Help?! Is he greying or will he turn darker??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laura&HerMinis

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’m new to the miniature horse forum. I adopted this guy from a rescue (shown below) and am waiting for him to come to my farm in two weeks. He is 2 years old (gelding). They said he is a palomino, and I’m wondering if he looks to you guys like he is greying out, or if he will darken or stay the same. The first photo is him in the summer, and the second photo is him on Sunday.

02B4F534-A8DD-4071-BEC7-D9A9A17AB2D0.png
DA8D8D82-BB01-4BD0-B38D-96A601A01FBF.pngAlso, I’m going to be doing some muscle/topline building exercises with him as he definitely needs to bulk up, but I was also wondering if the way he looks right now is typical for a 2 year old, like the way his back and neck are? Is there any advice you would be able to give me to help him gain some bulk and muscle? Note: he is halter broke, foot broke and trailer broke. Super friendly just a bit shy, but he was the one I fell in love with first at the rescue😊

Thanks for your help! I’m probably naming him Arrow but does anyone else have any name ideas come to mind? Just the first name you think of when you see him, just in case Arrow doesn’t suit him :)

Just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS!! on your new little guy 😀 He's a pretty color and has such a pretty little head!

Thank you so much! I love his little head too, sort of looks like an Arab a little bit. I fell in love with his personality, as the other ones were more nervous and this guy was super friendly and was following me everywhere! 🥺 Secret…I did actually adopt two, the other one is a 5 year old black mare that was more shy, but after spending more time with them she got more curious and came up for pets. She‘s solid black with one blue eye 😉 super cute. I’ll post a photo later on when they get dropped off.

Congratulations on your new minis. I have one that's black with a partial blue eye 😍 I think he looks pretty typical for a two year old, they are growing still finding their shape. I'd just do a lot of hand walking with him at this point and maybe a little trotting. He looks like an Arrow to me, good choice!

Congratulations on your new minis. I have one that's black with a partial blue eye 😍 I think he looks pretty typical for a two year old, they are growing still finding their shape. I'd just do a lot of hand walking with him at this point and maybe a little trotting. He looks like an Arrow to me, good choice!

Thank you! I’m very excited! I thought he probably did, as he’s a bit bum high etc. Do you think pole work would be good for him to bulk up too or should I wait till next spring when he’s 3? Haha I took so many photos and the first name I thought of when I looked at his photos was definitely Arrow! But I just wanted to see if there’s any other names that would suit him, plus I’m looking for a cool show name (just for fun, not planning on showing but it’s fun to come up with them!)

Oh my, what a handsome little boy!! Congrats! Can’t wait to see your new black mare too. Love blue eyes!!!

Im good at names LOL LOL I love Arrow!!
Un-registered name ideas:
Laura’s Love Arrow
Laura’s Cupid Arrow
Laura’s Silly Little Arrowhead
Laura’s Kissing Arrow
Laura’s Sunshine Arrow
Laura’s Indian Arrowhead
Laura’s Magnificent Arrow
Laura’s Gorgeous Arrow

Oh! You said the first name that came to mind, but then they just kept coming!! 🤣😍😍 Keep us updated on which name you decide on.💕

Oh my, what a handsome little boy!! Congrats! Can’t wait to see your new black mare too. Love blue eyes!!!

Im good at names LOL LOL I love Arrow!!
Un-registered name ideas:
Laura’s Love Arrow
Laura’s Cupid Arrow
Laura’s Silly Little Arrowhead
Laura’s Kissing Arrow
Laura’s Sunshine Arrow
Laura’s Indian Arrowhead
Laura’s Magnificent Arrow
Laura’s Gorgeous Arrow

Oh! You said the first name that came to mind, but then they just kept coming!! 🤣😍😍 Keep us updated on which name you decide on.💕

Thank you! Lol that’s totally fine, I love those names! I sure will keep you guys updated! I’m so confused about his coat color lol, he’s like a really light palomino but I’m not sure if he’s gonna darken, lighten, grey out, stay the same, maybe he’ll be a roan, lol I’m so confused!

It’s so fun watching them change colors all the time. My blacks usually stay black but my silvers change colors with the seasons. 💕

Haha yeah that’s cool! My friend had a palomino that was this guy’s color in the winter and a golden palomino in the summer, (he was a Tennessee walking horse but same idea) so I’m kinda hoping this guy will go a bit darker. Like when you can tell he’s actually yellow and not a grey haha

I'd probably wait til spring to do poles so not to stress his joints.

Yeah that’s what I thought, for two reasons. 1. Then he’ll be 3 and more able to handle extra things and 2. The snow will be gone so I won’t have to worry about slippery snowy footing etc.

I'd probably wait til spring to do poles so not to stress his joints.

