Help Please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miniaddiction

Reaction score
Disco has been here for two days now and he is a wreck! He paces the fenceline constantly, wont eat his feed, calls out really loud all day even though Katie is right there next to him...... When i get him out to try and take his mind off it he is rude and pushy. Its like hes had too much sugar and cant keep still! Im not sure that I want to paddock them together because its just the two of them and im worried they will get too attached to eachother and be inseperable at shows.....grrr sorry for going on but i need top vent and get help/advice.

Thanks, Helen

When I first got my 2nd mare, Firefly, she did a lot like you are deciding. I'm betting in a few more days, he'll have adjusted much more.

I'm assuming you just bought Disco?

Two days is nothing in a horse's life after he's been moved and relocated to a new place.

My goodness of course he is a wreck. Think of him as a tiny child that is lost. He does not know where he is or why and what happened to his home. He's scared, frustrated, confused and probably wearing himself out. He may also become agressive and act out too.

He wants to know where the other horses are and he wants to be with them.

He needs understanding and reassuarnce that he is going to be ok.

But at the same time, you do need to establish boundries with him right now to let him know that being pushy isn't going to be allowed. Don't worry about him eating either. He won't let himself starve to death. When he settles down, he's going to figure out he's hungry and he'll eat when he does. Just give him some more time.

If I were you, I would put the halter and lead rope on him and keep him busy and get his minds off of things. Groom him, talk to him, train him, just sit with him and do keep a handle on some manners. Don't let him start that bullying you around at all.

He is going to calm down. It will get better day by day but not overnight. I've had them come here and not adjust for a month and another month before they figured out thier place in the herd.

Im not sure that I want to paddock them together because its just the two of them and im worried they will get too attached to eachother and be inseperable at shows...

I think that is probably a pretty good idea. I've had "herd bound" horses in the past and when trying to take one away for training or showing, it would be very difficult to get one to focus ON ME instead of "where's my buddy?". So as long as he can easily see the other horses and gets used to being pulled from them, this could make things easier on you both in the future.

Marty, you always give me such good advice. Thankyou! I took him for a walk just before and he was biting and pushing me over so I pushed him away and he was all scared of me..... I guess I still need to be firm with him but Nice to him too....

How long has it been since your boy was gelded? Perhaps he is having some studdly tendencies still?

I would put him with your mare for now anyway and see if he will settle down? You can seperate them again once he is accustumed to his new surroundings and feels more at ease there. Bad manners tho., are not acceptable under any circumstances! So I would stay on top of that.

Good luck!

Beth

Heh- I clicked on this with the idea that the next word after the title might be "mares".
smile.gif

Thought we might have to have a little anatomy lesson.
risa8.gif

Daryl

i would not put him with the mare, teach him to like other horses.. but not depend!!!
nono.gif
too many minis are too close & are hard to show, train, sell & buy.
no.gif

take him on a lead hope to meet her & say hello if you desire, but don't stable or paddock them together.
nono.gif

good luck tho!
yes.gif

ps. give him lots of love!! try raising your voice, saying NOto him when he is being bad

desiree
smile.gif

BigDogs & LittleHorses said:
Heh- I clicked on this with the idea that the next word after the title might be "mares". 
smile.gif

Thought we might have to have a little anatomy lesson. 
risa8.gif

Daryl

420828[/snapback]

LMAO!!!!!!!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Darryl that is soooo funny! I only just realised. Nope no lesson needed!

If it were me I would try to put them together. I hate seening horses in distress like that. The only horses that I have a problem with depending on each other are foals going into there yearling year, but that is expected. I have never had older horses bond so much that they cant be apart.

That said my gelding and my cousins gelding were brothers. They went to every show together and stalled together. Come winter my gelding goes home, and hers stays at my aunts. Well my cousins gelding was put down this spring, I have not had my gelding out ther at all since and he is retired from the show ring for many reasons, but alot do to the fact I dont want to get my cousin all sad again. Those boys were always together and it just wouldnt be right to have one but not the other there.

Horses are Herd animals, golly, we ALL know that much, surely?? What on earth would be the point of having two and keeping them apart?? Put them in together, Helen, and work on making them accept being apart later. My Show Horses are stalled next to one another, go our together, go to shows together, sure the Yearling throws a fit when I take the mare away- she gets over it!! I would no more keep horses alone (if there is an option ) than I would take wing and fly!!! So, put them in and let him settle, he's frantic by the sound of it, then take him out for walks and make him listen to you. He's just been uprooted and traumatised- give him a friend!!!

I would put them in together and give him something to think about besides being in a new place. As Rabbitfizz states, horses are herd animals and are always happier together.

As far as being inseparable, working them on the longe or in a round pen should take care of that. It establishes you as "boss mare" in their minds and they will accept being away. When you go out with them, they should be focused on you and not on anything else such as their buddy, the grass that is sooo much greener outside their paddock, etc. Once he gets settled in and adjusted, you just need to work with him and establish that relationship.

I have worked with both abused horses and BLM mustangs. With a horse that is pushy, frightened or just doesn't know, I use a learn-learn technique. I ask the horse to do something such as stand to have it's feet trimmed. If it gets nervous or pushy or fidgety, I send him out on the longe for a few circles in each direction. When I bring him back in, I ask for the stand again and then repeat this until he stands quietly. Horses are pretty smart and they figure out quickly that if they don't do what I ask, they work. Longing also releases tension in a horse that is frightened or tense.

It's just one of the things that I learned from the Least Resistance Training group. I hope it helps.

Back