Help me Pick :)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KLJcowgirl

Reaction score
Hello again!

I think I'm ready to start building my collection of mini bits. LOL

I've been trying to decide between these two:

http://miniexpress.com/105-1-french-link-stainless-steel-driving-bit/

https://chimacumtack.com/product/half-cheek-roller-mouth-bit/

I'm just curious what your opinions are, or if it even matters. I just have a regular half cheek snaffle right now. Miss May is a bit mouthy with her bit and I get quite a bit of head tossing when more pressure is applied, but other than that I don't really have any issues (I just gotta have more stuff haha
default_whistling.gif
).

Thank you!

(CRAP! Apparently I'm blind... there's another recent thread about this.... Sorry!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you use an over check? The French link you can attach the over check to, but I would think you might not be able to use one with the roller bit because of the way the cheek piece of the bridle has to connect to the bit. But I am not sure.

Maybe there is a way but I can't see it? Hope that made sense, it's hard to describe what I mean!

Did you ever try a Mullen? They can be good for the fussy mouths too.

You can attach a check to either of those. The one may be a tight fit unless your bridle has fairly fine straps but it can be done.

I would choose tge plaun french link--i have several of them and know them to be good bits. The other one--some like it (I cannot say that exact bit as I dont know who made it) have been known to break during use (not worn by any means)--a few years back a number of people had the Myler lookalikes break. If you choose it just check it regularly for any sign of problems. Perhaps this particular bit is perfectly fine. I am just wary of Myler lookalikes that are priced under $50

Oh, good to know about the breakage Minimor... Certainly wouldn't want that to happen.

I was kind of leaning toward the french link, as it does seem many really like them. The roller just intrigued me.

Cayuse, I do use a check... it's permanently attached to my bridle
default_thumbdown.gif
And that did make sense, hadn't thought about that. My leather isn't all that fine, so it may be a tight squeeze.

I only have the one bit, still building my mini tack collection haha! So I've never tried a Mullen (never used one on the full sizes either). Maybe I'll need to get two new bits!

Man, I'm so good at budgeting and saving my money until it comes to horse stuff! Something just takes over me and says "THIS IS ALL NECESSARY! IT'S A NEED NOT A WANT!"
default_risa_suelos.gif

I know what you mean about equine spending sprees. I am about to go one one, time for blankets! Colorful blankets! BRIGHT COLORFUL BLANKETS!

Minimor, thanks for the heads up on the bit, Cappy's bridle is not very fine, maybe at some point I will get a new one and can try that bit on Cappy. I have not hit the perfect bit for him yet. Getting closer though.

I am a fan of french link and my horses prefer them also. I had a Myler like the second bit, but it was somewhat heavy. I liked it, as it was a beautiful bit, but horse did not like it. Also, could not get the overcheck on it

He did not like the mullen either.

Horses that chomp on the bit can damage the copper, but I've had a couple of heavy-duty chompers and they only scarred it up a little. I've had my mini express bits for many years now; I have them in 3 sizes. I have never had one break.

It's fun to add to your bit collection!

I just put Clementine and my riding horse Comic in French Link bits. We switched from single jointed snaffle bits. They both seem to like them and I get more directional control with less pressure than I was getting with the SJS.

Alrighty, I feel kind of silly for asking now haha but I will probably go with the french link! That was my original plan.

Thank you so much!

Maybe if I can, while we're talking about bits, is there a time you ever move them up to shanked/leverage bits when driving? I mean, how and when do you decide you use one? Would that be for showing? More finesse? Just out of curiosity... Not really planning on getting one for little miss.

I'm posting this link because your question made me curious. I am one of few riders around here who continues to ride in a snaffle bit vs a leverage bit (curb bit). You can apply sooo much pressure with curb bit that I've always figured it was better for my horse and myself to learn to ride well in a snaffle. I just went the same route when driving Clem. Anyway... I started Google-ing when I read your question and I found this article interesting and helpful as it applies to the driving of horses rather than riding. Thought you might find it interesting as well.

http://www.carriagedriving.net/index.php?m=a&a=6

since driving minis, i have always used a mullen mouth. i have a real problem with curbs or snaffles.

there have always been exceptions though. my Charlie loves the mullen mouth and he has a very responsive mouth , a turn requires a very light baby finger touch.

after the article Major clementine added, i may try the snaffle and see how it works.

thanks Majorclementine for a very interesting article. i sure enjoyed it

I think one needs to be an expert horseman to use many horse aids, such as a curb bit. Recognizing that one may not have the skills or experience to use a tool properly is important. I just ordered my first rope halter. I have never felt confident using one until now. Most horsefolk I know have no idea how bits and pressure tools work.

When I was a child I had a hard headed, good natured horse named Dusty. As a wild, barefoot little girl, there wasn't much I could do if he misbehaved. We preferred to ride without saddles, just jumping on and riding for fun, or fetching the cows from the pasture. Because he wouldn't always whoa, my dad put him in a hackamore. We had no real idea how it worked, but he did whoa after that. Did I abuse it? I'm sure I did. I had to leave Dusty behind when we moved and I've always wondered what happened to him.

olddusty.jpg

That was a very interesting article Major, thank you!

And I'm with you, I only ride my horse in a leverage bit when I'm getting ready for or at a show (and I only do two or three of those a year), otherwise he's in a single jointed snaffle. Part of why I was curious about the leverage in driving is that I always understood them as a one hand, light contact bit, so it didn't quite make sense to me. Your link pretty much answered that for me
default_smile.png

Maybe I'll get a French link for my big guy too..... Hmmmmmmmm. I'll try it out on little miss first and see how it works for her.

And yes Marsha I totally agree with you on knowing how things work! Things sure change and new info is always coming out and I feel it's so hard to keep up sometimes.

Latest posts

Back