HELP-- loosing weight after gelding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shelly

Reaction score
I know alot of you mini lovers also have big horses, so this is for you!

I have a 7 year old arabian that I had gelded almost a month ago. He has healed but has lost alot of weight. I am changing his grain to a more fatty mix and am going to have his teeth floated ASAP. My question is how much of the new grain should I give and do I replace the old with the new or just add the new. He is getting 6 cups of pellet and 6 cups of sweet, twice a day, right now. They are both 12% protein but only 3% fat...the new is 12% protein and 7% fat. He also gets 3 flakes of hay twice a day. What do you think?
default_unsure.png

Add the new grain to the old slowly. As he adjusts keep upping it until its all the new grain. IMO I would drop the sweet feed entirely and get him on a good complete feed like equine sr. That way every calorie counts and hes not wasting space on sweet feed which is pretty much empty calories. 3 flakes of hay doesnt sound like enough for a big horse? Good luck!!

I'd try a senior pellet and switch gradually. I've had good luck with minis and a biggy getting weight where it needs to be using senior feeds which have more protein and fat and are formulated to be easier to digest and "get" everything out.

And, I agree with Kay in that this potentially doesn't sound like enough feed for the horse... How big is he? Unless he's pony sized, to me, it sounds like not enough going in.

Was this the amount of feed that he maintained weight on prior to gelding? If so, it's confusing to me that gelding would make a difference in that direction.

Add the new grain to the old slowly. As he adjusts keep upping it until its all the new grain. IMO I would drop the sweet feed entirely and get him on a good complete feed like equine sr. That way every calorie counts and hes not wasting space on sweet feed which is pretty much empty calories. 3 flakes of hay doesnt sound like enough for a big horse? Good luck!!

Thanks for the info and I'll try the senior grain. Yes, he has been getting the same feed for 5 years now and over the winter he started loosing weight but he lost most of it after the gelding. He is 15'2 and has been in good overall health up until this year. He is only 7...is that considered a senior?
default_sad.png
default_unsure.png

Should I get some alfalfa cubes too? Do you have to add water to them or can he eat them dry with his grain?

"7" isn't senior but I feed all age groups of horses senior feeds (and the vet knows and agrees with my reasoning and results).

Given the time of year, makes me wonder if he needs a thorough deworming maybe? That could be an explaination for the weight loss.

Also, teeth should be checked because he could have points that are causing problems.

For the hay cubes, I would feed them soaked. I'd never offer them to a mini unsoaked but even to a biggy, I would think they could choke (?) and it's always good to get some extra water into horses.

I worm him every 8 weeks when the ferrier comes...I use the complete wormers that "supposedly" kill all the different kinds of worms...I can't think of the brand name at the moment. He is due again the end of this month. I'm sending some pics I just took this morning...see what you all think of his overall condition! He is very dirty as he hasn't had his first spring beauty treatment yet!
default_rolleyes.gif

I worm him every 8 weeks when the ferrier comes...I use the complete wormers that "supposedly" kill all the different kinds of worms...I can't think of the brand name at the moment. He is due again the end of this month. I'm sending some pics I just took this morning...see what you all think of his overall condition! He is very dirty as he hasn't had his first spring beauty treatment yet!
default_rolleyes.gif

my pics didn't come thru...I don't know what happened? any ideas?

Yeah, I'd try all the basics too (teeth, worming, etc.). Increase his grain and use a senior type feed. They are always full of fat. You can use a supplement called power phat that works wonders and adding oil to his feed will help too. If he doesn't start gaining weight, take him in for blood work. My mini was gelded last august, lost a ton of weight, and now I'm not sure what's the matter with him. We're still doing testing. So just keep a close eye on your guy.

Here you go! I think it was because the way you named the files. Most programs dont like spaces and symbols. So I renamed them. They were too big to upload so resized them

I think he looks good just needs a few pounds. His coat is nice and shiney so I dont think its worms. I would get him on a complete feed and up his hay.

shadow06-390x287.jpg

shadow-464x344.jpg

shadow1-346x253.jpg

Shelly --

I just sent you an email based on the pictures you sent to me.

He's so handsome!

Jill

Thanks Jill and Kay...he is my special boy
default_wub.png
I will up his hay and try the new grain, hopefully he will fill out soon as I plan on finishing his training so I can ride him more! Now that he is gelded I hope to be able to ride with Joyce and Beauty this summer!!!!
default_aktion033.gif

Oh my! Beauty is certainly a beauty! I could not think of any way to word that.

Shelly, this is just my opinion, but maybe try a type of feed that is called Pounds Plus. It is almost like finely ground alfalfa hay with some corn thrown in. I am thinking that is what it is, I may have to look at the label.

All I know is that when my mini mare began to lose weight last year, the vet told me to put her on that, and so far it has worked wonders!

I water it down of course, because it can be a little dusty. But after it soaks, my mare loves it!

Good luck, I know I am not much help.

There's my beautiful girl!!!!!! I'm sooooo happy to have sold her to Joyce, she takes such wonderful care of her...as you can all see! Plus I can see her whenever I want
default_aktion033.gif

Thanks or all your input and ideas on putting weight on Shadow...I will try the new fattier grain first and up his hay, then if when this grain is gone and doesn't work, I'll try the senior feed next! How does that sound to you all?

Latest posts

Back