HELP WITH DOG

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horsefeather

Reaction score
My daughter has a 3 yr. old chi. and she gave birth about a week ago. Not her first litter. She has been fine until about 8pm tonight. She began by loosing control of her front legs then worked back to her back legs. She is panting very, very heavy, biting her tonge on the sides. She is extremely hot. Live in the boondocks, no vets available. Gave her a small bit of banamine and a aspiren. Hasn't seemed to help. Can't stand up. Any one seen anything like this? It almost looks like perhaps a siezor.

Sorry about the misspelled words, in a hurry. Anything anyone??

Pam

UPDATE: Daughter finally decided to go to the vet.....unfortunately he was out all day on several emergency calls. He did finally call her back. She told him that she now has her on calcium, is taking and watching her temp. and only lets pups nurse on schedule. Chi Chi is better, couldn't keep anything down yesterday, but today she can and is eating and drinking. Vet said she was doing exactly what he would recommend. Hopefully everything will turn out ok. Once again, thank you all for answering. I have calmed down as I seemed a bit hysterical when I first posted....sorry.

Pam

Last edited by a moderator:
Could it be a calcium problem? Lactation in cows can lead to what we called milk fever but I'm not sure of the symptoms anymore. Try a google search for whelping problems maybe, or could you even call a vet somewhere and explain that you can't reach them but the dog is in trouble? Good luck.

Calcium is what jumped to my mind too, but based on something I'd once worried about regarding a horse... but maybe that's the right track to try and correct.

Wishing the best of luck.

I would get her into the vets office. Does she have a fever, if so you may try to cool her down with cool towels till you can get her in.

I think calcium, too. It's important to get calcium into the bitch every day when she's nursing; I give my Berner's two Tums/day while nursing. Hope all is well....

Low blood calcium. Common in toy breeds after welping . She needs treatment immediately or you will lose her. Low calcium can give the appearance of tetanis with stiffining of the limbs. After a certain point they cannot swallow well and your treatment options are limited to giving IV calcium. Hurry! I would call the vet. Treatable condition but you must hurry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you everyone for your comments. She is doing much better this am. However, I am a little upset at my daughter because I think, as everyone else, she should have been at the vets at opening this am. But, they are broke right now and she says she can't afford to go. I have a vet about an hour and a half away that would let her pay payments. Still not going. I am really fighting with myself to take the dog in, but I have helped her out so much we are also broke. Now, I could make payments, but I am tired of always taking care of her problems. She is 48, married and time to step up to the plate. I really feel sorry for the dog, but it takes hard lessons for her to learn. She is giving her tums, al least. We have her to believe if you can't afford to take care of your animals, don't have them!!!! Please don't tell me what a bad person I am for not taking the dog in, I already know that!!!! I'll let youall know how things go.

Pam

Awww, Pam we don't think you are a bad person at all. This must be so very difficult for you to let remain your daughter's responsibility when she seems determined not to do what you feel needs doing, but you did do something! You came on here looking for what help you could find that might make a difference for that poor little thing. It is a shame your daughter saw fit to breed (or allowed her to get bred) her dog if she is too broke to take care of her when there are problems. Hopefully the calcium in the tums will be enough to give the dog what she needs. Please keep us updated on the outcome.

I think milk fever (which is an awful name because it doesn't cause a fever, if anything their temps drop) is a good guess. If it is, she must be weaned from the puppies or it will happen again and it can become deadly.

Good Luck!

Dr. Taylor

Pam, you're not an awful person. You are trying to hold her accountable and to do so you are not enabling her. She really had no business breeding the dog if she can't pay for the vet care the dog needs.

I would sooner scrape the money together to help her get the dog fixed than I would to help her with a litter of pups.

Best wishes to you. We deal with low calcium or milk fever here on the farm with our dairy cows. Levels can drop quickly after the cow is milked. IV calcium is given and the cow feels better quickly. For cows it is not an expensive treatment. When the puppies nurse it is like milking the cow and that causes the levels to drop in mommy dog. It can be deadly if not treated seriously and monitored closely. With our cows we can go from fine to critical in such a short period of time that we keep treatment supplies on hand because often we do not have enough time to get the vet out. Must be hard for you to watch this happen and feel powerless. If mommy dog survives would be nice to consider a spay in her future. There are rescue groups that can help those with limited funds neuter their dogs. Not being critical just trying to help.

Thank all of you for your kind and helping words. Chi Chi (dogs name) is somewhat better. My daughter is FINALLY going to take her to the vet in the morning. Hope it's not too late!!! Will let youall know the outcome.

Thanks,

Pam

Latest posts

Back