Help with Show Halter color and style

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raine Ranch Minis

Reaction score
Help me pick what color and style I should use for my Show horses, Please.

Black Gelding

me.jpg

Sliver ? Pinto Yearling Filly

IMG_0457.jpg

Red Roan App Mare

IMG_0411.jpg

These two I only show now and then, but I want to show them best I can when I do.

Chestnut pinto Gelding

( No Picture Sorry )

(Oddly marked) App Gelding

ggg14.jpg

( I am not looking for critiques or if they should be shown, just style and color of their halters. )

Thank You!

Last edited by a moderator:
The current fashion is a Victor style halter, in black with a burgundy noseband (cavesson) with either silver or gold trim and closed rings. Showtime has a knock off, called a Shepard halter, for about $130. The black and burgundy is seen on all colors of horses, regardless of whether or not you think is 'goes' with their color.

Both Victor and Showtime have websites.

I think with your colors of horses, you'd be safe with a blue or westerny turquoise theme!!!

I buy my show halters off ebay. They are cheap and I use them during training also -- since its not horribly heartbreaking when a $30 halter breaks compared to a $150!! But I haven't had one break yet!!!

I'm glad Ive bought the ones I have in all different sizes-- at a show the other weekend and was all hopped up about using my svarski (spelling..) crystal Tiffany halter and tried it on my gelding at the show (another no-no) and found it didn't fit; so I fit him with one of my ebay handmade ones.

I like these ones:

$40 Blue Cable Show Halter

Cheaper Blue Cable Show Halter

oh & btw, if that's your barn in that one picture!! It's GORGEOUS!! :D

For the black horse i would do burgandy/silver or red/silver

Silver pinto blue/silver

Red roan mare green/gold

App gelding can wear about anything

The current fashion is a Victor style halter, in black with a burgundy noseband (cavesson) with either silver or gold trim and closed rings. Showtime has a knock off, called a Shepard halter, for about $130. The black and burgundy is seen on all colors of horses, regardless of whether or not you think is 'goes' with their color.

Both Victor and Showtime have websites.
Can you give me the website for Victor. Thanks!

I think with your colors of horses, you'd be safe with a blue or westerny turquoise theme!!!

I buy my show halters off ebay. They are cheap and I use them during training also -- since its not horribly heartbreaking when a $30 halter breaks compared to a $150!! But I haven't had one break yet!!!

I'm glad Ive bought the ones I have in all different sizes-- at a show the other weekend and was all hopped up about using my svarski (spelling..) crystal Tiffany halter and tried it on my gelding at the show (another no-no) and found it didn't fit; so I fit him with one of my ebay handmade ones.

I like these ones:

$40 Blue Cable Show Halter

Cheaper Blue Cable Show Halter

oh & btw, if that's your barn in that one picture!! It's GORGEOUS!! :D
I have bought all of mine of of ebay, but I was looking a buying a REALLY nice halter. The ones on ebay look cheap compared to a Victor.

And yes that is my barn. Thank You.

Here is a link if you want to see more.
default_smile.png

http://s1207.photobu...rrent=BarnG.mp4

For the black horse i would do burgandy/silver or red/silver

Silver pinto blue/silver

Red roan mare green/gold

App gelding can wear about anything
Thank You, Kay!!! That is what I wanted to know!!

Show Time Tack

Because we show many different horses each year I make it a point to buy halters that will look good on any color of horse or any head type. Unfailingly, the caveson style halters look best on any horse.

I have a collection of Shepherd style halters from Show Time that are my favorites. I get the open ring halters so that I can change the crown piece as needed to fit various head sizes. Sometimes I buy just a nose band then several crown pieces to use with it. they are very versitile.

Since you mentioned showing a couple of the horses 'sometimes' you might consider getting interchangeable halter pieces.

Victor halters are around $125, plus a little extra for a chain (want to say I paid about $6 for each of my chains, I know it wasn't much) and don't know about leads--I did price them a couple years ago but never ordered one & don't remember. I like the rolled leather leads from Ozark, I think they're about $16 each?

As for color--I find that the black patent nose with silver trim from Victor is the color that suits the most horses (I loathe the burgundy ones that so many people think look good).

The black w/silver would surely suit the black and the silver pinto, also the red roan and quite possibly the appy.

