Helpful Hints for foaling season....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't really have anything new to add. Lots of excellent advice here!

Like others, I sleep in my clothes when I think foaling is imminent.

I ALWAYS give my mares Banamine right after foaling. As soon as she's foaled and I've taken care of the foal, I get the Banamine and give the mare a dose. I don't want my mares crampy and laying down a lot after the foal is born. I want them comfortable and up on their feet to take care of the foal. In fact, it may be detrimental to their health to not have something for pain! One of my clients mares foaled this last year and did not receive anything for pain after foaling. She did pass the placenta and continued to be crampy and kept pushing. She ended up partially prolapsing her uterus. This might have been prevented if she had been given Banamine after foaling.

Like others have said, milk the mare and give the foal some colostrum as soon as the foal shows some suck reflex. Colostrum is almost like rocket fuel for a foal and it nearly always gives them a lot more strength and a lot more desire to look for the milk bar!

And for those that are new at this, it's easy to milk the mare making your own 'breast pump'. Take a 60cc syringe, remove the plunger, cut the pointed end of the syringe off and insert the plunger back into the syringe throught the end you cut off. Voila! A breast pump! All you do is put the flat end of the syringe over the nipple next to the udder and gently pull back on the plunger. Normally, milk comes right out. I then put that milk into another syringe and feed the foal.

Boy! Someone ought to turn this into a book! Very good suggestions here.

I haven't read all 5 pages yet, but I would mention to watch a newborn foal for signs of hypothermia if the temperature is 70 degrees or below.......it may be way cooler down on the floor where he is. A cold foal will become lethargic and sleep too much. Might be difficult to rouse and not real enthusiastic about nursing.

Just be aware of what is normal and watch for any deviation.

default_wub.png
: I just LOVE this time of year! YAAAAAWN
default_wacko.png
:

Charlotte

p.s. is everyone going to post here as the foals arrive?

Just curious for those that milk the mare to get baby fed, how much do you express to feed for the first time and how much Banimine do you give the mare for cramps?

What a great thread to copy!

We also keep on hand in the refrigerator (has a long shelf life)

Equine IGG (Seramune)

Designed especially for failure of passive transfer of lgG from Colostrum. Administered orally to a foal in the first 12 hours of life in two even amounts 1-2 hours apart for best results. Can also be given to healthy foals at birth to ensure they are getting full protection.

This is especially great to use until you can get the IgG checked by the vet if you think the mare did not have colostrum..Does not actually take the place of IV plasma transfer if your IgG's actually test low but helps give them a boost in addition to get their levels up. But wonderful for maiden mares whose colostrum is not full of antibodies like a seasoned mare. Also for those of you that don't have immediate vet assistance available. A $65 bottle will provide at least 4 minis with assistance.

Important to know is that if you've had to use Domperidone for milk production, the first milk is not colostrum rich. These foals need IgG levels checked for sure.

We also give each foal the following:

Equine E Coli Endotox Paste

Equine antiserum used to prevent endotozemia and diarrhea caused by Escherichia coli in newborn foals. Administer orally within 12 hours of birth. Our vet has us give 1/2 syringe to each mini foal.

Also don't forget to give mare Ivermectin dewormer within 12 hours of birth or 12 hours prior (if you know when that is going to be :lol:)

Our vet also has us give each foal a little enema after it nurses for the first time..You may think they have passed all the meconium but it is amazing to see those little bullets fly out after the enema that they are still holding in prior to the enema. Sure makes them happier..but very very carefully do you give an enema or taking rectal temps on the little ones.

As always check with your vet before trying any of the advice given on this forum..They will want you prepared.. Remember this is their busiest time of the year so having everything on hand will help everyone through a successful foaling season..

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE ON THIS MOST EXCITING TIME OF THE YEAR

Just curious for those that milk the mare to get baby fed, how much do you express to feed for the first time and how much Banimine do you give the mare for cramps?

What a great thread to copy!

We give the baby between 15 to 20 cc's of mom's milk for their first feeding. Mom gets a half dose of Banamine, according to her weight and if she is extremely crampy, we give her the other half. And while we are popping things in her mouth, we also worm her with Ivermectin at the same time.

Once the newborn is on its feet, we give mom some mash. Many times the mare will stand still long enough while eating that her foal will discover at least what area of mom's body the milk is coming from!

MA

This is just the thread I needed!!! My rescue mini is assumed to be foaling in a few months. She goes back to the vet this weekend for more shots and hopefully another ultrasound to see if we can find a leg and measure it. But the last time she was USd the foal was kicking!

And mad have I had my share with retained placentas! Not a fun deal. (My big mare aborted again at 8 months in December...unfortunately I was home alone and my parents were out of the country...)

And I agree with having the vet on speed-dial. Luckily I got myself together and called the vet. But then I didn't know what to do so I was just calling people left and right!

I have a question about graining the dam...Say the dam foals late afternoon/early evening...should you grain that dinner? Cut it in half or anything?

