Help with some ground manners during PARADES!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did some ground work with Phantom this afternoon. He was a perfect gentleman! So…. he definitely was just very frightened in that last parade.
I agree that more ground work is key. The more "weird" things you can get him used to, the better. They learn to trust you, every time you introduce them to new items or movements or obstacles. One other thing you might try is earplugs. It's hard to practice the level of noise in a parade. Earplugs don't remove the sound, but they dampen it a bit, and for some horses they really make a difference! You can buy horse sized ones from tack stores, but I think for a mini, I would just take a wad of cotton wrap (or maybe two or three extra large cotton balls). You should practice putting them in at home, some object more to having something in their ears! Push them down in the ear so you can just barely see them, or they'll shake them right out. Good luck!

That might be a good idea. The mounted shooters used to use soft cat toy balls. They compress really well and the horses tolerate them. Of course there are real horse ear plugs too. But either of them could be too big to be comfortable for him.

I don't know if this will help you any, but I have one that if I lead her with a loose lead she's fine. If I get nervous and start putting pressure on the lead, she will put pressure back the whole time. Not only forward, but towards me.
I’m going to give that a try
I agree that more ground work is key. The more "weird" things you can get him used to, the better. They learn to trust you, every time you introduce them to new items or movements or obstacles. One other thing you might try is earplugs. It's hard to practice the level of noise in a parade. Earplugs don't remove the sound, but they dampen it a bit, and for some horses they really make a difference! You can buy horse sized ones from tack stores, but I think for a mini, I would just take a wad of cotton wrap (or maybe two or three extra large cotton balls). You should practice putting them in at home, some object more to having something in their ears! Push them down in the ear so you can just barely see them, or they'll shake them right out. Good luck!
I actually jokingly thought of ears plugs ! I had know idea they are used with horses! Thanks for the information. This group is absolutely awesome.

What great advice! The parades are supposed to be fun for all of us. If earplugs would make Phantom more comfortable during a parade that would be terrific. I want him to enjoy the event to not be a HORROR SHOW.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My 5yr old miniature Appaloosa “Phantom “ seems to lose a lot of his ground manners during parades. I lead him and he continuously pushes me with his shoulder. This was his fourth parade today and he has just gotten worse. He was all over the place. I had him on a stud chain and that helps but I need something more. His brother, Apache, is lead by my daughter and its is like walking a dog. I’m a senior and don’t need him pushing on me!

Attachments

• CBD0706D-ECFC-4401-87F8-95E93830CEF4.jpeg
    CBD0706D-ECFC-4401-87F8-95E93830CEF4.jpeg
    331.9 KB · Views: 0
Positive association is maybe a thing to consider. Also, there are calming aids that could help. It may be that he has some ulcery stuff happening in his tummy that's causing him to be extra uncomfortable in that big stimulus environment. Phillippe, my donkey, would crawl into my pocket if he could when we enter a new situation. It takes him a while to get comfortable. Once he does, he's awesome. So it's a LOT of slow exposure for him. Nothing too big, but going out to workshops and clinics with obstacles and new people/animals, new locations, etc. But it's also positive association, so behaviors that are familiar to him that he can be successful with, people respecting his space.

Aside: The last clinic we went to, a lady asked right away if her Vanner could come up and investigate Phillippe because it had never seen a tiny donkey before. I appreciate that she asked, but I declined because my donkey was feeling overwhelmed and I certainly didn't want to cause more stress and discomfort by bringing another unfamiliar animal right up close to him.

Hopefully you find what works well for you both and you're able to safely and enjoyably participate in more parades together.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My 5yr old miniature Appaloosa “Phantom “ seems to lose a lot of his ground manners during parades. I lead him and he continuously pushes me with his shoulder. This was his fourth parade today and he has just gotten worse. He was all over the place. I had him on a stud chain and that helps but I need something more. His brother, Apache, is lead by my daughter and its is like walking a dog. I’m a senior and don’t need him pushing on me! Help!
THANK YOU members!
All your advice for the parades really helped!
1) no stud chain, relaxed lead.
2) cotton in his ears
3) shaking the lead rope in his face if he got in my space.
We had a wonderful parade! What a difference with my Phantom. He wasn’t perfect but there was a huge improvement.

Attachments

• 1CFD3884-BB95-4047-BB6D-D986CA6A706F.jpeg
    1CFD3884-BB95-4047-BB6D-D986CA6A706F.jpeg
    313.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 229D1969-10FC-4944-B89B-C8127B6FB147.jpeg
    229D1969-10FC-4944-B89B-C8127B6FB147.jpeg
    309.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 1F5E85B8-DBEC-4AA8-9EEF-64E54F643CCF.jpeg
    1F5E85B8-DBEC-4AA8-9EEF-64E54F643CCF.jpeg
    915.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 0D66CD99-45E1-44CD-A8E6-DA45186E3F88.jpeg
    0D66CD99-45E1-44CD-A8E6-DA45186E3F88.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
THANK YOU members!
All your advice for the parades really helped!
1) no stud chain, relaxed lead.
2) cotton in his ears
3) shaking the lead rope in his face if he got in my space.
We had a wonderful parade! What a difference with my Phantom. He wasn’t perfect but there was a huge improvement.
🦄🦄

Latest posts

Back