Help--What is Showmanship?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shalakominiatureshowhorses

Reaction score
Hi!

I have wanted to show Bentley in more classes at shows ( all we show together in is Country Pleasure Driving and Liberty ) and I really want to venture out of both of our comfort zones and try Showmanship! I watched it (I guess last weekend?) at Nationals and it looks like something Bentley and I could actually have a chance in competing in, but then again, I don't really know anything at all about Showmanship!!!

Any tips or advise on this class would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Bailey and Bentley

There are some great videos on showmanship if you want to look into them. Basically, showmanship is about YOUR ability to best present your horse. It's one of my favorite classes, but I know a lot of people do not care for it at all. If your horse can do a 360 on the hind, that is a feather in your cap. The class is about your ability to present the horse, so much more than the physical conformation of the horse you are presenting. If you can get a video, or watch clips of those who do it well (mini or big horse), and practice doing what you see those people do, that would be the best teaching tool save for having a good "showmanship" person to give you lessons. Good luck!

Jill has given you some good advice, I'll add to it: If showing at an open show the show office should provide you with a pattern. Also if showing in an A show make sure to get the rule books, so you can study the patterns and what the judge wants from you. Get your Mom or a friend to help you practice at home, they can be the judge for you, practice makes perfect. Of course teach your horse to pivot off of a hind leg, and focus, you should show you are serious, but at the same time smiling like you are having a good time. Pick a focal point when asked to move in a straight line, such as fence post so you stay straight. Don't over show, it looks bad. Your horse must be groomed to the breed specs.

Read what we teach our 4-Hers on our website - link below. Attention to detail is very important, as is communication with your horse. Rules are slightly different for AMHR than they are for any other shows in terms of exactly WHEN the handler moves in relation to the judge's movement around the horse during inspection. So know the rules.

Thanks y'all! One question. What about attire? Is there any specific requirements on outfit, like a hat or anything I wouldn't usually wear in any other class? I'm getting a very nice black and white jacket with rinestones and crystals on it (but it's not too blingy ;) ) with black show pants and I'm also getting a nice black felted hat for Western Pleasure! Would this outfit work? I remember someone telling me that there were specific attire requirements, but I might have understood wrong. Thanks again!!

In my book- The more bling the better
default_smile.png

What you have sounds like a good showmanship outfit to me... Don't forget gloves! and a hat is required. I agree with Jill...If your horse can pivot then a+ to you lol

I think the best advice I can give you is to look up showmanship clips online- Watch the AQHA and Paint classes...This is how I learned since reading articles doesn't really 'show' you what you have to do. Go in the ring confident and have poise, elbows by your sides (you are not a bird), stand up straight, head up and keep your eyes on the judge. Practice, practice, practice- at home before you go to a show. Once you and the horse get the hang of it you should be able to walk right up to the judge and set up in 3 seconds. Know your quarters (or halves in AMHR) and switching sides should be quick but graceful. Keep your horse between you and the judge. If they need to break a tie or just want to test you they will walk up and down the line up so you will need to switch sides so your horse is always between you and the judge. Also, YOU should be facing your HORSE at all times, not the judge. Your toes should be pointed at your horses front hoof...not pointing at the judge- This is the number one thing I see competitors do which bugs me to no end lol You are presenting yourself and your horse is only a prop. Showmanship is a TON of fun! Remember to smile!!
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back