Charlotte, I HAVE a book going since I have been on this forum, I have been keeping all the little helpful hints that I felt we're important, and in the horse club we started last fall, out secretary keeps telling me she is going to put a corner in the newsletter, and call it Corinnes "HINT" corner! I will ask ML, maybe we can have this pinned for awhile, since foaling season is coming upon us. Thanks everyone for adding, I am sure the newbies will really appreciate all the hints on this, just PLEASE remember these are only our HELPFUL HINTS and are not to be taken to replace the VET, and are also our opinion only as to what we feel is helpful. Corinne

WOW--that was fast! Thank you ML. Corinne

Wonderful information. Anytime you go into a mare make sure she is put on antibiotics and I always have my mares flushed after foaling. This cleans them out and puts them in the best position to rebreed. Cultures can frequently come back dirty because of the normal flora after birth and then you have to flush anyway so I routinely flush.

Always check the placenta after birth to make sure all the pieces are there. Even a small piece of placenta can cause a terrible infection leading to laminitis if left untreated.

When labor starts, LEAVE THE MARE ALONE until she reaches the point of no return and then be ready to assist if needed. A mare will stop labor until she feels safe. This is a survival mechanism. This is where cameras are invaluable as I can watch from the house until she reaches that point and then go to the barn.

Be very careful giving an enema as a torn rectum will result in a dead foal.

Dental floss for tying the umbilical cord is always in my foaling kit. Every year I have cords that don't tear.

Michelle from Wesco and I talked at length about foals born with one leg back without problems which came in very handy when I talked Sandy's first time foaling, nonhorse husband through that situation over the phone until Sandy could get there from work. Pick everyones brains you can for information as even very experienced people learn new things.

Good call Karla! No one has posted that this year!

When each mare is bagging up, we take a small bucket of warm water and a wash cloth and wash their udder too. It's important to get up inbetween the teats/bags and "dig" out the the crud.
default_unsure.png
:

Our girls are antsy and unsure at first but end up enjoying it.

MA

When the mare is contracting and you are watching for the foal’s front feet to come out (facing down) with the head close behind it, don’t tear the sack until you are sure that it is in the correct position. If the foal is in an incorrect position you can push the foal back in if the sack hasn’t been torn. The sack creates a slippery barrier between the foal and the mare’s uterus. I’ve seen foals that were presented in an incorrect position, pushed back in (they weren’t very far out) for the trailer ride to the vet hospital and in the process the foal turned itself to the correct position and was delivered without any problem.

We also keep on hand in the refrigerator (has a long shelf life)

Equine IGG (Seramune)

Designed especially for failure of passive transfer of lgG from Colostrum. Administered orally to a foal in the first 12 hours of life in two even amounts 1-2 hours apart for best results. Can also be given to healthy foals at birth to ensure they are getting full protection.

This is especially great to use until you can get the IgG checked by the vet if you think the mare did not have colostrum..Does not actually take the place of IV plasma transfer if your IgG's actually test low but helps give them a boost in addition to get their levels up. But wonderful for maiden mares whose colostrum is not full of antibodies like a seasoned mare. Also for those of you that don't have immediate vet assistance available. A $65 bottle will provide at least 4 minis with assistance.

Important to know is that if you've had to use Domperidone for milk production, the first milk is not colostrum rich. These foals need IgG levels checked for sure.

We also give each foal the following:

Equine E Coli Endotox Paste

Equine antiserum used to prevent endotozemia and diarrhea caused by Escherichia coli in newborn foals. Administer orally within 12 hours of birth. Our vet has us give 1/2 syringe to each mini foal.

Also don't forget to give mare Ivermectin dewormer within 12 hours of birth or 12 hours prior (if you know when that is going to be :lol:)

Our vet also has us give each foal a little enema after it nurses for the first time..You may think they have passed all the meconium but it is amazing to see those little bullets fly out after the enema that they are still holding in prior to the enema. Sure makes them happier..but very very carefully do you give an enema or taking rectal temps on the little ones.

As always check with your vet before trying any of the advice given on this forum..They will want you prepared.. Remember this is their busiest time of the year so having everything on hand will help everyone through a successful foaling season..

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE ON THIS MOST EXCITING TIME OF THE YEAR
Hi!
default_unsure.png
: I was just woundering if you give the Banamine in the vein or would it be ok to give it in the muscle? I know it takes longer if given in the muscle... But I'm not a comfortable about giving a vein shot? And "when exactly" are you suppose to milk the mare? So you have a bottle of the mare's milk to give the to baby?

Thanks!!!
default_blush.png
:

This is so cool Corrinne!

I use one of those huge popcorn tins you get at walmart over the holidays for my birthing kit.

