HELP!! What are these huge lumps on my 16 yr old QH?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimie28

Reaction score
Ruddie, my 16 yr old QH that we bought a few months ago is having some summer itch issues so we bathed him in a betadine shampoo and I noticed a couple of maybe golf size lumps on his belly but thought to myself how interesting that horses must get fat pads like dogs do when they some get older. This morning when putting the MTG on his itch spots, I noticed the lumps were more like soft ball sizes, hmmmm. Took his temp which was normal, gums normal, etc all normal. Went to work and totally forgot about it. Got home and they are even bigger! The one more in the middle of his abdomen looks like half a football size. All are more to the right side. No puncture wounds that I could see, temp normal, gums fine, no swollen lymph nodes in the neck, etc. Here are pictures I took tonight. Any ideas of what it could be? I'm going to call the Vet out tomorrow but am worried!

Rudy%20ab%20swellings%208-6-08%20005.jpg

Rudy%20ab%20swellings%208-6-08%20003.jpg

Rudy%20ab%20swellings%208-6-08%20002.jpg

Rudy%20ab%20swellings%208-6-08%20001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
the pictures are so small its really hard to see. I would definitely get a vet out asap. sending good thoughts

Could it be a hernia? That'd be my first guess if it keeps getting bigger so quickly. I could be wrong, but I'd likely have a vet check it out.

I would wonder - sand balls? I don't know where he came from, but I would definitely have the vet take a look asap. That is very unusual. sand balls ring a bell, which means he might be a sand colic suspect.

I know of an Arab mare that had a fungus on its chest. The vet prescribed an Iodine based salve to put on her. The next day, the area under the salve puffed up about a 1/4 to 1/2 an inch high. Then as time passed, the swelling went out from under the salve, and collected in 'water' pockets on her underline. I guess that gravity moved the extra fluids from the chest to the underneath. Could something like that be happening with your guy?

I know of an Arab mare that had a fungus on its chest. The vet prescribed an Iodine based salve to put on her. The next day, the area under the salve puffed up about a 1/4 to 1/2 an inch high. Then as time passed, the swelling went out from under the salve, and collected in 'water' pockets on her underline. I guess that gravity moved the extra fluids from the chest to the underneath. Could something like that be happening with your guy?
I wondered that myself since I am allergic to betadine. But then I remember seeing the little golf size lump when bathing him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just came in from doing the morning horse rounds and the lumps are MUCH better! They are half the size they were last night so he must have had a reaction to something. I am so relieved! Thanks all!

Are they soft and kinda squishy to the touch? And not at all hot or seem to bother the horse? I had a large warmblood that used to get those every once in a while. Vet said it was a reaction to some kinda bite most likely. On my horse they would appear suddenly and leave just as soon. He was older too and I noticed one of my older minis got one this year too...but it is gone already. Let us know what you find out!

We have had that several times and it is a reaction to a bug bite!! The first time it happened we had the vet out and that is what we were told!! We have a 2 yr old that had a couple last week!!

My QH used to get something that looked similar, lasted just about as long. Watch them for a small scab to form in the middle. My vet wasn't sure, but thought it was something she ate or a bug she was allergic to....she would get this from time to time...different parts of her body. Always a small scab in the middle after the swelling went down...Not much help, but... Best wishes for your QH... ~ Becky

He is MUCH better tonight. Almost not even noticeable and I am soooo relieved!

I am so glad to hear others have seen this which kept me from freaking out! Thanks for the replies!! and thank God for Lil Beginnings Forum!!!

A friend of mine has a little pot belly pig that got stung/bit by something several times, had these kind of lumps come up all over her body, spiked a fever at 108, no lie, I saw it with 2 different thermometers myself, and then after a week of benadryl and banamine to try to control the fever, all the skin where the lumps were sloughed off!!! Poor little piggy looked like she was in a horror film, it was awful! But now new skin and hair growing in and she looking better. I feel for her as if she had this sort of reaction to a bug sting/bite, she could go through this again? It's been over a month of treating her as it's been antibitoics oral and local! My poor friend too for having to go through it with her! Has anybody seen this on a pig before?

Latest posts

Back