HELP! I can't let them go to sell them!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BetsyGiddyYuppie

Reaction score
Now this is serious, and I really could use advise.

I can only afford to own minis if I sell 2 babies a year. And I can't stand to sell them. I want the family units to stay together....I'm so bonded to each horse....You know all the reasons. And it's true even though I have sold a few in the past and have loved the homes they got. So I'm concluding that I shouldn't own them at all if I can't part with them. Nice logic, eh? I really can't afford them, and I can't pick a few I like best and sell the others...And I still don't want to break up the family, so I think I should find a way to sell all 13 (some bred) together at a ridiculously low price...but I know that's probably not going to happen.

This train of thought goes on in my head all the time...over and over...circle after circle.

Have you had any of these same thoughts? How do you break out of them? Has anyone ever sold a herd intact, even at 10 cents on the dollar? How can I think differently about all this? AAAUUUUGGGGHHHHH. I'm continually arguing with myself.

new_argue.gif

Maybe you should'nt breed any for awhile. The less minis you have, the less it costs to keep them.

If you sell the whole heard instead a few babies, you no longer have control on rather the "unit" stays together or not. As of now, you choose who gets them. Just food for thought.

Pet rocks next ?? If you manage to sell a couple and see how ell they do at their new homes you might just get over this phobia. Failing that you might need to get a second job.

If you sold them as a herd it is doubtful that whoever would buy them would keep them together. Especially if you sold them discounted. Your prospective buyer would probably be buying them to resell.
sad.gif

I can kind of relate to your problem, but my problem is that I have too many BIG horses. I have four and even though they are all cared for and loved, I really have to stretch myself physically and financially to keep them all fit and ridden.

So like you I'm always trying to figure in my head which one I should sell. It is very stressful, I'm with you on that one.
wub.gif

-Kristie

Been There---done that! I had the hardest time parting with ANY of my minis and foals were completely out of the question. I just got so darn attached to ALL of them! Then I sold one and everyting turned out great..we keep in touch almost daily, and then the second, and it was the same...now I am extreamly particular on who I sell too, but I do let a few go and make darn sure that they keep in touch..it helps so much, parting with the "kids". I dont know what I would do if I had to all of a sudden sell ALL of them..I would definitely be up the creek without a paddle..I honestly dont think I could do it! That is why I cold never understand some of these breeders who have 20plus foals a year, but still claim to get so attached, how the heck do they part with them then so easy??? Maybe that is why I only breed my mares every other year! Corinne

You maybe should not breed them then. Lots of people get in over thier heads keeping to many and end up unable to care for them right. I'm sure you are now but if you kepp too many it can happen fast.

I just sold on filly I had my heart set on keeping but the more I tought about it I knew I needed to sell her. Like my dauther said. " Mom if you keep the nicest one every year you going to end up with too many horses"" And how can you enjoy them if you have to many? Thye then become a berdon." and she right...

Also if you sell the whole herd they will nt end up together, the buyer wil keep the ones they really wanted and resell the rest..

If you sell a few at a timey ou can pick thier homes better.

JMHO

Last edited by a moderator:
You might want to consider not breeding them anymore. And you can be really picky who you sell to individually.

Liz V.

Back