HELP!!!! LOCKJAW..MY MARE CANT OPEN

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is not good news, my prayers are with you and your mare. What are you going to do with her colt?

Ginny StP

OMG! I am very sorry about this. Are they positive it is Tetanus or is that there best guess and are they checking for other possibilities?

I have never seen tetanus in any animal but hear it is not a pretty sight. Again i am very very sorry and will keep you and your mare in my constant thoughts.

Just curious, was she vaccinated for tetanus? Can they still contract tetanus if vaccinated? I am not trying to make you feel bad if she wasn't, I am just curious. We all have 20/20 hindsight.

Oh what a scary and sad situation. I am hoping and praying that your little mare makes it through. This is just mind blowing ...how could she have gotten it?

You and your mare are in my thoughts....will be waiting right along with you((((hugs)))))

The colt belongs to Heather at Mulligans run farm, He is only 13 days old but he is eating some soft pelleted food and drinking water, I would prefer foal lac powder to water but he just refuses.

Her last vaccination for tetnus was 2 years ago. I have other minis but she was kept on 2 acres by herslef as I have a mare that was tyring to take away the baby, I tried to let her nurse the baby and she was will ing to take him but he didnt want anything to do with her. aint it always the way. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.

I think that perhaps she might have torn when foaling, and that is how the bacteria got into her bloodstream. It doesn't have to be much of a cut or scratch.

Hoping she comes out of this okay...poor her, poor baby!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
unsure.gif
Just got on and saw this..I'm so sorry and prayers for that mare and oyu!!

My question is this...is that lot that mare is in now contamitated with Tetnus? I also wonder if the foal has been exposed oto it?

How often do you all give the tetnus toxiod? Is once a year enough? ALso is the Rabies used the same as the dog rabies? I haven't given that yet..but we do have lots of nighttime little critters out and about..ie possum, racoons,etc. so guess I better get with that program too..

Best of luck,

Maxine

Just came on to wish you well.....

My question is this...is that lot that mare is in now contamitated with Tetnus?
tetnus is a form of clostridium and there are clostridium bacteria in the soil all the time they only cause a problem when they find an opportunity to invade an organism.......bacteria are everywhere and come in more forms that most would ever know viruses also are always around and we cannot protect ourselves from all of them this is where vaccines and natural resistence come into play......

tetnus is IMO the most important vaccine for horses and humans who work with horses........

I so hope your mare pull's through and the foal is ok.

I am saying a little prayer for you, your mare, and the baby. I really hope all turns out okay.

I was the one that foaled Autumn out for Wishful. I was there for the birth, it was a very quick delivery, I always check my mares to see if I see any lacerations or tearing, I am not saying that she did not have a small tear that I could not see. I am hoping and praying that Autumn will pull out of this and come home to be with her colt ( Spirit) As Wishful has said he will not drink the foal lac powder however he will drink water and eat a few pellets. I will be getting him some foal lac pellets first thing in the morning. Sending prayers and hugs to Autumn and Wishful.

Will keep you and your mare in my thoughts hoping for better news in the morning. I don't have anything to add on help for her just wanted to add my healing thoughts to everyone elses.

Please have your horse tested for hyperlipemia. My vet misdiagnosed my one and only mare that I ever lost - He incorrectly diagnosed her symptoms as tetanus. She was very rigid and had seizures also. I lost the mare and sent the body to Purdue University to be tested - come to find out it was not tetanus, but hyperlipemia. If this is not treated agressively, you will lose the mare.

I had a 3 week old colt which I raised on the foal lac pellets. My "good" vet suggested the pellets over the powder supplement.

I wish you the best of luck and I hope that you keep us posted on your mare's progress.

Sending prayers your way!

Pam

I am praying for your mare too! PLEASE get some feed into that baby. Perhaps the vet can tube him? I don't know what to do with a orphan foal but do know he will go down quickly if he does not eat. Perhaps some pedialyte to keep him from getting dehydrated? Gatorade maybe?

Good luck, maybe you can hobble the other mare to let him eat.

Beth

I am so very sorry. Prayers for your mare and her baby, hope she manages to get through this ok, and that the colt will start drinking for you.

I'm so sorry about your mare, but remember please, since the mare wasn't properly vaccinated prior to foaling, your foal has no immunity either. You may want to talk to your vet about when you can vaccinate the little one. Wasn't there someone here on the forum that lost a foal from tetanus received through the umbilical stump even though they soaked the navel several times with iodine??? Whatever your mare stepped on or got scratched by was where the baby could get to it too. All it takes is a break in the skin for tetanus to invade. I sure hope your mare makes it ok. Good luck.

Oh no Jamie!!! Im so sorry to hear about your mare. And u are right these things always seem to happen to our favorites. Sending good thoughts and prayers to u all. Please keep us posted. Jen

So sorry to hear about your mare and foal. I will keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers.

Robin

I will say a lot prayers for your little one and a lot more for your Mare. On the foal

can you try putting the milk in a bottle, and bottle feeding him. If you use one with drop in bag, you can put the nipple in his mouth and the bottles have a plastic thing on the side you can push down to get the milk in. Maybe this would help.

Prayer and Hugs

Vicky

Latest posts

Back