated on his progress.

Lori

Last edited by a moderator:
:aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: Lindsey:

Bless you and that little colt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He could be Runts twin. same color and exact same poor shape. Minus the strangles. I will get better pictures and try to post them. You are truely a special person for rescuing him!!!!!!!! Runt and Teddy Bear are doing well and I pray your colt improves as well. They had a little outside time yesterday and it was funny to watch them experience there 1 st snow. All 11 inches of it.

What have you named him???? Good luck and hope to talk with you so we can share our little ones progress.............LEE

Good for you! :aktion033: How DARE people let this happen! How DARE that auction let this poor little soul suffer on their property! I'm so sick of this stuff happening :no: Please give him a hug and kiss for me, I'll be thinking about him.

He was at an auction? Oh my....my heart feels stuck in my stomach reading that (is his story here? I'll do a search).

Bless you for saving him. I am fostering a STB mare that was pulled from the kill pen last Christmas...so she is called "Christmas" ;). Your little guy looks like a Joseph to me....sweet little humble boy.

Poor little guy! Please keep us posted..........

And remember to change clothes after you handle him while he's sick!

Kuddos,

MA

Latest posts

Back