Help with AMHR rule please.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walter

Reaction score
Could someone please tell me if a two year old mare can have her foal registered with AMHR.? I know there used to be a rule that the mare had to be 3 before the foal was born or 3 that year. But do not know if that is still the way. I bought a yearling mare last year and later found out she was in foal. The filly was born in May just fine but was wondering if she can be registered with AMHR?

Thanks, Clara

. Foals born to two year old mares can not be reg. with AMHR

My understanding is that mare has to be in her 3rd year (after Jan 1st) to be able to register the foal with AMHR.

I also believe that AMHA will allow the foal to be registered though. Is the mare double registered??

OK, found it:

p. 235

Part 3--Registration

A. 4. AMHR horses for which an application for registration has been submitted to thr AMHR National Office, will be registered ONLY if the sire and dam have been updated from temporary to permanent status.

B. No miniature foal may be registered out of a mare unless the dam has reached her third birthday (birthday as of Jan. 1)

So, A.4. is a new addition--which I'm reading as the stallion has to be three as well and permanent to register his foals, even though it's not spelled out specifically like B. (the rule for the mares) is. Hmmmmm....

We just talked about that rule not to long ago. The way most of us are reading it is that a 2 yr old stallion can have offspring reg as long as the foals are reg before he is due to be brought to perm?

I guess I will call the office and find out tomorrow

That may also be read if the sire or dam is at the age when they should be made permanent--- that if they are not brought permanent, the resulting foal cannot be registered.

Back