I have gloves which I never did get on with the red bag last year. KY jelly, I did use that although as soon as I broke the red bag we were very lubed, my head lamp even though there is a light above each stall, a sharp sterile pair of scissors in case you need to cut the cord, novalsan and iodine, unscented fanny wipes, great for quick clean ups after. Tons of soft unscented towels already rubbed on mom. A trash bag for the placenta, banamine already drawn with the needle ready to be removed. I give it orally immediately when mom gets up. No need for ouchies at this wonderful moment. A watch to tell time of birth, cell or portable phone, a clean unscented sheet (sure came in handy for my Techno who sure shocked me, just slipped it uder her bum and we were clean. A baby enema(which i lacked last year), lots of chocolate for me, I keep a big soft shirt of my dad's to wear for the birthing. Makes me feel like he's there helping me stay calm. Popscicle sticks for some folks, the membranes can be tough to rupture and the sticks are easy to crack and tear with then toss over the stall door although I did it with my nails the one time needed. I also keep clean soft unscented washcloths handy for cleaning the baby's face and mama's privates. I take a thermos of really warm water out with me too. I swear when I put the warm cloth on Thera's swollen sore vulva after she had Missy she groaned in great pleasure. I continued to warm press her often. Gosh what else....I bed with the softest straw with sawdust under it, after the birth I use a muck bucket and remove the yuk and wet and rebed. OH and a camera! Gotta get on the forum asap to tell everyone, right!

I wish one and all a wonderful healthy foaling season. This is so super Corrine. The LB main page also has super info on red bags and malpositions and such. Without it and all your wonderful info I would have lost Missy.

WONDERFUL tips to remind us all!

In addition to doing most of the above my favorite is to microwave towels and washcloths and tuck them into an insulated bag like the type you get to carry frozen goods from the grocery store..we shake them out and check for hot spots and roll them up and tuck them in the bag , seal it up and walaaa nice toasty towels to dry off baby, mom and our hands
default_smile.png
Whoever gets to the barn last, brings the bag LOL only takes about 3 minutes to warm up 2-3 towels and 3-4 washcloths..or if I'm home alone when daytime births occur I preheat them when I think we are getting close, the warm lasts quite awhile! I have them ready now..two mares are close!

This is great, all good information!

Just wanted to add, visit my webpages on signs of foaling, so you know what to watch for:

All photos are of actual Miniature Horses.

Foaling Signs

I also want to highlight the journal, I keep a journal on the pregnant mare starting at 300 days and keep track of their changes up until foaling. It is very valuable information, and if you sell the mare will be appreciated by the new owners as well.

The Crayonboxminiature site has great foaling info and photos. It was one of the first sites I stumbled upon when I started gathering info. The photos really help a lot.

Can you share more information with me regarding the previously recommended Ivermectin treatment after foaling? Why do you feel it is important prior to the 12 hour point? Just wondering as I have seen it mentioned several times.

Thanks

"Also don't forget to give mare Ivermectin dewormer within 12 hours of birth or 12 hours prior (if you know when that is going to be ) "

Regarding Ivermectin use within 12 hours of foaling:

Studies indicated that oral ivermectin administered to the mare within 12 hours of birth could prevent the development of certain intestinal parasites in their foals. Further studies have shown that the ivermectin treatment could essentially provide the foals an opportunity for begininng life free of infestation by the parasite Strongyloides westeri and less colics associated with this type parasite. The timing is crucial within 12 hours after birth and the use of ivermectin..No other product provides the same results.

Strongyloides westeri (Threadworms)

-Lifecycle:

Ingestion of larvae or penetration through the skin

Larvae that enter through the skin migrate to the lungs and into trachea

Coughed up and swallowed

Larvae mature into adults in the small intestine

Adults females lay eggs that are passed in the feces

-Only females worms are parasitic

-PPP= 6-10 days

-Pathogenesis

Invasion: Pyogenic streptococci may be associated with skin penetration

Migration: Usually causes food problems

Intestinal: Adults are embedded in mucosa and lamina propria and cause villous atrophy

Enteritis and diarrhea are common in heavily infected foals

-Diagnosis: small embryonated eggs in feces

-Immunity: Older animals are immune but are carriers. Mares are a reservoir; larvae in paramammary tissue

-Control: Routine worming program

Ivermectin treatment of mares within 12 hours postpartum significantly reduces transmission to foals

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding Ivermectin use within 12 hours of foaling:

Studies indicated that oral ivermectin administered to the mare within 12 hours of birth could prevent the development of certain intestinal parasites in their foals. Further studies have shown that the ivermectin treatment could essentially provide the foals an opportunity for begininng life free of infestation by the parasite Strongyloides westeri and less colics associated with this type parasite. The timing is crucial within 12 hours after birth and the use of ivermectin..No other product provides the same results.

Strongyloides westeri (Threadworms)

-Lifecycle:

Ingestion of larvae or penetration through the skin

Larvae that enter through the skin migrate to the lungs and into trachea

Coughed up and swallowed

Larvae mature into adults in the small intestine

Adults females lay eggs that are passed in the feces

-Only females worms are parasitic

-PPP= 6-10 days

-Pathogenesis

Invasion: Pyogenic streptococci may be associated with skin penetration

Migration: Usually causes food problems

Intestinal: Adults are embedded in mucosa and lamina propria and cause villous atrophy

Enteritis and diarrhea are common in heavily infected foals

-Diagnosis: small embryonated eggs in feces

-Immunity: Older animals are immune but are carriers. Mares are a reservoir; larvae in paramammary tissue

-Control: Routine worming program

Ivermectin treatment of mares within 12 hours postpartum significantly reduces transmission to foals
Thank you so much, Ivermectin will be in my foaling kit in the future. Anne

Back