What about a bit of hill work? We have a short hill here that we could go up and down, it’s not super steep at about 20 degrees and it’s about 8 feet high

Congratulations and THANK YOU FOR RESCUING!!!! ❤
I wouldn't worry about bilking him up at all, he's going to do that as he finishes growing up. As a rescue he probably hasn't had very good nutrition, you might want to give them a good vit/min supplement. You could do some walking/trails with both of them if you want to, small hills and confidence/relationship building. One of the great things with these little ones is you can all go for a walk together. No idea what his colours doing, you might have to wait till he sheds out in the spring to know. Winter and summer coats can be very different colours sometimes.

I don't think he is grey--a palomino that is greying often turns a dark steel color as it starts to go grey. As for the question if his gold will darken--very possibly not. Many palomino minis are this very light shade--and they always stay that light color. We had 2 that we referred to as "the white ones" as they were so pale.

I wouldn't worry about bilking him up at all, he's going to do that as he finishes growing up. As a rescue he probably hasn't had very good nutrition, you might want to give them a good vit/min supplement. You could do some walking/trails with both of them if you want to, small hills and confidence/relationship building. One of the great things with these little ones is you can all go for a walk together. No idea what his colours doing, you might have to wait till he sheds out in the spring to know. Winter and summer coats can be very different colours sometimes.

Thank you! They’re my very first rescue horses and I’m so excited! Oh okay, what kind of supplements would you recommend? I had my big horse on StepRight Complete Pellet and it really helped to build up his topline. Haha yes that’s really nice with the little guys that we can all go together if we want. I’ll probably do mostly one on one at the beginning though, this guy is slightly shy and the mare is more shy, but I’m not surprised because this rescue has over 40 horses so they haven’t been able to spend one on one time with many of their animals. This guy will just kinda walk away sometimes cause he gets bored, but the mare is a little more just shy of people in general so I’ll have to gain her trust more, the gelding was the first one who came out to me for pets haha hence why I fell in love with him. The mare slowly came around while I was there too but I have some work ahead of me with her! I’m so up for it though haha I can’t contain my excitement!!

Thank you! They’re my very first rescue horses and I’m so excited! Oh okay, what kind of supplements would you recommend? I had my big horse on StepRight Complete Pellet and it really helped to build up his topline. Haha yes that’s really nice with the little guys that we can all go together if we want. I’ll probably do mostly one on one at the beginning though, this guy is slightly shy and the mare is more shy, but I’m not surprised because this rescue has over 40 horses so they haven’t been able to spend one on one time with many of their animals. This guy will just kinda walk away sometimes cause he gets bored, but the mare is a little more just shy of people in general so I’ll have to gain her trust more, the gelding was the first one who came out to me for pets haha hence why I fell in love with him. The mare slowly came around while I was there too but I have some work ahead of me with her! I’m so up for it though haha I can’t contain my excitement
I don't think he is grey--a palomino that is greying often turns a dark steel color as it starts to go grey. As for the question if his gold will darken--very possibly not. Many palomino minis are this very light shade--and they always stay that light color. We had 2 that we referred to as "the white ones" as they were so pale.

Interesting! I like his color that he was in the summertime too, it’s just…he’ll be easier to clean if he’s darker lmao 🤣 I’ve always gravitated towards darker horses for that reason and I also like the look of a darker palomino better. The gold just is so gorgeous haha.

I have noticed that about the very pale palomino minis! That's really interesting. I wonder why that happens.

You mean about why they stay the light palomino color? It is interesting for sure, they’re a whole different breed haha 😂

Thank you! They’re my very first rescue horses and I’m so excited! Oh okay, what kind of supplements would you recommend? I had my big horse on StepRight Complete Pellet and it really helped to build up his topline. Haha yes that’s really nice with the little guys that we can all go together if we want. I’ll probably do mostly one on one at the beginning though, this guy is slightly shy and the mare is more shy, but I’m not surprised because this rescue has over 40 horses so they haven’t been able to spend one on one time with many of their animals. This guy will just kinda walk away sometimes cause he gets bored, but the mare is a little more just shy of people in general so I’ll have to gain her trust more, the gelding was the first one who came out to me for pets haha hence why I fell in love with him. The mare slowly came around while I was there too but I have some work ahead of me with her! I’m so up for it though haha I can’t contain my excitement!!
I use equine diet, it's affordable and good to mix with a handful of hay extender pellets. You can get it online from Apple saddlery in Ottawa. I'm not sure about shipping to you there? I think most of the ones you can find near you or on line should be fine.

I use equine diet, it's affordable and good to mix with a handful of hay extender pellets. You can get it online from Apple saddlery in Ottawa. I'm not sure about shipping to you there? I think most of the ones you can find near you or on line should be fine.

Ahhh okay, that’s good to know it’s affordable haha with the hay shortage here. Are there different “steps” so to speak? Like something different for every horse? And what would you recommend, like you said something about minerals and vitamins? Is there anything else I should look at using for this guy?

Latest posts

Back