HELP!! PENNY GOT SKUNKED!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chelsey

Reaction score
Hi to all ,

I haven't posted in awhile . But i am in desperate need of your help . Some of you know penny, my yorkie. She is always after something . This time it was a SKUNK!!
new_shocked.gif
UNDER THE HOUSE!! I am feeling light headed as i type . The smell is so bad i can taste it .Can you die from something that smells this bad!!?(just joking i know you can't)
smileypuke.gif
I feel like i could .

Please how do i get the smell off of Penny?

Oooh, I feel for you, Chelsey!! Last year in the spring, one of my JRTs got skunked. So close up, in fact, that it looked like yellow paint behind her ear. I just happened to have a big can of tomatoe juice at home, which I mixed with white vinegar, and doused her in that. Rubbed it in really well, then rinsed her. I followed that up with some Pert shampoo because that was all I had, and honest to God, she did not stink at all when she was dry! I think the key was the vinegar.

Good luck!!!

Actually the key is the tomato juice.and of course the vinegar didnt hurt. Tomato juice or stewed tomatos will work.I learned this many years ago when a friend of my sons tried to catch one of our black and white rabbits to put it back in its cage Yep you guessed it the varmit he was chasing in the dark wasnt a rabbit. LOL

How To Get Rid of Skunk Odor on A Dog

If your dog has been sprayed by a skunk, here is supposedly the

best recipe for ridding a dog of skunk smell on a dog.

Home remedy for removing skunk odor from a dog:

1 quart 3% hydrogen peroxide

1/3 cup baking soda

1 Tablespoon liquid dish soap

Mix ingredients together. The mixture will fizz and may explode

if kept in a closed container, so use it up each time you mix it

and don't try to save the rest. Use a sponge to apply the

solution to your dog, kneading it into his coat; avoid the eyes,

nose, and mouth as you sponge the face gently. Rinse thoroughly

with lots of water. To be effective, this treatment must be

applied within four hours after exposure to the skunk spray.

Improved Skunk Odor Remover

Submitted to Recipe Goldmine by Jay S. Tung, Elan Pharmaceuticals, 800 Gateway Blvd., South San Francisco, CA 94080

Here is an "improved" skunk odor remover given to me by a vet. I noticed that you have a skunk odor remover for dogs. I have tried both of these and they work OK but there is still a residual amount of skunk odor on the animals, and with this bit of smell the dogs cannot come inside.

1 bottle hydrogen peroxide

1/2 bottle water

1/4 cup baking soda

1 teaspoon dog shampoo

Mix hydrogen peroxide with water. Add baking soda and dog shampoo. Mix and pour into a squirt bottle/sprayer. Spray entire bottle onto dog, being careful not to get it directly into his eyes/nose. Let everything stand for 5 to 10 minutes while working the solution into his fur. Rinse......your dog will have NO odor. You can have him sit on your lap and you will not smell ANYTHING.

NOTE: Vinegar and tomato juice are acidic solutions which can solubilize and wash away the stinky components of the skunk. However you can never really wash away 100% of the stench which is a sulfur containing compound. The peroxide oxidizes the sulfur (thiols) to a compound that has no odor.

Thank you all for answering my cry for help so quickly! The tomato juice and vinegar did the trick .

Now she smells like a salad
eat.gif
. Just joking , I washed her with people shampoo after the vinegar/tomato bath . Now she smells GREAT! You would never guess she was even skunked!

I thank you all , my nose thanks you , the other dogs thank you , the whole family thanks you
worshippy.gif
worshippy.gif
worshippy.gif

Latest posts

Back