Help with new addition

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7fluffyfriends

Reaction score
A friend who started my path with miniature horses passed away recently, leaving behind several minis and a female donkey (jenny?).

We will be taking in the three minis to our herd of seven (and the donkey), so technically my sign-in is no longer accurate - it should now read 11 not 7.....though maybe only seven will actually still be friendly after

the new arrivals tomorrow.
default_rolleyes.gif

Ginny housed the minis and the donkey, Madelaine, together and my understanding is that Madelaine was cared for just like the minis. I realize this forum does not specifically deal with donkeys, but would appreciate any words of wisdom or a pointer in the right direction as to where this question could go?

By the way, someone 'out there' may remember Ginny Konze from MN. She was a long time horse lover and had a small miniature breeding program for a number of years. Her stable was Riverside Stables.

Thank you for any help.

I have one mini jenny, she is buddy's with one of my mini mares, and runs with the mare and one stallion. [My other mares and stallion are in a separate paddock area (this is what works for me). Anyway, similar care for donkeys with few exceptions, they are typically very easy keepers, and usually need less protein than horses, so good grass hay and a vit/min supplement usually works just fine for them. Mine does get limited turn-out in summer for a couple months when their grazing area has grass. My go to for donkey information is Meredith Hodges, her website site is Lucky Three Ranch.

Thank you Chandab! I will check that out. The donkey is a mini donkey and halter broke but that is really all I know!

Never thought we would have a donkey but she will be a new adventure for all of us.

I'm sorry you lost your friend
default_sad.png

I know she'll be glad that you're taking in her fur-kids. I've not had any mini donkeys, but I know many people do and they keep them in with their minis just fine. I hope your 7 will welcome her into their group.
default_smile.png

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend....She's probably relieved to see that her little ones are being cared for.

We have one mini jenny as well.... She lives with our group of fillies just fine, and yes - she is a very easy keeper.

We have her on the same care schedule as her pasture mates....feet, worming, etc....

Warning though....she WILL speak her mind! LOL.

Yep, mini donks do speak their mind. Tilly sounds off daily, first thing in the morning if I'm not out to feed quick enough, afternoon if I'm not quick enough to feed, and then whenever she feels like it the rest of the day. Luckily, she doesn't seem to sounds off too much at night.

Thank you all for your kind words. REO and Miniv I really appreciate it. Madelaine is a bit of a stitch and Chandab your post made me smile - the braying is ear catching for sure!. She is a bit shy and they were all a bit unsettled with the changes in their lives but they are doing well and so far my original 7 fluffyfriends seem to still be 'speaking' to me!

I put them into the middle portion of the barn which also has its own paddock so they can walk in or out as the mood takes them yet visit with my original group through the fences. Yesterday I let the older mare and gelding in with my bunch as they seemed ready and it went well. They let me know though when they were ready to go back to their own area. So, we are taking it bit by bit.

Went out to brush the newcomers as it had been awhile and guess what! Madelaine, the standoffish, came inching forward until she had her nose right by the brush.. I had to laugh. It was great to see her come up for a scratch and that was a great ice breaker. She even let our 4 year old granddaughter brush her..once she saw the brush!

Now Madelaine seems to feel that we may have some potential to provide for her in the style to which she had been accustomed!
default_yes.gif
I was staggered, however, to read that donkeys may live to be 40 years or a bit more...is this true! If so, this little donkey will be a heritage pet!

Latest posts

Back