HELP!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The spray I talked about turns to a dusty chalk material when dry. The rulebook says you can't change the horses coat color. This would not change the color. It would be blending the bald spot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, double post...

Last edited by a moderator:
kaykay said:
Be careful with what you use. Its against the rules to color body hair. You can only color manes and tails. I think you could get by with black chalk but I would not use spray color on the body. It "could" get you a DQ and it runs really easy especially if use fly spray, pepi etc
IMO she wouldn't be "coloring body hair," as in applying a product to make the color artificially look better or turn her a more attractive shade. She'd be hiding a blemish, which as far as I know most certainly is not against the rules. If it is, anyone and everyone who puts black makeup on their horses' faces would be DQ'd! People routinely spray black stockings, dye the leg hair of duns or silver buckskins, use corn starch or grooming chalk on white legs...this is the same thing.

Leia

My buckskin stud rubbed his face raw to the point it was pink on his black muscle a couple of weeks ago do to allergies. We started him on meds and his skin colored back up in a matter of DAYS! and I didnt put anything on the skin, just dex shots so I think that she will color up pretty quick in lots of time for your show and if you are body clipping you shouldnt even notice it. Good luck at the show and let us know how you did!!!

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will have to see what she does by then on whether or not it would even need covered up. The skin already looks tons better just using MTG! I am hopeful that she might get at least a little bit of hair back by next week. Luckily she is black or it would probably show a lot worse on a different colored horse. Thanks again!

I am just saying be careful because like most of our AMHR rules its open to interpretation. Heres the exact rule:

Changing the coat color of a horse is not permitted but

highlighting the mane and tail, eyes, ears, muzzle, etc.,

is permissible

So is covering up a bald spot changing the color? I don't think it is. Is using chalk on the legs changing the color? Again I personally don't think it is. But I can tell you two years ago a judge swiped her hand along my fillies black legs (bay pinto) to see if color came off. None did because I did not chalk or spray that fillies legs. If I had - I have a feeling I would have got the gate.

Now I also see people do it all the time! But it would be my luck that I would be the one with a judge that will give you the gate for it LOL.

I just don't want her to see her get the gate at a National show.

And like I said many of those color sprays will start running if you also use fly spray or pepi with them. I used a color spray once years ago when a mare came in heat during the show and it was impossible to keep her back legs white. It turned out horrible as the stuff started running off in drops.

The good thing is body hair grows back really quickly.

Latest posts

Back