HELP!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maple Hollow Farm

Reaction score
So my weanling filly I am taking to Nationals decided a couple nights ago to rub hair off her shoulder on the edge of the feeder! Is there any hope of getting it to at least partially grow back before the 13th (when we leave) or am I not going to be able to show her? It is a decent sized spot that will definitely be noticeable! I washed her with medicated shampoo and rinsed it off really well, then applied MTG to it. Not sure if there is anything else you guys have tried but thought I would ask for opinions. I also switched stalls so that she cant rub anymore. Thanks for any advice or opinions I can get!

Edited to add that she has been treated for lice and other bugs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont know if its allowed but couldnt you pull a few tail hairsand either glue them or weave them into the bald patch ?

l just read your post again and realised you said shoulder - l thought you meant her mane !

Got a picture? What color is she? Any chance of clipping her really close so that its not as noticeable?

Ive had good luck (better than mtg) using preparation H to get hair to grow back.

My guess would be that putting hair artificially there would not be allowed but not sure. I have a picture before she decided to rub it off actually was taken the previous afternoon. She is simply solid black though and of course where it is rubbed off it is looking fairly pink since I am sure it irritated it a bit. I am hoping to see some improvement quickly but will have to see. Mydaddysjag- what is preparation H and where do you get it. My main goal right now is to get that irritated skin back to smooth and happy rather than wrinkled and angry LOL! I will keep going with the MTG until I find something else.

My guess would be that putting hair artificially there would not be allowed but not sure. I have a picture before she decided to rub it off actually was taken the previous afternoon. She is simply solid black though and of course where it is rubbed off it is looking fairly pink since I am sure it irritated it a bit. I am hoping to see some improvement quickly but will have to see. Mydaddysjag- what is preparation H and where do you get it. My main goal right now is to get that irritated skin back to smooth and happy rather than wrinkled and angry LOL! I will keep going with the MTG until I find something else.
LOL...I had to giggle at your question about what Preparation H is...
default_laugh.png
It is for people and sold in any drugstore...It is for hemorroids (not sure how that's spelled).
default_wink.png

LOL...I had to giggle at your question about what Preparation H is...
default_laugh.png
It is for people and sold in any drugstore...It is for hemorroids (not sure how that's spelled).
default_wink.png

Well I guess it is good that I have never needed to know what it is ROFL!

Here is the picture of her before she rubbed it. The spot is right in the middle of her shoulder about 2"x3" size rub.

DSCF2372edit.JPG

Here is the picture of her before she rubbed it. The spot is right in the middle of her shoulder about 2"x3" size rub.
Since she is all black and you wouldn't be changing her natural color, can you use something to cover it up? Like hair dye? I was thinking perhaps something like mascara the day of the show to cover the pink skin so its not so noticeable. I don't know what to suggest to help the spot heal; but hopefully some hair will regrow before you show, then something like mascara or suitable hair touch-up to make the spot less noticeable during showing.

It will probably be fine, but I would put her in a slinky to help protect the area. Keep her in it until after the show. I used to have to use one on my TB gelding, he would get blanket rubs.

They make black chalk or black makeup that you can put on it to show her and when she is done wipe it off so as to no irritate the area. Its the same thing you would use on a muzzle to cover any blemishes.

Yes, I secong the prep H and cover with a slinky. If the area is still very noticible maybe add a bit of the black show makeup at the show.

I would use Preparation H for a few days to calm her skin then try Cornucrescine to help the hair grow.

Good luck

They make a black chalk (it comes in other colors too) for dogs that are shown. It should cover your problem.

There is a black spray that many cattle people use on their show cows.NASCO sells it&I'm sure they could ship you some FAST.There must be a place horse people get it too since it is often used on the legs of buckskin horses to enhance the black stockings.good luck-hair grows quicker than we usually want it to grow Try WalMart Halloween is coming and all kinds of stuff is there now.

I am not much help since I never showed a horse. I hope her hair grows fast for you.

My personal experience was when my vet shaved my horse to draw blood this spring and used a surgical blade and took my boy's neck hair to the skin in a big patch
default_new_shocked.gif
:shocked She did it so fast that I dropped my jaw because she used a surgical blade and it looked awful.

Since it was spring I was amazed at how fast the hair grew right back in so maybe since our horses are moving coat right now your filly will grow it back in as fast as my boys coat did this past spring. The only problem was that it grew back a different color and was very noticable at first.

My giggle to contribute for no other reason than to be funny was remembering those commericals advertizing a hair loss product where somebody would spray a guys bald head with that thickening spray can of goop and fill in the bald spot and you supposedly couldn't tell the guy painted his head with a spray can to cover up the bald spot??? Maybe you are all too young to remember that one. LOL. guess you had to be there. That is what came to mind when you described the bald spot on your filly.

Good luck with your filly, let us know what happens.

Two ideas! first is simple black majic marker, the second is black bees wax you can buy that in the hair dept. at walmart, I use it on nicks from razoring, and in ears.

The best way to get hair to grow back in real quick is with stimulation, rub the area several times a day with oil or ointment or even preparation H but the rubbing cases blood flow to the area to help get the hair to grow and soften the skin.

Oh no, you know she did it because she knows it Nationals in a few days! My neighbors took a really nice 2 year old filly one year- I went over there one day about a month before Nationals and said "where is her tail??!!" One of their other horses had chewed it off- GONE. They almost passed out when they saw it. She went to Nationals with a short tail.

We have found that plain old Vaseline is great at growing hair back in.

Be careful with what you use. Its against the rules to color body hair. You can only color manes and tails. I think you could get by with black chalk but I would not use spray color on the body. It "could" get you a DQ and it runs really easy especially if use fly spray, pepi etc

Lot's of good ideas here.

Be careful using products on the body that wipes off on your hand. If a judge notices something and brushes his/her hand over it revealing product, you would face d.q. as Kay said.

Wishing you best of luck at Nationals and do tell us how it went and your successes.

Latest posts

Back