Help emergency!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear about your little girl---hope the vet can find the cause and help her out! jennifer

I'm so sorry you are going thru this....and hope your little filly isn't suffering too much.
sad.gif
Will send prayers that the vets can figure this out & provide the help she needs to recover.

My first thought is skull fracture as well. My cousins son fractured his skull severely and the yellow fluid that drained from his nose was spinal fluid. He had severe seizures as well, still does unfortunately. I would still get a head x-ray just to make sure. Good luck! Keep us updated!

My first thought was also a skull fracture. Thankfully I've never had to personally deal with one but when you gave your description of things, that was the first thought I had. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

I too think this sounds like a head injury.

If that is the case, the vet needs to quickly get the foal on steroids to reduce the swelling.

We'll keep her in our prayers.

We had a filly with similar symptoms, first obviously depressed and then by the time we loaded her in the trailer and got to the vets she was down and started seizuring shortly after. She had something called Tyzers, which is a bacteria that always lives in the environment, but occasionally a foal is susceptable to it. It destroys their liver. Another foal I saw with it was at the clinic with his mom for breeding, when the owner came to get him he was a little dopey, but since he was a very quiet baby nobody thought anything of it. By the time they got home (which for them is less than 10 minutes away) he was down and they turned around and came back, by then he was having seizures. Both these foals crashed quickly and despite supportive therapy (fluids, steriods, valium for the seizures) both were lost within a few hours.

Because your filly is hanging in there, hopefully this is something else and she'll pull though! Keep us updated!

I'm so sorry your little baby is going through this. I don't have any info to offer, but I can offer my good thoughts and prayers for your little one. Hope she pulls through this.

Just wanted to send a thank you to all who replied.

sad.gif
However, I have bad news. We had to put her down this morning. The vet said that it was either encephalitis or menengitis. Her symptoms were getting worse. She would not lay down and had a very difficult time standing up. She quit taking any fluids and couldn't see anymore. Bile was coming out of her nose and mouth and she was not responding to any stimuli. Poor thing. It breaks our hearts and it sure is hard to talk about, but in my heart I believe we did the right thing.
no.gif

Just so everyone knows, all of our horses have had their shots, she didn't yet because she was not old enough.

no.gif

Thanks again everbody.

DeAnna

DeAnna, I am so very sorry!!!! Please give the baby's mom a big hug for me and keep one for you too.

Blessings,

MA

Oh DeAnna I am so sorry, but agree you did the right thing.

God Bless,

Connie

How heartbreaking! You did the right thing but it still hurts, i know! jennifer
saludando.gif

I'm so sorry for your loss. A friend here recently lost a foal to menengitis. He too went down very quickly. He rallied briefly with fluids, etc but just crashed and had to be put down. They never absolutely determined the source, but had discovered a dead cat in the barn a few days before in a place near the foal.

Jan

So sad to hear of your loss. My heart goes out to you and hope yours heals quickly. Mary

Deanna - I'm so very sorry for your loss. I wasn't even aware of any issues, since we just got our internet working, again! Justine contacted me and let me know what was going on.

My heart is breaking for you...please call me if you get a chance and just want to talk.

Latest posts

Back