Help Needed! Is Our Mare Ready to Foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DunPainted

Reaction score
Our fifteen year old mare (3 time world halter champ thanks to Renee of Lucky Hart Ranch) has been keeping us guessing all summer. Her last breeding date is July 24, 2004.....so we figured she had a false pregnancy and was keeping on the weight.

Well, we checked her on Saturday and WOW, she had a huge bag on her and...

No V-shaped belly

No saggy coup

No elongated vulva

Well, this morning, this poor gal was so HUGE and a constant dripping came from her teats. Our autistic son, David, made me promise to take our mare to Dr. Lisa for an ultra sound because she looked so uncomfortable with that HUGE BAG!

I trailered up Nissi an her friend, Amira, to have the vet look at them. Figured a good trailer ride just might "shake things up a bit". The vet ultra sounded the mare in question, both internally and externally.....too big to get a "reading". The vet checked Amira and said she's ready at any time.

NissiSept19.jpg

NissiBagSept19.jpg

QUESTION: HAVE ANY OF YOUR MARES KEPT YOU GUESSING LIKE THIS?
no.gif

At the moment, Nissi has sagged about an inch AND David just checked her tailset and said that it's loose.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cindy

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm no help Cindy.

Holly pulled the same crap on me too! No signs of foaling and just one night I was on the forum and happened to look up at my moniter and son of a gun, there she was a down and plopping on me!

All I know is Cindy is just to be there for her! Jerry and I did a little bit of pulling, not much, though because I thought those legs were sticking out a little bit to long for me and well I said to Jerry "LET"S PULL THIS KID OUTTA THERE!!!!!!"

If I can do it, you can do it Cindy!

Just let the good times rollllllllll......

I sure hope you have a lot of nice herbal tea......

Not a drinking woman but I tell you that after that delivery, I sure wished for a brief moment that I had a bottle of moonshine to calm me down.

Good luck Cindy! You're having a baby!
yes.gif

I had a mare do a false pregnancy up to the final day. She had the big belly, v shape, saggy butt, loose tail and LONG drips of wax on her teats. Her filly (5 at the time) was preggo with her first foal at the same time. Went out to check the iminate mare and found a foal with the daughter. Once the daughter foaled, all the symptoms/signs went away on this mare.

WOW!!! Cindy,

She sounds very close!! Hope you and David are sleeping in the barn tonight but I know you will be!!

Hoping you have a healthy baby by morning and better, yet how about 2 healthy babies!!!!
yes.gif

Hey Cindy & David,

I'm wishing a beautiful baby for you, and soon! My Sarah (donkey) is dripping milk and has a HUGE bag too. Maybe we'll both have little ones tonight.

Cindy, why don't you put the pictures of the two mares on here, that way everyone can really try to give better opinions??
yes.gif

But I hope you have two beautiful babies by morning!

Last edited by a moderator:
Cindy,

Anything happening???

I wanted to write last night but our internet server dumped us.

We've only had one false pregnancy and she never developed such a full bag that she was dripping milk! She did have "liquid" and developed a small bag, enough that we milk tested her. Her test never went beyond the mid-range in calcium.

MA

Hi Everyone!

Thanks so much for the words of wisdom and encouragement. Generally, I'm more composed about births, but this gal's giving us a run for the money!

Here are some photos taken at 4pm yesterday. She's still the same this morning!

NissiSept19.jpg

NissiBagSept19.jpg

Poor David, he's so worried she's gonna burst from all the pressure on her bag! (Who said autistic people cannot empathize!)

We're having thunderstorms throughout the day, so perhaps the barometric pressure change might do the trick. Truth be told, I'm feeling a bit "mental" about even posting, because I'll feel so dumb if she's pullin a good one one us with a pseudo pregnancy!

The one shread of hope I have is Nissi's conversation with Bonnie Fogg a few months ago. Nissi told her that she is so uncomfortably pregnant and her feet hurt.

Thanks for letting me share and allow me to retain some sense of dignity. Marty, I cannot begin to thank you for your nice post...it means a lot to be supported by you. Donna and Marnie...thanks for putting up with SUPER SPAZ the last couple days. Of course, Mary Ann, it's so nice to hear from someone who's foaled out so many babies....that's another shread of hope! Fiona, you'll be on my "announcement" list when Sissi's sister or brother arrives!

Awww Cindy, I hate to even reply to this, but when I look at those pics, that mare really does not even "look" pregnant to me. She looks VERY, VERY fat, and I am thinking she is experiencing a false pregnancy. I sure hope I am wrong though! Your vet wouldn't try to rectally palpate her for pregnancy??

When Marty first posted the pics of her mare, I thought she did not look pregnant either, but when she posted the new ones not long before she foaled, there was definately a difference, and she then looked in foal.

Is there ANY chance she could have been bred at a later date??? If her last breeding date was July 24, then she would have been due around the last week in June.

Latest posts

Back