help!please!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rattlebox

Reaction score
default_new_shocked.gif
Please help,any suggestions,advice,anything please! My 4 month old mini colt yesterday started dragging his left hind leg!His hock doesn't seem to be working correctly- limp.He drags it toe out.No swelling or malformities,no open wounds,no pain when palpated,holds weight when he has it directly under him.He can lay down and then get back up.Don't think its broken,but maybe dislocated-it pops when he gets it in the right direction.The vet can not get out here till Tuesday!She said if he's up and walking around-its not broke!ANYONE PLEASE!!!!!!!

I wonder if his stifle is locked? Can you try to stand in front of him and gently back him up, to see if he will "unlock"?

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if his stifle is locked? Can you try to stand in front of him and gently back him up, to see if he will "unlock"?

Thanks for your reply-when we try to back him up -his leg wont hold at all-he sits

Sorry to hear about your colt. I would get a vet to look at him ASAP.

The vet is coming at 8 am on Tuesday-I have no trailer or car big enough to take him to the other vet hospital-but they were also -if he is not exhibiting pain - he should be kept quiet and should be fine till Tuesday.-------AGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

What are you doing Online? The colt needs a vet! I would be getting in touch with anyone I know with a trailer to get him there BEFORE Tuesday.

What are you doing Online? The colt needs a vet! I would be getting in touch with anyone I know with a trailer to get him there BEFORE Tuesday.

DO YOU NOT THINK I HAVE TRIED!!!!!!!!!!!LOOKING FOR HELP AND ADVICE INCASE ITS SOMETHING THAT I CAN DO TO MAKE THIS BETTER FOR HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!I HAVE TRIED EVERY TYPE OF VET- BEGGING AND PLEADING WITH ANYONE THAT WOULD LISTEN!!!!!!!!YOU PEOPLE ON HERE WERE MY LAST SANITY !!!!!!!!!!!!!

By your description it is likely his stifle is locked, not an uncommon thing in minis and he is the right age to start showing it. The leg can be manually unlocked but hard to desribe in a posting, your vet should be able to show you how to do it. This condition often first shows up when an a young horse is going through a growth spurt. Keeping the toes trimmed and excercise will help him get past it though some do require surgery (a fairly minor procedure) if they do not outgrow it.

By your description it is likely his stifle is locked, not an uncommon thing in minis and he is the right age to start showing it. The leg can be manually unlocked but hard to desribe in a posting, your vet should be able to show you how to do it. This condition often first shows up when an a young horse is going through a growth spurt. Keeping the toes trimmed and excercise will help him get past it though some do require surgery (a fairly minor procedure) if they do not outgrow it.

Thank you for your constructive help!He is a big mini and his feet are trimmed/filed or put through the motions about every other week- even if not needed -just so he gets used to it-!But,was scared to death!to see our little love dragging it behind him!He does put all his weight on it when in the proper position- thank god!

No neighbors with trailers?

At least if this doesn't turn out badly you now know why it's imperative to have a trailer on call. Good luck.

No neighbors with trailers?
At least if this doesn't turn out badly you now know why it's imperative to have a trailer on call. Good luck.

No neighbors with trailers-we are the only ones with horses for at least 5 miles and most of them dont have trailers either!Thanks-we are going to buy a trailer next weekend- no more of this !

Something that jumps to my mind is whether or not it's safe to trailer her now? I don't know the answer.

If I were in your shoes, having talked to the vet already as you did, I'd also likely come here for some insight and advice. In my opinion, you are acting responsible and like a good horsewoman.

I just wish I knew how to describe how to unlock him if it is his stifle (as I suspect it to be).

Do you have any banamine and acepromezine? You can give a dosage of each of these and it can help if it is a stifle lock. Get the dosage from your vet. When my colt was locked up hard I gave him that on my vet's advice, and he popped back in himself about 30 minutes later. The drugs will relieve the inflammation and also relax the muscles enough to allow it to happen. If it doesn't happen on its own within 45 minutes I would try backing him up by pushing on his nose as recommended above, or try to pick up the leg to help it pop back in. The drugs should help.

Best of luck to you, I know how scared I was when my boy's stifle wouldn't pop back in.

Having a horse getting up and down and around on a leg like that for three days isn't something I'd want. I would think there's got to be a safe way to trailer the colt to a vet before Tuesday if a trailer can be found. I just can't imagine there not being a vet available to come out on call...

Something that jumps to my mind is whether or not it's safe to trailer her now? I don't know the answer.
If I were in your shoes, having talked to the vet already as you did, I'd also likely come here for some insight and advice. In my opinion, you are acting responsible and like a good horsewoman.

I just wish I knew how to describe how to unlock him if it is his stifle (as I suspect it to be).

THANK YOU!!!!!I needed that! I love my little guy and would do or try anything for him!I thought it might be stifle lock ,bt when one of our other horses had had that -it litterally would lock stiff- but my guys little leg -when the hoof is back seems loose-almost as if attached with no control.But when he gets it properly under him-he rests all his weight on it-even stands on it when kicking away flies with the other leg

Do you have any banamine and acepromezine? You can give a dosage of each of these and it can help if it is a stifle lock. Get the dosage from your vet. When my colt was locked up hard I gave him that on my vet's advice, and he popped back in himself about 30 minutes later. The drugs will relieve the inflammation and also relax the muscles enough to allow it to happen. If it doesn't happen on its own within 45 minutes I would try backing him up by pushing on his nose as recommended above, or try to pick up the leg to help it pop back in. The drugs should help.
Best of luck to you, I know how scared I was when my boy's stifle wouldn't pop back in.

I"ll called and got the amount I should give him from the equine hospital -150mg - banamine-going to try that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Be right back!!!!!!!!!

Ask your vet about Equiox.

Hang in there- your little guy will be feeling better soon....I just know it!

Peggy

So sorry about your little guy... I know how hard it is too to find a vet on a HOLIDAY weekend. They are all usually out of town, and the ones that are covering for them all are spread very thin. Without knowing for sure what is wrong with your foal, I would not trailer either- if it is not a locked stifle, and he fell or something in the trailer, the damage could be worse. I would just keep the horse quiet and hope that someone can look at him before Tuesday, but if not... there is nothing else you can do.

Keep us posted, but I would for sure see if you can find anyone you know to ask if perhaps you could borrow their trailer for the next day or so in case he gets worse during the night or something? It can be scary, and to have no vet available or not know what is wrong is so frustrating.

Hang in there, and do what you can. Is the horse still eating and drinking ok? Seem stressed any?

Hello,

I believe your baby will be fine, just give him some time. Not all Vets know what to do in this instance and I know that it is hard to watch them like that. I do not believe they are in pain tho., and do know that is hard to believe.

I would continue to try to contact a vet if he dose not improve, I have had one that dragged his legs for over 2 weeks and all of sudden it just 'popped in on its own". He has been fine ever since.

I bet its "just" the stifle..i remember when i had a mare and she was my first (and only) stifle locking situation and i remember looking out in the pasture and seeing her dragging her back legged all locked up...i remember about having a panic attack but breathe..you both will be fine and have a vet take a look just to make sure.

Latest posts

Back