Henry!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minidreamz0581

Reaction score
Just wanted to post some recent pictures of the little Brillo pad. Today was the first time that he led forward for me! He’s great at backing up...forward was much harder. He picks up his feet like a little champ! After a donkey (that we no longer own...) tried to kill my dog I swore that I would never have anything to do with longears again as they’re known to be aggressive toward smaller animals.

Henry seemed to confirm my fears when he was basically born kicking. He has attitude to spare and is naughty to the point that no one at the barn wants anything to do with him anymore (at less than 2 months old) I always cheer for the underdog, and since no one else wanted anything to do with him I started working with this unruly little mule. Under his disrespectful exterior, I’ve found an intelligent and misunderstood little fellow. He is hard to work with...you have to put in a lot of effort for little reward. When he truly understands something though his little eyes light up and I just can’t help but care about him. I’ve never trained a mule. I don’t know how to train mules. I have no idea if I’m doing it right or wrong, but Henry seems to be responding positively so I guess I’m doing ok. I’m the only one who can catch him without snatching at him or cornering him.

I have no idea how this will pan out. Part of me would love to be able to train him and use him as a driving mule when he grows up. I’m guessing he’ll grow to be 39” or so. The other part of me is scared to get too attached to this little half donkey hybrid. I’m just going to keep working with him until his owners put him up for sale when he is weaned. Either I’ll train him and buy him, or his training will hopefully give him a good foundation for wherever his life leads him.

For now, here’s some cute pictures of the little dude!

Attachments

• DAA822F5-5B25-4F57-BC45-6CD037BF8D5E.jpeg
    DAA822F5-5B25-4F57-BC45-6CD037BF8D5E.jpeg
    153.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 869FD06D-FD2A-4FD2-AAEC-5DE778D728EB.jpeg
    869FD06D-FD2A-4FD2-AAEC-5DE778D728EB.jpeg
    203.8 KB · Views: 8
I know someone who drives a mule. Mule seems to be happy with the job. I think part of the trick to training them is to let them think what you are asking them to do is "their" idea. Don't ask me how to go about doing that though.
:)I hope you buy him, it sounds like a good fit for you both:)

Just wanted to post some recent pictures of the little Brillo pad. Today was the first time that he led forward for me! He’s great at backing up...forward was much harder. He picks up his feet like a little champ! After a donkey (that we no longer own...) tried to kill my dog I swore that I would never have anything to do with longears again as they’re known to be aggressive toward smaller animals.

Henry seemed to confirm my fears when he was basically born kicking. He has attitude to spare and is naughty to the point that no one at the barn wants anything to do with him anymore (at less than 2 months old) I always cheer for the underdog, and since no one else wanted anything to do with him I started working with this unruly little mule. Under his disrespectful exterior, I’ve found an intelligent and misunderstood little fellow. He is hard to work with...you have to put in a lot of effort for little reward. When he truly understands something though his little eyes light up and I just can’t help but care about him. I’ve never trained a mule. I don’t know how to train mules. I have no idea if I’m doing it right or wrong, but Henry seems to be responding positively so I guess I’m doing ok. I’m the only one who can catch him without snatching at him or cornering him.

I have no idea how this will pan out. Part of me would love to be able to train him and use him as a driving mule when he grows up. I’m guessing he’ll grow to be 39” or so. The other part of me is scared to get too attached to this little half donkey hybrid. I’m just going to keep working with him until his owners put him up for sale when he is weaned. Either I’ll train him and buy him, or his training will hopefully give him a good foundation for wherever his life leads him.

For now, here’s some cute pictures of the little dude!
Wondering how Henry is coming along. Are you still working him? Really cute little guy.

Wondering how Henry is coming along. Are you still working him? Really cute little guy.

I’ve been trying to work with him some, but his attitude makes it very hard to do anything with him sometimes. He’s been trying to sneakily bite me if I let my guard down, and I don’t like turning my back to him because he will sometimes charge at me when my back is turned and try to bite. It’s weird that a two month old is as aggressive as he is. From what I understand his sire is a nasty little donkey and his mother can be quite a pickle. I don’t know if that is why he is the way he is, but it’s concerning that he is acting this way at such a young age. It makes me worry about how he’ll be to handle when he’s too big to out muscle. I’m still going to try to train him, but at the moment I have no plans to buy him. I’ve cried and lost sleep over this little guy because I really want him to have a good life and I love him, but I can’t own an animal I can’t trust.😔

I don't have any experience with donkeys. I've only heard they can be stubborn or harder to train. My mare was really pushy and was a biter...sneaky too. Can still be a bit pushy sometimes but we did get past the biting. I hear you though.... it's not fun to have to always be on guard.
I was putting my hand up flat as if "talk to the hand" when she would try to bite. Or be ready with my elbow when I was picking her front feet. That's a time when she would try to get a nip.
I can't recall which trainer recommended this but when she put her face on me I rubbed all over her muzzle with my hands until she pulled her face away. Eventually she quit biting.
Don't feel bad though for not wanting to take him if he is dangerous. My mare really tested me, pinning her ears and lungung toward me a couple of times in the begining. Be careful! Hoping he learns what behavior is unacceptable.

Pass on him. Been there, done that. You can't save the world. Save your emotional and financial energy for a different donkey. I think the parents' temperament is saying it all. There are sweet donkeys out there; wait for him.
Have to say, though, looking at these recent donkey topics has got me thinking about having one of my own!

I wanted to give an update on Henry...he was sold to a gentleman who just purchased another weanling mini mule. His plans are to drive them as a team when they get older! It was hard to see the little guy go but I’m very happy that he went to a home where he’ll have another long ear to play with. 💚

Latest posts

Back