Help with feeding 4 month old weanling

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LB27

Reaction score
Currently she has plenty of pasture and I have been feeding her some Purina Omolene 300 twice a day. I pen her off of pasture at night and give her grassy hay. I just recently got her and the previous owner was not feeding her any grain so I am slowing increasing the amount I feed her. How much grain a day should I work up to? I don't want to over feed her nor underfeed her. I've also seen that a lot of people feed beet pulp but I don't know much about that. Please let me know if there is anything else I should be adding to her diet and if there is a good brand of it so I can search my area for it. Thanks so much!

Follow the reccomendations on the bag, I don't know if equine jr is similar to omelene 300, but just make sure it is geared for younger horses. Some like to feed alfafa or alfalfa mixed hay to young horses too.

Its really best to feed according to the weight and size of the horse and then feed in pounds not cups or cans. Horses should get the majority from forage and like 1 percent from grain. To avoid big bloated weanling bellies I like equine jr.

Be careful with beet pulp as many feeds like equine jr already have it in the pellets

Add Calf Manna, I know some might not like it, but it really helps weanling get a better start and helps keep the bloated belly look off. We feed between 1/4 and 1/2 a cup a day.

We fed our babies Equine Jr and Enrich 32, plus alfalfa hay. No bellies on them last year, and the colt who had one lost it pretty quickly!

Latest posts

Back