Help tonight? Swelling on belly...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Performancemini

Reaction score
I am going to call the vet bright and early in the morning...but...thought I'd check to see what some of you think too. Our 10 year old gelding has a large swelling on his belly. Runs from girth to near his sheath (sheath and area are fine/normal). It covers the whole area. It's hard. It doesn't seem to be tender. He is acting and eating, etc. normally. I think it's been there all week. I kept thinking he had gotten rather fatter til we discovered it tonight. Also had his vaccinations early last week. (2 in rump, 1 in neck). Not happy with all our hay either. Never had it from this source before. He doesn't spray anything on his crop. It's from 3 different fields. Some is like teff grass. Most is some kind of grass mix with lots of clover that he let get real dry (so it looks brown or even-shudder-black). (Haven't really found any mold). Some is a mix of all of that with a bit of alfalfa occasionally (probably 10-15%). (won't be buying from him again!). SO---kick, reaction to something in hay, vaccine reaction????????????

Any suggestions for the moment?
default_ohnoes.jpg

Sounds like it could possibly be a reaction from the vaccine, although seems weird that it isn't closer to the site of the vaccine...

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you post pictures. Does it feel hot to the toutch? Is it uniform in shape? There is a main artery that runs along the side of the belly.vaccines could have caused reaction. I don't think it was hay. Vet can give you more info.

A hernia would be concentrated in one spot. Unless it was a gigantic one, and I doubt he's be acting norm if it were.

Is it generally 'fluid like pooling under there' or edema looking?

Sounds like edema from a reaction to something--could be the vaccine, or even a weed in the hay. I had a horse that got the same thing last summer from a reaction to something I sprayed on his belly after he got a bunch of bug bites. It took a week or more to go away--I was starting to worry that he had something worse, like heart trouble. Congestive heart failure will also cause ventral midline edema.

Spoke to the vet on the phone this morning. Went over everything. For now he says edema. Said it's kind of odd, but that it could be from one of the vaccines, though it's not near the site of one of them. Like IKBlazin said, it's like the mainline artery area-edema; so could be from a vaccine. He has me working him out several times a day (starting this afternoon) for a couple days to see if it goes down. Got to contact him in a couple days and let him know what's happening (or not happening). He's a good little horse; longes beautifully (natural horsemanship training-no whip). He's got the routine down already and just clocks along like a carousel horse now.
default_xreiter.gif
I just walk my little circle with him and he does the job. We are jogging, trotting and walking 20-30 minutes 2-3 x's a day then. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but my husband and I both thought the swelling had lessened a touch up in the front area tonight. Sure hope it goes. We have a big horse expo next week and he's slated to go!
default_ohnoes.jpg
default_pray.gif
Have to add a pic of our sweet boy too---0807141107n.jpg

Guess I'll call the vet back tomorrow morning. It's maybe gone down a teensy bit a front and rear-it's kind of hard to tell. Shaved the winter hair off in a few areas so we can see it better. Only got to work him once yesterday and so far today-twice the first day-about 30 minutes each time.

Minimor: you said that it took over a week or so to go down on yours??? Gosh-don't know what to do for our horse event next week (Thurs.-Sun.). He will look kind of 'gross' if he looks like he does. Vet's call there too I guess-unless we don't want to take him???????

Yes, this last gelding took over a week--it was going down gradually, but so very slowly. I didn't really do anything for him--he was just out in his paddock. Cold hosing might have taken it down quicker, but I did not do it--he would not have appreciated it. It wasn't hideous, and he had no events coming up, and since it wasn't bothering him I just let it run it's course.

Good to know there was a diagnosis. He is very handsome
default_smile.png
. I hope the swelling continues to go down and your able to win in the ring
default_smile.png

Swelling is subsiding. Little bit at a time. Clipped his belly/sides enough to moniter it better (left the hair right underneath to help with warmth.). Have been longing him (except today because of weather-which became a nightmare for many tonight-tornadoes). I put him in the largest horse size stall so he can move around more. Feeling more optimistic. He may still have some by next weekend-but he is looking some closer to normal than at first.

I hope he feels better soon. I hope you all stayed safe during the tornadoes too. Perhaps your vet could prescribe an anti inflammatory or maybe some dexamenthasone would take the swelling down faster.

We had a close call in that storm and tornadoes. We are just 4-5 miles north of Rt. 72/Monroe Center where the F4 was traveling. Another one passed over the large field next to our neighbors but hadn't touched down. We got quarter size hail and downpours. Our pastures were under water for a number of hours until it all flowed through and out. Yesterday's sun and wind dried them off fairly well. Horrible for the folks in Rochelle and Fairdale and Kirkland. About two miles down the road from us you start seeing debris in the fields that was dropped by the winds the tornado spawned. Large chunks of metal-obviously pieces of buildings, silos and such. Made the reality of it more so seeing those pieces today. The Farmers are out collecting them. Sure won't be able to plow and plant til it's cleaned up.

As far as our fella-the swelling is still going down. Looking pretty good! He's still happy and eating and enjoying life. So it's looking real good! Thanks for all the information and such!

That tornado was terrible. I was in between the one head to Wisconsin and the one head to Indiana/Chicago area. I'm just north of Chicago. We got that large qaurter size hail too. No debris. Very sorry for all of the people that it affected.

IKblazin: Didn't realize you were that close a "neighbor" to us! Do you show your mini/s or just enjoy other ways? If you show-have you been to the H.A.M.E. show in July in Belvidere, IL?

As for our mini-hurray! The swelling is almost completely gone! You can feel more than you can see now! We did a tad of jumping today with him. I think we may be missing an area he might be good at! He seemed to enjoy it. Not too forward, not hesitant either.
default_xreiter.gif
(we didn't canter- just trot them).

Hope we all have pleasant summers!
default_yes.gif

I have one girl that I plan on showing. She and three others ar3 pregnant at the moment. So won't be this year. I have done parades and such. Along with therapy visits. They jump. The highest was my actual pasture fence, its about 4 and a half feet tall. Turns out they learned to quickly lol. I have not shown before nor have I ever been to one.

What are the details on the H.A.M.E. show? Iv never been. I thought most shows were really far away. Now I need to make plans!!!
default_smile.png

IKBlazin: Can you get on my profile page here on LB? I will get you my email address through there-at least I think I can. Then I can send you more info and stuff on the show. Basically, it's July 18-19 at the Boone Co. Fairgrounds in Belvidere, IL. Entries close July 1st. There's lots of classes and we cater to the youth too with $5.00 youth classes. Lots of jumper, hunter, costume, obstacle and of course, halter and driving.

The Boone Co. Fair also has lots of classes for minis now (after a 20 year struggle to get them-LOL!). Open to reg. and grade minis and real nice premium money. I can get you info on that too if you like or you can look up their website. My husband always says, 'the more the merrier'! LOL!

Our fella's looking good. Can't see a thing this morning. We are going to still longe him some each day anyway. Good for the stamina! Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Latest posts

Back