Hematoma I got this week

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HGFarm

Reaction score
I had my six month old Manx kitty Pearl come down with something this week requiring some liquid medication. Apparently it doesnt taste too good, and just the thought of having to give her several doses of it over the next few days has left me less than thrilled.

The first day was rough, but the second day, as I was holding Pearl after her dose to pet her and let her know it was ok and I really wasn't trying to poison her with something- she decided she had had enough and it was time to leave. She leaped straight up, and happened to used my arm for the spring board to launch herself through the air..... and the very point of one back claw hit a vein in my wrist, and before she even hit the ground, the blood was pouring from it so fast it came out almost black, and began running down my arm.

Wounds on animals and others dont bother me, but I dont want to view my own... and while I sat there staring at this phenomenon that turned red after it hit the air, I grabbed a towel and clamped over it to put pressure on the vein. While sitting on the floor wondering if I should call the neighbors, I kept pressure on it for a couple of minutes and then lifted the towel to see what kind of mess I was going to have. Ok, the blood all over the towel did it, and I broke out in a sweat and recovered the wound, but not before seeing that it was bleeding INSIDE my arm and had formed a huge bubble full of blood under the skin that was about an inch around and stuck up about a quarter inch. The veins in my hand and wrist were also bulging a lot. Ok, now I broke out in a sweat.

I called my IEMT friend and told her what had happened. After her getting in a few jokes and giving me a bad time, she gave me some advise, threw in a couple more jokes- something about trying to do 'suicide by cat' and told me I might want to research other methods of trying to slit my wrists... and we hung up.

I cleaned the area up really good with iodine, put some neosporin on a big gauze pad and took the old handy dandy vet wrap and put a light pressure bandage on the wrist and left it there all night. I unwrapped it before taking a shower in the morning, to see that the height of the pool of blood had gone down some and it had spread out under the skin- and yes, it was pretty tender. No signs of infection or that it was going to bleed further, so I left it unwrapped for the day and off to work I went.

That evening, the entire underside of my wrist was swollen clear to the outside area of it (I type most of the day at a computer, and it hurt all day- the pressure felt like someone had a really firm hold on my wrist) and the discoloration of blood pooled under the skin was spreading- twice as large as it was the day before.

Today, it is even bigger, and measures 3 1/2 inches by 2 inches. In the pic, you can see the 'dot' where her one claw made it's entrance and bullseye! went straight into the vein. This is day four.....

Hematoma1.jpg

Hematoma2.jpg

Who would believe such a thing would happen- that the point of her one claw would happen to hit right on a vein and cause this? It doesnt really hurt today except up in the middle where most of the blood had pooled, but it's not bad, and most of the swelling is gone now.

Here is the offender, the 'evil Pearl', who really wasn't being mean, she just decided to go elsewhere....

Pearl2lay92708.jpg

Pearl292708.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my gosh!!!! That looks painful - glad it doesn't feel as bad as it looks.

Pearl looks so innocent in those photos.......are you sure it wasn't a different kitty

that did that???

That looks really sore. I don't blame you for not wanting to look at your own injury, but it sounds like you pulled yourself together enough to get bandaged up! I sure hope it heals fast so it doesn't interfere with your keyboarding!
default_smile.png

Yes, she has such an innocent little face..... and I'm sure, it was Pearl. LOL Manx have a lot of muscle and very strong back legs, and it was just my luck that she happened to catch it just right.

Now if it had been this kitty, I would have totally understood. In fact, it WOULD have been done on purpose and I would only have a stump remaining below the elbow!!! This is Smokey and this is just her annoyed look. You should see her when she's really angry, LOL!!

Smokeygettingmad92708.jpg

OUCH!!!! That does look painful! You sound a lot like me. When I get myself injured with a cut and such...I immediately cover it up and cannot pry away long enough to see what kind of damage I've done. A couple of times hubby has come over to me to pry my hands away and take a look himself before he lets me know I'll be ok....lol....

Keep an eye on it and make sure it does not get infected.....first thing that comes to mind is cat scratch fever? Don't k now if this can at all produce that.....??? I had to giggle at Smokey's picture...she looks majorly annoyed!!!

Ouch that is how my life goes too! Love those eyes, Pearl is a beautiful cat. I have a couple manx too.

I hope you are better today. Please do keep an eye on it. Cat scratch fever can be bad. It is when the bacteria from their nails gets into the blood stream. You should monitor your temp for the next week just to be on the safe side.

My brother got it and was sick for quite a while. I usually don't worry about it I get scratches all the time but since this hit your vein I would be more concerned.

Thanks you guys - I had always thought that Cat Scratch Fever was a joke, not a real problem until my neighbor mentioned it and told me to go look it up on the internet!!
default_new_shocked.gif
Wouldn't the area look infected or something or does it just get into the blood stream from the injury?

It's pretty ugly today.. green, purple, etc... and sore in the area where the puncture is. I will keep an eye on it... and my temp, thanks for the warnings!

Maxi's you have Manx too?? I love them- have had them for over 30 years now and just wouldnt have any other kind of cat.

LOL, that is Smokey's slightly annoyed look- you should see her when she gets actually angry or upset!! She could be used in one of those terror movies!

Yikes, your poor arm!!
default_new_shocked.gif
I hope it heals up with no complications.

My daughter has a Manx, she looks more like your Smoky than Pearl-- Pooky can be pretty darn grumpy at times but my daughter just adores her, and she CAN be nice when she wants to, lol!

Get well soon!

OH MY Laurie, that looks really bad. It so strange on how such a freak accident like that can happen. You should have went to the hospital....Keep an eye on that wound.Pearl is just beautiful!! Joyce

I hope your wrist is healing up well. Just wanted to check on you and I also attached a picture of THE PRINCESS
default_rolleyes.gif
"Purdy"
IMG01610.jpg

Latest posts

Back