Here are my boys

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K&H Miniatures

Reaction score
I took some pictures last night on gravel so maybe I could get some better pictures for their transfer papers. What do you think of them now? I think they are looking much better. Still have a long way to go. Doing my best to do daily exercise up small hills and a little bit of trotting. Not too rough on Duke though. He is doing better already. Thanks, Kristy

l_d9d67eef849eebfa4e4f28e9f9bbbff2.jpg

l_4f1f7dfef5f88ce31d17aaf7c4e254d5.jpg

l_5271f21fa084cf4704972dd6b5994eb0.jpg

l_68e66de5e72e5786c268c66589222e65.jpg

l_03a88b42a0794bfef4db299526cef71a.jpg

Ricky here was not cooperating. All he could think about was the green grass in my Mom's yard. LOL

l_85d9bac578a57021312d510831b5c6ea.jpg

l_43f211d05209f9fb40aad57ef59867ea.jpg

They are cute boys and I love their colors.

They're not the type of stallion that wins at shows these days, but that doesn't mean they won't be excellent boys for you to enjoy.

With as big boned as they are, I think they'd be much nicer geldings than stallions. Not many are breeding for the stocky / thick kind and I'd be concerned about problems if you bred them to a refined mare.

Please don't take any of this the wrong way because my own favorite, most enjoyed / most loved horses are actually my geldings. Wouldn't trade them for the world.

[SIZE=10pt]Handsome boys! [/SIZE]

I love the first boy...
default_yes.gif

Also, I agree 100% with Jill. Best thing I ever did was geld my colt when the time came.
default_wub.png

They are looking great!

[SIZE=10pt]Ok, I just had to come back and look again! I LOVE Duke's color![/SIZE]

Is he considered a Strawberry Roan? Or something completely different? Everyone knows mini colors are tricky!

The first guy has a great neck set and arch to his neck, pretty head too. Not bad topline, a bit steep in the hip but good length there. His legs however are very upright in all angles, very upright shoulder angle, very shallow angles through the stifle and hock (post legged). This conformation does not make for a very good moving horse for performance and makes work hard on the joints.

The second guy has much better angles in the shoulder and hind quarter though in these photos he looks a bit calf kneed, but not near as nice a neck as the other, at least in these photos. Hard to say much about his topline with these photos. Would make a good driving prospect I think but would need work to get him to give to the bit because of the heavyness of his neck on the bottom side.

It is always hard to evaluate a horse on a few pictures and the second boys pictures did not show him off very well so this is what I see in these photos.

By the way the first boy is one of my favorite colors, not a very common color in minis!

[SIZE=10pt]Ok, I just had to come back and look again! I LOVE Duke's color![/SIZE]

Is he considered a Strawberry Roan? Or something completely different? Everyone knows mini colors are tricky!
On his papers it says red roan. His sire is a silver buckskin and dam is ??? sorrel? His sire is Little Kings Keep Dreamin. You can see him at Camelot Country's Miniature horses. www.camelotcountryminis.com

In fact he is both of their sires. The red roan's mom is a rowdy grandaughter. Their sire has buckeroo, gold melody boy, and kokomos breeding in him. He was a top ten senior stallion in 2004. Thanks for looking, Kristy

Can I suggest haveing somebody work on there feet. The angles on those front feet are way off.

Can I suggest haveing somebody work on there feet. The angles on those front feet are way off.
Their feet are a work in progress. You should have seen them before I had my farrier out 2 weeks ago. They were awful. Way off. Especially on the red roan. She was afraid to do too much at once. The poor guys were hurting. They are both moving much better. I think the previous owner took great care of them, but had a farrier inexperienced with minis trim them. Duke, the red roan, is doing a lot better. Ricky's were not as bad, but had problems of his own. Thanks for suggesting it though. She will need to do them again pretty soon I imagine. It has been 2 weeks since she did them. I will have to catch her her next time through here. Farriers are hard to come by here. I was lucky I even found her on here earlier this year. Kristy

They look a lot better! I would love if you would keep posting pictures as they lose some more weight and get their feet more correct. Ricky's yearling picture looks very nice!!

They look a lot better! I would love if you would keep posting pictures as they lose some more weight and get their feet more correct. Ricky's yearling picture looks very nice!!
I love pictures and would love to keep everyone updated on their progress. They are both lovely boys and very nice. Ricky does need to learn some manners around the mares though. Ricky was shown some when he was a yearling and placed, but not first or second because he would not stand still. He still does not like to stand that still, but with Pat Elder training him he will do great.

They were on Strategy when I got them, and I am currently feeding the same thing. They also had alfalfa at their previous home, but I do not have that here. They are getting good quality bermuda hay at the moment. I am in the process of building/fencing in their own pasture for grazing during the day. It is prairie grass. What is the best way to help them lose weight. Should I slowly change their feed to something else or just reduce it? What about grazing? How much? How long? I turn my mares out during the day and up at night with a little bit of pelleted feed. Thanks, Kristy

I just love seeing pictures of your boys. They are still a bit heavy but they're happy and you can see that...LOVE the shine in Ricky's coat. Definitely keep us updated on them!

I just love seeing pictures of your boys. They are still a bit heavy but they're happy and you can see that...LOVE the shine in Ricky's coat. Definitely keep us updated on them!
Will do. I am going to go out and worm them this evening. Have not done that with them yet so it will be interesting to see how they do with paste wormer. I also have to catch my mares and worm them. They are all three in right now so it could be really interesting. Kristy

Back