HELP! SICK FOAL....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JESSMC

Reaction score
sad.gif
HELLO...I AM HOPING FOR ANY SUGGESTIONS OR ADVICE. ABOUT TWO WEEKS AGO MY TWO WEEK OLD FOAL FELL ILL. CAME INTO THE BARN ONE MORNING AND SHE WAS STUMBLING, FALLING OVER (IT WAS ALMOST LIKE SHE WAS DRUNK)...THEN LATER NOT NURSING. TOOK HER TO THE VET...THEY DID SOME BLOOD TESTS...DIDN'T FIND ANYTHING. THE VET GUESSED IT COULD BE A THIAMINE DEFICIENCY. SHE PUT HER ON THIAMINE SHOTS AND ANITBIOTICS, SHE STARTED NURSING. SHE SEEMED TO BE DOING A LITTLE BETTER. BUT NOW SHE IS STUMBLING AGAIN FOR PAST COUPLE DAYS. WE HAVE BEEN KEEPING HER OFF GRASS, THINKING THAT IT MIGHT BE SOMETHING IN THE PASTURE, BUT THERE ARE SEVERAL OTHER HORSES OUT THERE WITH HER, TWO OF THEM ARE BABIES AND HEY ARE FINE. ANY HELP YOU COULD GIVE IS GREATLY APPRECIATED! THANKS

I have no idea but I would get a call into your vet asap.

This could be anything at all.

Could also be a heat stroke. I am wondering if your horse is warm or hot and has a temp? They don't necessarily have to run a temp for a heat stroke but I would check to see if she feels hot to you. You have to keep her cooled down if that's the case and give her plenty of fluids. Pedilite and Gatorade is great stuff.

Consult your vet soon.

I do come to the forum a lot for help, and they do always help.

BUT, when it is a baby, I go to the vet, ASAP! They go down hill much to quickly to wait. It sounds like the first guess may have been wrong,,,,,,,I'd be calling your vet. Does the foal have any other symptoms?

Good luck

SHE I NOT FEVERISH AND I HAVE BEEN IN CONSTANT CONTACT WITH THE VET. THE BABY IS DOING WELL EXCEPT FOR THAT, EATING AND DRINKING WELL . ...

Try some kayro syrup. See if that helps her. Seems like one year I had several foals with similar symptoms and the vet could not find anything. I called a long time breeder and that was his suggestion to me. It worked, they did not become disoriented or wobbly again.

I am assuming you called the vet this eve., as well? Most important to do that.

Kayro gives them energy, increases their appetites. She could just have low blood sugar. It is fairly common in miniatures from my understanding. Also perhaps some gatorade. It has electolytes and sugar in it?

Hope she does well for you?

Beth

Latest posts

Back