Help.....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mini1

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what to look for to indicate impending lambing in ewes?

I have raised horses of all sizes for years and am trying to apply some of that to the sheep but wondered if there were any other tips or things to look for.

Thank you in advance

Kelly

The one thing they will usually do is move away from the flock, so even in a barn they will try to move away from the other ewes. Mine would get restless, eating almost obsessively or laying down and getting up repeatedly. Some would have a bit of discharge and swelling/softening of the vulva. And just like horses they will wait until you absolutely have to run in and pee
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

They will get a very soft dark pink vulva, with some discharge. Look at their sides and often paw at the ground. They will go to be alone, and do alot of lying down, getting up, and panting. This can go on for a day or so.

They'll be really sunken in around the hips, very dropped off at the tail head, vulva will be elongated and very loose, udder will swell and become shiney (some may drip/squirt milk), there will be discharge.. When they get close to lambing inside the vulva will be red, they will look for a place to be alone, a lot of laying down, getting up.. When they actually get down to business they will lay down and pant, they'll raise their head up high and do a lot of bleating/baa-ing with the contractions.. Labor/delivery is just like that of horses, if carrying twins she'll deliver the first, get up and clean it for a short time before contractions pick up for the second lamb and so on.. We raised sheep for a few years while I was in FFA and I'll tell you they are MUCH MUCH MUCH more easy to predict than any of our mares, I caught every single lambing unlike the mares where I have yet to catch a foaling! :DOH!

Back