HELP!!!! LOCKJAW..MY MARE CANT OPEN

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your mare is being taken care of, so concentrate on the foal. Keep trying to bottle feed until he "Gets" it. Start out by syringe feeding him some mares milk, or "mares Match" available at your feed store, or your vet or vet hospital can get it for you, they can give you enough to get started. If you can not get enough into her, btter get her to the hospital so that they can. Perhaps MiniV has some suggestions, this foal needs to be treated as an orphan. Check with the vet NOW about getting the foal shots, this foal has little or no immunities, since there were no pre foaling shots done.

Also, are there any mares with foals by their side nursing babies? Can you try to get the foal to nurse her? Even if you have to twitch that mare to hold her still.

the baby lays his ears back at the mare that would except him, he doesnt want anybody but his own mama but he is eating pellets. I had sold Autumn to heather and then bought her back but left her at minilover27's farm to be faoled out as heather wanted to keep the baby and afterall the foaling out process, with all its heartaches and my health, was what i wanted to get away from. I didnt know a mare could get this from foaling and surprisingly my vet never told me that they could! the baby will be getting his vaccines today. never again will I assume because they are the only horse in the pasture that they cant get a bacterial infection just because there is noyhing for them to get hurt on or any other horses to fight and fuss with, that was very stupid and nieve of me and I pray my little autumn wont be the one to pay for my stupidty. i will post an upadte when i hear from Dr. Pelidrini today.

Good luck, my prayers are with you and Autumn and her little colt.

I'm so sorry to hear this, what a horrible thing to happen. I'll be thinking of you. I only have two minis right now and several big horses, but I wanted to respond to a question in this thread. We vaccinate our horses yearly for tetanus, but if any of them get a serious injury, especially a puncture wound, they get a tetanus booster. We had a yearling run into a fence and pull all the skin off of his chest. He had his tetanus vaccination about 30 days before that, but the vet said to give him a booster anyway. I hope that answers that question, even with a vaccination, they need a booster if there's a serious wound or a pucture. Also, puncture wounds can be very difficult to see. We have these trees around here with huge thorns on them. When I talked to the vet about what to do if one of my horses stepped on one, he said NOT TO REMOVE THE THORN because the sole of the hoof will close over the puncture and it won't be able to be flushed. Just to call him immediately. Please keep us updated.....

I'm so very sorry.
no.gif
Prayers being said for your little mare & foal.

I just got on this morning and came right to this post first.

I am so upset over this Wishful.

I don't know the why or the how of all these things that happen but my heart goes out to you and of course to Heather as well. I wish we had some better answers here. My heart is so sad right now, but you have to do one thing and that is not to give up hope just yet and tell her to fight this thing. Don't ever give up hope! Please get in there and tell your little mare how much she is loved and to please hang on.

I am praying for Angels to surround your little girl in her hour of need.

ANGELCLIPART.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
GOOD NEWS...just got off the phone with Auburn,turns out Tetnus was not the culprit, its what I call"Milk Fever", I think someone gave the proper name for it earleir on in the thread. She is eating and drinking this morning and I will be able to pick her up tomorrow
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
spirit will be reunited with his mom tomorrow. I thank each and every one of ya'll for your prayers and support.

my heart just sank reading this post until i came down to your update. IM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!! Can you give more info on milk fever??? I have never heard of that

Kay

KayKay the way it was explained to me this morning was that Milk fever or esclampia, is when the mare is not getting enough nutritional calcium from her diet in late gestation and early lactation and it finally shows its hugley head 7 to 14 days after foaling when the baby is pulling all of the mares calcium reserves. Some one else may be able to explain it better, but thats basically what I was told.

YEAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!, Wonderful news. Oh Jamie thank goodness your mare and foal should be ok. If u search the forum archives for eclampsia there are several people , me included that went through that with a mare this year. Mine actually showed signs of it about a month before she foaled, recovered somewhat and started again less than a week before she foaled so I guess its something that can happen from late pregnancy on. Guess this is reinforcing your resolve to not breed anymore huh? Sorry u went through this but at least u have a good outcome. Jen

Thats WONDERFUL news!
aktion033.gif
Something anyone who breeds should be aware of....this forum is such a great learning tool.
yes.gif

It is wonderful news that Spirit will be able to return to his mom, and that Autumn will recover. Hooray!

Spirit will receive his vaccines today, per my request. Hopefully Autumn will get the same.

Thanks so much Jamie & Angie!

And you're right Dona, this board can be so informative. I never would have thought that Eclampsia, or milk fever, would cause the symptoms that she had. I guess you learn something new everyday.

This is such great news! Glad she is going to be ok!!!

Please make sure to keep her current on her vaccines from now on. One just never knows...

Latest posts

Back