help with dogs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[SIZE=12pt][/size][/SIZE]

I think we have a good fence up right now, we are in the process of putting electric fence up also, I think that will be up by next weekend. I think we are going to put it on both sides of the fence but the problem with putting it down low is that the horses like to scratch against it. We will put it down low on the outside though. I'm not sure about getting donkeys now because the guy next door had several before he got the llamas and he still had his goats killed. We do put our horses up at night which seems to be the time that the pack of dogs usually kills the neighbor's goats. Anyway, thank you all for your help.
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The good thing about stray dogs is no owners asking questions, especially if no collars. I would get a gun since I'm sure with the economy people abandoning their dogs its going to be a problem cause they will get hungry and desperate.

We had a problem with dogs and they were our neighbors, it still took a threatning of a gun to do something about it since law enforcement wouldn't do anything even with clear eveidence they were getting in.

Gun or poison, its harsh but you got to protect your horses.

you guys are like new moms and their infant babies.. with the shovel, shoot and silence thing...I love it !!
default_laugh.png
Also love my donkey for protection...however yes thats correct , if a mare has a baby in threre the Donkey will kill it for sure. Anything new, and small will be attacked by the Donkey , unless its your own cat or dog and he is use to it ... Oh and let me tell you , my Willy walks around like he is a senior ( very slow) but I have seen him chase after someone elses cat like a TB on the track. I love dogs , even the strays... but I have to agree with the others. Or call the shelter and have the dogs picked up and then at the pound they will euthanize them so you dont have to.

I had issues with strays from pitt bulls, shepards, and pointers, they always came around 2-3 am, lucky I kept my horses in a very tight area close to my house, and the dogs always tried to get in where the gate was at. My back door opened to where I could see my gate, and I would shoot them from the back door. Bury them when I wake up. Or just dragged them into the woods and let the birds have at them. We have a law here to where you can protect your livestock by gun. So needless to say, I have 3 guns. And I use them well. Havent seen anymore dogs in a long time. Maybe I killed them all. Dont know, but I can sleep better.

I don't post here very often, I also grew up in the country and have NO problem shooting dogs that come after livestock or run in packs. I have seen 1,000 lb calf pulled down with his throat ripped out and left by the neighbor dogs. PLEASE PLEASE do not leave out poison for dogs! It is a horrible way to die and you cannot guarantee the dogs you want to kill will be the ones who get it! You could very well kill your own dogs or other innocent animals. Just my opinion.

Traci

Last edited by a moderator:
Just popping in to DITTO TRACI.......Poison is NOT the way to go when you have other animals around. Innocents may get to it.....and NOT the intended target.

I also have no problem with the SSS method (shoot, shovel, and shutup).......sometimes it's the most effective way. Just be sure you know how to shoot!
default_laugh.png

[SIZE=12pt]Hi everyone, I joined not too long ago, just haven't posted until now. I have two minis, and am about to get one or two more. My problem is that there has been a problem around the neighborhood with stray dogs. Our next door neighbor had about 10 goats that where about the size of our minis that where killed by strays recently. Yesterday we found a dog that had somehow gotten inside our fence and was growling at our filly. We do have a dog that is used to the horses who is there to kind of protect them, but he was in another fence at the time. I was wondering if anyone has had a problem with strays and what you have done about it. I really need to do something before something horrible happens. Thanks everyone.[/SIZE]oh btw, the neighbor next door had 2 lamas but that didn't seem to help him, we also do have a barn to put them in they where just grazing at the time.
I live in GA where we have no animal control, but lots of strays & packs, & also hog hunters whose dogs dont know where my property starts & where the other farmer who allows hunting ends.

I was forced to let my boxer & aussie run loose at night ( I used to pen them in the barn at night), but after loosing 3 calves this yr weighing from 150-450 lbs. to dogs, I was worried enought for my minis to let my dogs alert me when something is happening outside while I sleep. They stay close & bark until I come outside. I keep my minis in a small corral & run in shed at night & when am away, & i have recently run livestock wire all the way to the ground & on gates. The only other safe way is to stall them which I refuse to do as horses are roamers & free grazers & we humans instill enough torture to them for our peace of mind & entertainment! I would say keep them close to your house & get a good guard dog!

Do be sure that you know the laws in your area before you shoot. When my neighbors labs and dalmation attacked my horses, I called the County Sheriff. He told me to shoot them if they came back onto my property, whether they were chasing the horses again or not. I talked to the neighbor who owned the dogs and was told basically the same thing by him - "I've tried to keep them in and can't, and I'm not going to try again, so if they come back, just shoot them."

Nice dog owner, huh?

I'd perform the the S's too. Sounds harsh, but even if you take them to the shelter and whatnot and the owners get htem back, they'll still want to come back to whatever was easy pickings. Plus the shelters seem to be overrun enough with other dogs, why not save the funds and take care of it yourself? Or anyways that's my diea. I love dogs, have 'em raise 'em and will probably always have dogs. Hubs has cowdogs. BUT they are kept up, even living on the ranch, it's knowledge, taht if you want 'em alive keep 'em up. you allow them to wander for whatever reason, and don't go crying when they get shot. It is legal to shoot anything that is trying to harm yoru livestock here. Whether that be, dog, lion, coyote, doesn't matter. And all will be protected, it's our responsibility as their owners to do right by them. Hot wires work. I have a rescue mini gelding donkey with my bunch, and he protects 'em. He's with 'em 24/7, and has bonded to my stud, and been around the foals, even in the same pen if I'd had an early oopsie one. Never paid no mind to any of them as far as backing and ear or trying to hurt 'em. Now a dog or cat walk across that pen, and the chase is on!

Latest posts

Back