Helpful Hints to Prepare for IKE

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SWA

Reaction score
I was just posting on another forum, as someone asked for help to get prepared for Ike, and just hope in posting "here" too, will offer help for any in immediate need...

------------------------------------

It's a tough call on whether to leave your horses out (in an open field) or not. Flying debris can be deadly, yet, so can collapsing buildings. Whether they are kept "in" or "out", do keep halters on them at all times through the storm, just in case. It is my personal choice though, to keep them inside, if the ability is there for you.

However, just in case a wall gets torn down, heaven forbid, keeping halters will hopefully allow for easy recapture once that too is an ability for you. Yes, there is the risk of halters getting caught, but in the event you might have to "GRAB AND GO", you will be thankful their halters are already on them.

Take pictures of them too while you can, for helpful ID purposes, should there be a need to search for them later.

Keep your bath tubs (and any other type of containers you can spare), full of clean fresh water NOW, just in case of power failure.

Have batteries on hand, a radio, flashlights, non-perishable foods, a generator if you have one, just do NOT run it indoors, not even in a garage...as that is how we lost a fellow locally when Fay was looking down on us.

Gosh, there is so much more prepare too, I'll try to post as I can think of things.

Most importantly though, please know all there in Ike's path are in our hearts and fervant prayers. Hunker down, stay safe, and PLEASE keep in contact with us as you are able, so we know you are doing OK.

Hugs and prayers,

Tanya

Ok, just thought of a couple more...

Have lead ropes and dog leashes (if you have dogs too) on hand where you can "leash" them at a moment's notice if needed.

If you have smaller animals, cats or small dogs, if possible go ahead and crate them NOW so they too are ready to "Grab and go" if needed.

WIll post more as I think of things... {{{HUGS&KEEPSAFE}}}

-----------------------------------

Hope this helps...and hope others will add advice from their experience with storms such as IKE and the inevitable tornadoes that Hurricanes will spawn...
default_wub.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, that was weird. At first I thought my post was "deleted", but now see it was just "moved" to another board on the forum. My apologies for "missplacement" of my post. I thought it was relevant to ML's post that is on the main forum board asking folks to post of their help in Hurricane Ike. Again, my apologies for misunderstanding the proper place to post this information.
default_wacko.png
I only hoped to offer help. My apologies, to have imposed.
default_unsure.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back