Help me?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ApolloIsMyPony

Reaction score
I have a nylon harness for Apollo and the bridle is weird. There are two straps that seem like they are supposed to cross over his head. And there are two straps going over his head, from the crownpiece to the browband. But the two straps that go diagonally down his face just baffle me. Are they supposed to be there? Because there is no noseband and maybe this is supposed to work as one? But there is no where to put his forelock so it just has to smush against his poor little face...any help and if you think you have the same type of bridle, post pics...thanks,.

I like to braid the forelock when my horse is in harness. I really dislike the "mushed" look, plus it gets into their eyes. It is bad enough they can't see around them, it just doesn't seem fair to restrict the frontal vision as well.

Here is a picture for you. I think the straps you are talking about are the over-check parts. This doesn't show the face very well, but it might help if you need to see the rest.

completeharness.jpg

And that was my first time putting the harness on by myself so I know things might be wrong...feel free to tell me what they are...Clickie here

Oh yes, you should definately get that forelock braided...the poor horse is blind in there.
new_shocked.gif
biggrin.gif

It looks like everything is in the right place, now it just has to be adjusted. Your breeching does look too low, but without it tightened, it is difficult to say where it should be.

You have just rigged it that way for the photos, right?? You know that the tugs, that you have attached the breeching to are for the shafts to go through??

If I were you I'd be returning that harness! I don't like nylon harness in the first place, because it usually doesn't fit well at all. But this one---that bridle is AWFUL!!

The browband, is it really so short that is the only place it will fit? I realize you say the harness is all adjusted now, but that browband simply doesn't look long enough. It should not be up there wrapped around his ears like that!

And the winker stay--is much too tight across his face.

Sorry if this offends you, but that bridle is garbage.

Sorry if this offends you, but that bridle is garbage.
new_shocked.gif
sad.gif

Slow down there...whew...

Take the forelock and braid it up out of the way, and with someone who knows how to adjust a harness, try to move the blinders up a hole or two, and lower the bit-straps. As for the browband, I too have found some too short, and rather than throw the harness away,
rolleyes.gif
I have made new ones, which works quite well, and the blinder-stays, well, I would have them replaced as well...it CAN be done.
yes.gif

I don't personally like nylon harness either, for several reasons, but because this member already has this one...I didn't find it necessary to force my opinion on it.

Returning this is just not an option. I'm lucky I even HAVE a harness...and I'm lucky my dad is willing to find a used cart... If I have to I'll flipping MAKE a new bridle with twigs or something but I know my dad won't return this. Besides, it was fitted JUST for him.

rabbitsfizz said:
You have just rigged it that way for the photos, right??  You know that the tugs, that you have attached the breeching to are for the shafts to go through??
426363[/snapback]

Yea

The mini in my Avatar is wearing a nylon harness they CAN be adjusted. In fact with a hot nail its rather easy. Mine took alot of adjusting, I lost count at 30. But I feel it fits really well now. The one thing I found with the nylon harness that was hard to adjust was the blinkers. I ended up taking a piece of HEAVY gage electric fence wire and threading it through it (the nylon is hollow on mine and tightly woven). It stiffened it right up and is more adjustable now. I also added some gold/diamond trim from walmart (idea for this forum) and I put a "K" on the blinkers with a gold paint pen for laughs. Who said nylon has to be ugly.

Do a SEARCH on this forum "A Pet Peeve of mine" the posters did an excellent job of posting pictures that helped me adjust my harness.

Also if you need to make a new brow band and have a dollar store near you, they have nylon dog collars and leads you can cut (burn the edges so they don't fray) and sew. (I used a regular sewing machine and it worked great)

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not use that bridle on your horse unless you get it modified. Put a longer brow band on it, and fix those winker stays somehow so that they are longer, not pulled tight against his face like they are in that photo. I don't know how that can be done, since I don't have the bridle in front of me, but I'd figure out something for it since returning the harness isn't an option.

Or, as long as your horse doesn't mind seeing the cart behind him, I'd replace the bridle with an open bridle that fits properly. (Works as long as you aren't in the show ring.) I usually drive without a check anyway, and I've driven big horses in open bridles for years. I'm using blinkers on all the Minis, just because I don't have any open bridles small enough to fit them.

Tabitha said:
I would not use that bridle on your horse unless you get it modified.  Put a longer brow band on it, and fix those winker stays somehow so that they are longer, not pulled tight against his face like they are in that photo.  I don't know how that can be done, since I don't have the bridle in front of me, but I'd figure out something for it since returning the harness isn't an option.
Or, as long as your horse doesn't mind seeing the cart behind him, I'd replace the bridle with an open bridle that fits properly. (Works as long as you aren't in the show ring.) I usually drive without a check anyway, and I've driven big horses in open bridles for years.  I'm using blinkers on all the Minis, just because I don't have any open bridles small enough to fit them.

426572[/snapback]

Thank you...actually, I would MUCH rather get like...a riding bridle or something and put on the half cheek hes been going in...would that be possible? If I really needed blinkers I would get some on there somehow...but I'm much used to the riding bridles anyway.

Sure, a riding bridle would work fine.

Is your horse already trained for driving? If so, just do a bit of ground work with him and the cart before you hitch him, to make sure that he won't mind the sight of the cart coming behind him (chances are he's only been driven in blinkers up until now.)

Tabitha said:
Sure, a riding bridle would work fine.
Is your horse already trained for driving?  If so, just do a bit of ground work with him and the cart before you hitch him, to make sure that he won't mind the sight of the cart coming behind him (chances are he's only been driven in blinkers up until now.)

426911[/snapback]

No...but I've been ground driving...hopefully I'll find some tires for him to drag eventually...And I will make sure he doesn't mind the cart behind him. I think for a long time I'm going to have a helper, whether it be a friend, my mom, or my dad, lead him while I'm in the cart - once I do get in the cart, just in case anything happens.

Latest posts

Back