HELP !! Time in pasture

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvminis

Reaction score
How long can 3 year old minis be out eating pasture grass? They are in the pasture for two hours in the morning and two in the evening.Can I have them out longer?

It depends on what they are used to.....and what type of grass you have.

If they have only been out for a few hours a day......you would want to start there & gradually increase their time, if that's what you want.

If they had been used to lush grass before, and your grass is sparse & not as lush...they could stay out longer.

If they had sparse grass in limited quantities before, and you have an abundance of lush grass....start them out very slow.

You don't want to make any drastic changes in their diets all at once.

"GRADUAL" is the key here.
wink.gif

It depends on the horse. We have some that will be REAL fat with only an hour a day on grass. Others could be out 24/7 and not be fat.

Slowly build up to where you think they are at their limit.

Horses can be out 24/7 all mine are. At this time of year the grass is starting to drop back and a lot of the goodness is gone, whatever it looks like. So, it is just your preference. I like Natural, with as little faffing around as possible, if you like playing , bringing them in and shoving them back out- it will probably not do them any harm, except maybe puzzle them a bit
smile.gif
Remember though, an hour on really truly rich grass and then brought into stand in a dry lot or stall, will actually do far more harm than 24/7 on poor grass they have to work at- it's the shock to the system that will start Founder, not just the grazing. Also, of course, a horse grazing is a relaxed, contented hors. So- what are your pasture amounts and conditions???

Last edited by a moderator:
My little lawn mowers get out for a good part of the day. About 7 am to 5 pm or so. I move thier pen every few days to keep the grass down. With these gas prices why use it in the lawn mower when I have 5 minis that are more than happy to help out.

Latest posts

Back