Help solve a friendly family argument

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My-Lil-Pony

Reaction score
We have been having this heated discussion for a week now. Is it proper etiquette to send out thank you cards to all of those who have sent you Christmas gifts including extended family?

Probably so; although thank you cards seem to be a thing of the past. A phone call or an email is soooo much easier....and a phone call (IMO) is much more personal.

Yes, I think it is proper etiquette to send thank you cards or notes for gifts that were received unless you opened them in the presence of the giver and thanked him or her personally.

Yes, I think it is proper etiquette to send thank you cards or notes for gifts that were received unless you opened them in the presence of the giver and thanked him or her personally.

I agree with Jill. Also with AppyLover2. A phone call or a e mail works. I have grand kids I send presents to and I just appreciate a phone call saying thanks and I get that Christmas Day when we call each other and that means A LOT!!!!! If I send other gifts to my family out of state they just call and say thanks and I appreciate that and I don't expect any more then that. My husbands family at our house when we exchange gifts we say thanks in an e mail when we do a secret santa exchange. I think it depends too on the people and how formal they are. IMO and what my relationship is with them. If it was my husbands boss and his wife then I would send a thank you note, but for extended family and family no I'd go the e mail and phone call route.

Exactly! To me it's just common courtesy and it takes very little effort to write a thank you note.

If it's family and I am in their presence I might not. But even if I opened the gift in front of friends I still would take the time to acknowledge it with a note. It takes so little effort to be appreciative and thankful............let people know how you feel. It makes you feel good too.

Carol

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a personal phone call is even better, but if not that, then definately a hand written thankyou note.

I believe any way you acknowledge the gift is a good thing. Be it notes, email, phone calls, person to person thank you.....

Thank you all for taking the time to answer. I am in agreement with you and feel it is the proper thing to do our notes went out the day after Christmas
default_smile.png

Here is my perspective. I have a daughter-in-law who is not particularly fond of my son's side of the family. Families are families...whatever. She sends cards for everything under the sun. It is far easier to send a greeting card picked out in 5 minutes at Wal-Mart than to participate in a personal interaction with her husband's family.

Oh yeah, I am going to hear it for this opinon......but a warm hug or unexpected phone call or just a smile is far more valuable to me than a card from Wal-Mart or Hallmark. Greeting cards are quite a marketable commodity these days. Just not everyone sees their value in the same way.

I believe any way you acknowledge the gift is a good thing. Be it notes, email, phone calls, person to person thank you.....

Totally agree......... The way I was brought up was to write thank you notes.......but times have changed.

I think you should thank them in person if you are in there presence. I cant stand people who open a gift in front of you and then never say thank you!! My husbands brothers wife and kids all NEVER say thank you. They just sit there.. Horrible manners. Now my BIL does say thanks.

I would much prefer a phone call from the person than a paper note-that is just me, I like the personal interaction, but if it is someone you dont see or talk with much a paper thank you is fine... IMO

Although I definitely feel if you say "thank you" in person, in an e-mail, or on the phone is adequate... my parents always made me write thank you notes the day after Christmas. Heck, it can't hurt to say "thank you" twice!

I really do appreciate the time, effort, and/or money it takes to give a gift and I want to make sure my friends and family know it!

Andrea

Latest posts

Back