I have 3 of the black/silver Victors & use those most often. However, my pony gelding, Tim, looks best in a black/gold Victor while my pinto mare Jewell looks best in the black/silver shepherd (closed rings) halter from Showtime. I also have some Showtime halters with the silver and gold/silver bar nosebands. This year I used the silver bar one on my bay colt, and the gold/silver bar one on my silver bay pinto colt--I have a variety of halters & so can pick which one suits a particular horse the best.

For a universal halter, though, the black/silver Victor suits the most horses--even those of mine that look "better" in one of the other halters don't look "bad" in the black/silver Victor.

I think my Victor cost so much because of the Bob Berg conchos it had on it. I bought it from the Bob Berg vendor at the World show several years ago.

If the Victors are the same as the Shepards....what is the current style of Victors being used - 9D or 9H?

And does anyone know the usual halter size and chain lengths for yearlings (AMHA), adults (AMHA), and large AMHR B size horses? Also a 41" Classic Shetland?

Sorry if this is hijacking the thread.

Show halters

I've always been happy with something like this... and Ozark Tack is always a great sponsor of Lil'Beginnings and I love shopping with them at Nationals... very well made quality stuff for good prices. I personally would never buy a "cheap" show halter on eBay or second-hand or by someone who "makes" them... I have been in the show ring long enough to see even GOOD quality halters break and horses go running wild around the show ring. I would NEVER chance safety with "cheap" tack... not worth it!

I think the Ozark ones are a good compromise... you don't have to spend $200+ but they look good, you can get fun colors (I love and had the metallic purple!) and held up for many years for me, through several stallions.

Burgundy or dark red go well with MOST horses, they are very versatile and what you will see the most of.

Andrea

If the Victors are the same as the Shepards....what is the current style of Victors being used - 9D or 9H?

And does anyone know the usual halter size and chain lengths for yearlings (AMHA), adults (AMHA), and large AMHR B size horses? Also a 41" Classic Shetland?

Sorry if this is hijacking the thread.
9D is the popular model.

I can't tell you the yearling size--I have the Adult size which would be the AMHA size adult, it's tiny, I use it on the yearling B's and ponies. I also have the extra large size that fits the B minis--that one also fits my 41-42" Shetlands. For my 44" Shetland geldings I ordered one custom sized. I'll pull the halters out & get measurements for you.

As for sizing...

This is my 32" senior gelding. He is wearing the baby sized victor, but it is on the last or second-to-last hole. I borrowed this one from our trainer, so I can't help you with measurements. My gelding does have a small face though. 232.JPG

Okay, here are the measurements I got. These do not include the rings, which are 1" in diameter. Nosebands are measured with the noseband curved, not flat (Victor will ask you that question if you tell him you want a noseband a certain length).

On my XL Adult size halters: Noseband 9.5". Over the poll it measures 23 1/2" to 27" (This is the size I use on my 41" & 42" ponies, and it does also fit the two 44" mares.

On my regular Adult (A) size halter the Noseband is 8 7/8". Over the poll it measures 21" to 24.5"

The larger halter that I had made for my 43-44" geldings has a 10 1/4" nose and over the poll it is 23 3/4" to 27 1/4"--so really very similar to the XL Adult Mini halter except the noseband is that little bit longer.

The chains I got from Victor are 20"

Note that all show halters do not fit the same.

I have a BKM halter that I bought for Tim, my 44" pony. It has a 10 1/2" nose so isn't very much different than the custom Victor I got for him--but the BKM patent noseband is so soft it doesn't hold its shape at all, it just wraps right around his nose--and he has a rather narrow face--and it looks too big on him. (Looks awful actually--doesn't suit him at all) Q, my 43" 2 year old gelding takes the same size halter but he has a different shape to his head (more Arab, Tim has more of a Saddlebred head) and the BKM halter looks/fits good on him)

Minimor - Thanks so much! I'm thinking if the Victor's cost the same as the Shepards, then I'll go with the Victors. I'll measure the horses before I give him a call.

I agree with kay kay on the colors- I would use black & silver on the appy gelding. Star Lakes also has a nice halter, dont know who makes it, but there are a huge variety of colored nose bands to put on these halters.

Can anyone advise which noseband style fits which head type and if the placement can be used to enhance the head?

We've always used the thicker noseband on the "thicker" nose (ie. quarterhorse type head). The narrow noseband for the more Arab type head. I've see folks put the wider style on the refined Araby face and it weighs now the whole look. Does that make sense?

Latest posts

Back