Help! Maybe I messed up!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Driving4fun

Reaction score
I guess I should have come here with all my questions!

I just purchased the Stewart by Oster Clipmaster clippers for body clipping. I haven't read a thing about them on here. Did I mess up?

Also, I was going to buy another set to do the finish work and small or hard to reach areas. Had thought about getting the Oster Turbo A5's what is everyones opinion on them? For this job or should I buy something else? PLEASE let me know I had almost placed the order today to get them!

Too late I guess on the clipmasters! They should be arriving any day now. But, please advise me on the others that I might need to do my clipping for showing this summer!

Thanks to all in advance!

Leave it to me to jump first, then think about what I have done!

Dont sweat it. I used the clipmasters for years even on show horses and got pretty darn good at it. I still use the clipmasters for that first nasty clip of the year when they arent as clean as they should be. It just charges right through the thick and long hair.

Now I do a much closer and detailed clip for show, especially halter horses. I do prefer the Double K's for body as the clipmasters are very heavy and the older I get and the more horses I so the harder it is on my joints.

I also used the Oster A5's for years as my detail clipper, heck the first year I had a mini that is all I had and did body clips with it! Again, I have learned and it is better to spend the extra money and get the Laube's or Andis, I prefer my Laubes and they are about $160.

Now if you have only one horse and dont intend on getting and showing several, you will do just fine with the less espensive clippers. I still have my first set of Osters and pull them out in a pinch when I need another pair or when I am clipping my dogs. They have lasted me 10+ years.

Look at teh clipper thread for others thoughts as well.

Thanks Annette!

So if I do the first clipping in the spring with the clipmasters couldn't I go back a few weeks later with a better clipper and do more of a show cut? What would you recommend for that and could I use the same clipper for detailing for this job. I will be showing this year about 5 -6 times so need to do what is best.

I did body clip two of mine last year with the clipmasters that a friend let me use, they were heavy, I used the A5's to clean up behind the clipmasters and then for head and legs. Took me hoursby myself but got the job done! They didn't look too bad.

How close to a show should we clip? Does anyone ever show a mini that really sheds down to a bautiful coat that really is more pretty not touched by a clipper? I have a bay mare that is beautiful in her natural coat.

Thanks for the advise.

You bet you can! Those old lawnmowers as I call them really cut through the crud.

Like I did, if you are only showing 1 or 2 you can get by with the A5's. It is most important to use a good blade as you wont get a good cut with a dull blade no matter what clippers you use.

If you are going to only get one clipper this year, get the Double K's and use your A5's for detailing. Then when you have some extra cash go ahead and get a better set of small clippers.

Use what you have and try the waters before you spend a bundle on equipment.

As far as natureal coat, I am the wrong person to ask about that as my view is they need to be clipped. However, many do show in a natural coat and do OK with it on a local level. If you are going Regional or National you need to clip, especially if it is a halter horse.

That is my opinion and I will duck the flame throwers from those that disagree with this.

Thanks again for helping me out here!

I want to buy the smaller set now that will do all the other work needed behind the clipmasters.

I don't care what they cost, so what would be the best to get and also do I go single or two speed?

I am going to go see if I can research some on the Laube clippers - seem folks like them. I am willing to spend the money just need to know what to buy.

Thanks again.

You bet you can! Those old lawnmowers as I call them really cut through the crud.

Like I did, if you are only showing 1 or 2 you can get by with the A5's. It is most important to use a good blade as you wont get a good cut with a dull blade no matter what clippers you use.

If you are going to only get one clipper this year, get the Double K's and use your A5's for detailing. Then when you have some extra cash go ahead and get a better set of small clippers.

Use what you have and try the waters before you spend a bundle on equipment.

As far as natureal coat, I am the wrong person to ask about that as my view is they need to be clipped. However, many do show in a natural coat and do OK with it on a local level. If you are going Regional or National you need to clip, especially if it is a halter horse.

That is my opinion and I will duck the flame throwers from those that disagree with this.

