Help?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SammyL

Reaction score
Ok everyone, I need ideas.
default_smile.png

I am a senior in High school and am looking for a job.

I had a job at a resturant washing dishes, but then I quit to be mentored by Angie Sauer, owner of Buck on Broadway. I love, love working out there, by the way. But I don't get paid there. I go there to learn from her, etc.
default_wub.png

But now, with gas and everything else, money is getting tight around my house.

I want to take some of the burden away from my parents.

The problem is, I have looked into every business around town and no one is hiring.

I would love to work with animals and get paid too do it. I have tried the vet clinic, telling them I will do anything, but they never call me back.

I have called/emailed a nearby stable to see if they need a hired hand, but they also never get back to me.

I live out in the country, and I thought that maybe I could walk dogs. I have a friend who lives in town and maybe we could make her house a central point for the people to bring their dogs so we could walk them. I don't know...

I am really good with all types of animals, so does anyone have ideas on what I could do that would involve animals?

Thanks for any help.

You might try putting an ad on a web site like Craigslist.com, stating what you are looking for, or what you are willing to do. I did just that, and while I didnt really get any money, I did manage to find just what I was looking for. I ended up working for a John Lyons Certified trainer, helping her with her horses, in exchange for a place to park my camper, and live. I did my work in exchange for rent, elec. water and cable tv. Pretty good deal, as I learned a bunch, and had my choice of 40 horses to play with!

A quick idea you might want to try is a simple dog washing service. Bathe, trim nails, clean ears.... You can offer drop offs at your place, you wash the pup, and happy owner returns to a fresh smelling dog! Or you could offer the services to the elderly in your area, where you go to them. You couldnt charge much, but its a start.

Offer Transportation and simple services to elderly or people who cant get around. ( assuming you have a good driving record and people who can give you references) Offer simple rides to Drs. appts, do the grocery shopping...

Horse work... Go around to farms, offering services of grooming, exercising, stall cleaning.

If you know people in the area, just let them know that you are there and willing to do whatever you can to earn a little money. It might be a slow start, but word gets around, if you are good, prompt, polite... Something bigger might come of it.

Living in the country can be a challenge, I know!!!!

If you want to get into a vets office, or shelter, sometimes its easier to start volunteering time cleaning kennels, walking dogs... That way you are in the loop, and the staff can see your dedication, and if a job comes up that they feel you can do, you will be at the top of the list to get offered the position. They would rather offer the job to someone already there, and not have to waste time advertising and interviewing.

Shelters are usually non profit, so few if any who are there are paid. The work is also hard and at times heartbreaking, so prepare yourself for that.

If you are close enough to your vet, you might try talking to them, telling them you have an interest in animal medicine, and you would like to spend a week in the clinic, just to get the feel for it... Anything that gets your foot in the door!!!!

If you havent already, prepare a resume, or if you dont have much to put on it, a nice informative introduction letter, stating who you are, GPA in school, interests, hobbies, life skills you may have. Dress nicely, I find that for vet work, jeans and a nice shirt works well, not too much makeup... Go back to the clinics, fill out an application, and leave your resume or letter with it. You have to show that you are adult enough to fill the position, and that you are not just some "kid" looking for an easy job!!! Some clinics will train for vet tech positions, but usually you start in reception or the kennels.

Quick thought, is there a local dog groomer? You could try offering dog washing with them.

Babysitting, petsitting, housesitting....house cleaning....

Good luck! I respect any young adult who wants to help in his/her own care!!! BRAVO to you!!!! Your parents must be proud!!!!

you might also go to the humane society and volunteer, that's what my nephew and I am doing.

I also love animals and wanted to work somewhere with them.

Sammy, summer is nearly over around here anyway. School will be kicking in next month.

I think you should go back to your washing dishes job if possible because it was a paycheck; although I hate to say it; or find a job as close to your school as possible so when you return, you will still have a job that is convenient.

Keep in mind that kids are going to be going back to college and there will be places around that will have to fill those positions they presently hold once they are gone. Good luck in your search.

Thanks everyone.

School starts after Labor Day for me.

Tomorrow I headed into town to see if the pizza place will hire me. It is owned by my teacher's husband and this teacher knows I am a hard worker, etc. So we'll see.

I may not like it, but it's a pay check.
default_smile.png

If the pizza place doesn't work out..........Have you thought of starting your own small business? Such as, pet sitting or yard work?

Great ideas! Especially perhaps washing dogs and brushing them out at your place- that would require NO gas on your behalf, or perhaps even offer pick up and drop off within a few miles for a small fee also if you can.

Yes, your parents must be proud to have a responsible young adult like you using your head about such things and not just expecting things on a silver platter! Good for you!! You have drive and motivation and you will find the right thing- sometimes it just takes time. Even if you find a job you are not thrilled about, do a great job- it is another addition to your resume, and when you DO find that job you want, they may be glad to give you a recommendation also- that can mean a lot. And while you are pulling in a paycheck at that job, dont give up looking for the one you really want.
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Pizza place isn't hiring.

So, next I am heading to the nursing home. They have positions open that require no experience, mainly clean-up.

If the nursing home doesn't work out...well, I don't know, I'll figure something out.

Thanks for the ideas!

Latest posts

Back