help with dog

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dairygirl

Reaction score
I have a female doxie that is 63 days bred. I marked down the day she was first bred on. she has full milk, or did i should say, no big belly but when you feel her belly you can feel a puppy or puppies moving. I have 5 week old puppies off of this dogs mom and she is letting those puppies nurse as of yesterday. She has taken over that litter of puppies. I separate her from them and she fights and finds a way back to them, so I put her in the house and she is trying to get back to the 5 week old puppies.

As far as what she is packing in her belly, she has no signs of labor of any kind. i put down her first breeding date but they bred all week long. If nothing happens by Friday I'm going to take her in. Surely what I'm feeling moving isn't gas. LOL.

Crazy dogs!

she could have a false pregnancy and the puppies brought the milk in? possible.

other wise take her temp if it drops to 98 12 - 24 hours whelping will start.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're allowing those pups to drink that dam's first milk. Colostrum is vital to the newborn pups on the way. You have to put a stop it and take the dog to a vet if you are concerned about her whelping.

I did not allow them to do it, they did it all on their own and I caught them so I did separate her from the puppies. I should have stated she let them instead of letting them so it came across wrong. I have a job and a farm, I can't be here 24/7 to watch over things. Once I knew what was going on I put a stop to it.

I got 2 hours at best sleep last night. My dog was up and down all night and finally this morning I had to pull a huge puppy but mom and puppy are doing well. As soon as the vets office opens I'm going in to talk to him about something for the puppy in case the others did get all the colustrum but the baby is sucking milk and doing pretty good. I believe that is all she is going to have.

geesh i would think if you were feeling the "puppies" she probably has more than one puppy in there. I could be wrong though. You should be able to palpate her belly a bit and feel if there are more "lumps" in there. I can always do that with mine and usually feel if there are more. course your dog is a little dog so i'm not sure the difference.

I had a larger mini aussie bitch who only whelped 4 and I couldn't feel the pups at all in there before she whelped..LOL

All I could ever feel was the one moving and she didn't have a belly at all. That is why I thought it was false, but she has the one pup, no more contractions as for 3 hours now and I feel nothing moving.

My vet couldn't see her, he was very busy and my other vet was too. Emergency's every where. Must be in the air this morning.

I told him everything and he told me not to worry, wasn't much you can do if the other puppies got all her colustrum and he didn't have any to give. So I ran home and got the colustrum that I bought from TSC and it is also for puppies and cats, so she is on that for every 3 hours for 24 just to be on the safe side.

He told me that he wasn't worried that I was a good momma and he knew I would do the best I could and if I got in over my head he was there for me day or night. That meant a lot coming from my 2nd vet. I have 2. One for dogs and one for horses and they have both told me this in the last month.

I've got the fat head now. LOL.
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif

My puppy by the way is a issy smooth doxie female. MY very first issy baby and I'm so happy it's a girl. Solid issy with no tan to boot.

Congratulations
default_aktion033.gif
One puppy and a female... Dachshunds are bad for only 1 puppy.

If mom is licking the puppy and eating, Mom should be fine and no more puppies inside.

If puppy is gaining weight, she should also be fine. Colostrum is there for the first 24 hours.

Good Luck would love to see a picture :web

It is a good ideal to give mom one rolaid with calcium a day.

I usually give my bitches, ice cream, and a slice of cheese after birthing., if you believe there is another puppy you can give a shot of oxytocin to make sure she is cleaned out...

Thank you Reble for all the advice you have given me. I'm new at the puppy raising thing and can use all I can get.

I have checked on her several times and plan to go back home at 12:00 to check, feed puppy the colustrums, and feed my bucket baby ( foal). Lucky I have the puppies feeding the same time as the baby foals feeding so that helps a lot. LOL.

Can you tell me what the Rolaids will do other then give her extra calcium?

I believe the one puppy is all she has. I can't fill any thing moving and the baby was a big girl. Funny thing is all night long she was up and down and up and down, wanting lovings then gets down so the one 20mins. I slept I heard a cry and ran into the living room and all I could see was the back legs and butt. so I got down and slowly helped the baby out. My dog( Puddin) looks at the baby and takes off running. I chased her down and held the baby so she could see what she was and once the baby made a noise she was instantly in love with her. LOL. Lesson of the day " new momma's hold on to them when they first see their first ever baby". LOL. she didn't know what it was other then it hurt coming out. LOL. :DOH!

LOL poor girl..lol at least she's being a good momma though. It's so hard to have to bottle raise puppies too. been there done that as well! it's easier to "supplement" mom than to actually feed around the clock. My bitch has 13 puppies every time and we have to "supplement" the first few days to make sure everyone is getting some ect. I had a couple in my first litter that had to be bottle raised because they were just not physically doing it with mom and that was difficult. at least like you said your on the same schedual with the foal and the puppy though! lol

Yes, it is just an easy way of giving calcium, which if she is run down, will prevent ecplampsia.

This site explains this more for you.

http://www.chesapeakes.net/health/eclampsia.html

Being only one puppy should be OK. Usually with small breeds and a big litter this can happen.

If she does not care to lick the puppy you can put cheese wiz or peanut butter on the puppy's butt to show her to help the puppy poop, if she is a first time mom. Good Luck...

thanks for all the tips, she is very much in love with her puppy. I have to hold her water for her to drink and her food because she will not leave her baby. LOL.

I'll post a pic. tonight, I forgot to get my password for photobucket from home.

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back