I am pretty much the cheapest around on Laube and Double K................you can go to my page at www.theclipperbarn.com

I am pretty much the cheapest around on Laube and Double K................you can go to my page at www.theclipperbarn.com

Thanks,

Went there and looked. Now what would you recommend for the head, legs and the fine work to be done?

Please help me out . What is the best seller you have for finishing work?

I will email you tomorrow and talk further, my name is Cindy email will be Driving4fun.

Hope we can figure something out together. Thanks

Dont sweat it. I used the clipmasters for years even on show horses and got pretty darn good at it. I still use the clipmasters for that first nasty clip of the year when they arent as clean as they should be. It just charges right through the thick and long hair.

Now I do a much closer and detailed clip for show, especially halter horses. I do prefer the Double K's for body as the clipmasters are very heavy and the older I get and the more horses I so the harder it is on my joints.

I also used the Oster A5's for years as my detail clipper, heck the first year I had a mini that is all I had and did body clips with it! Again, I have learned and it is better to spend the extra money and get the Laube's or Andis, I prefer my Laubes and they are about $160.

Now if you have only one horse and dont intend on getting and showing several, you will do just fine with the less espensive clippers. I still have my first set of Osters and pull them out in a pinch when I need another pair or when I am clipping my dogs. They have lasted me 10+ years.

Where is this clipper page you are referring me to, how do I find it?

Thanks

Sorry , somehow I messed that last reply up
default_sad.png

I was trying to reply back again to Annette seperately from the clipperbarn reply. I just can't even get this replying thing straight! :new_shocked:
default_wacko.png
:

Cindy

Rob is a good friend of mine and I bought my Laube's from him. He can tell you which ones they are. I love them, they weigh like 7 oz and I have even body clipped with them. They are powerful yet light and easy to do all the detailing you need. He also has good prices on blades.

Go to the main forum and look for the thread, Clippers, Reday to buy new ones, it is on the 2nd page. Here is the link but dont know if this will work, I have never done it

clippers reday to buy

Where are you at Cindy?

Rob can you help her out?

Thanks soooo much for your help Annette!

I am located in NC. I have had minis about 8 yrs now. Always had big horses since I was 7. 43 now and still going strong! HEHE!! :aktion033:

I had a late baby at 39 and she is 5 now. I hope she will continue to enjoy the horses if not I still keep going myself. Hope to be buying my daughter a nice riding horse soon. Taking my time to find her the right one. She won her first driving class last fall. The picture to the right is her in costume class at the World Class show in NC. Won the judges heart at that one too!
default_wub.png
:

I will email Rob today from his web site and hope to find what I need. Still have a few months before having to body clip, so hopefully I will be ready this year with my own. Body clipping is new to me, we didn't do much of that in big horse showing! But learning and hopefully won't mess up too much. All mine will be body clipped for any show this year. Except for maybe that bay mare I asked about. Judges really liked her last year and I never body clipped her body for a show all summer. She just has the best coat.

Not many folks right in my area with minis, but growing some in interest.

Thanks again for all your help.

Cindy

Hi

I have used all and many kinds of clippers over the years. The best by far in my opinion are the double K clippers. They simply last and last and can do hard work, show work, trim, sculpture with only the adjustment of the speed and different size blades.

I do like a smaller lighter clipper to take to the shows after they have been clipped at home for touch ups. There is a Wahl I think it is that has an adjustable blade, 10, 15, 30 that works good for taking to shows that I like. These blades can be sharpened by most blade sharpening companies or replaced for less money than the A-5's.

Beth

i have a stallion that shows in natural coat as he just doesnt need body clipping. hes the rare mini that doesnt get a huge coat. My shetland also shows in natural coat.

I love my clipmasters!! they are really good for show clipping pinto's and silver dapples as they dont take all the color off. And you cant beat them for taking off a winter coat quickly.

Im one of the few who doesnt like double K's. I use the oster a5 for detailing and a tiny muzzle/ear clipper

Latest posts

Back