Help, my horse has Balanitis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrid

Reaction score
Hello,

My horse has balanitis
default_no.gif
(not my mini, I didn't know where else to ask). My vet has cleaned him twice in a 3 week span and it comes right back. From what I understand its like having a yeast infection, his penis has white crud all over it and has a slight odor. A friend had a horse with it and could never get rid of it, the horse had it for 10 years and then developed cancer. If anyone has ever come across this, I would really appreciate any info. I thought if I could clean it every weekend that it might help but so far he's been reluctant to let me (he won't drop it enough).
default_gaah.gif

Thank you

Sorry to hear you are going through difficult times. I wish you the best. I have no experience in this- hope your vet can figure it all out for you.

Peggy

Your description is a little different than what thehorse.com has. It says that it is caused by the herpes virus and blistering is involved. It sounds like it mostly resolves on its own too. Here is the article: Reproductive Emergencies of the Stallion You may need to be a member to read it but I think it is free to become one and there is tons of good stuff on there.
default_smile.png

If its herpes its incurable... but that's really an STD that you have to catch from another infected horse, its not really something that can develop on its own. It seems to me that the problem is an inbalance of flora on the gelding's penis rather than a herpes infection.

Latest posts

Back