Help emergency!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

razzy3d

Reaction score
Please help!!!

I am hoping someone has been thru this before and can help us or tell us what is happening.

We went to the pasture this morning and our 6 week old foal, was standing asleep. She wouldn't come eat. tried to bring her out of the pasture and she collapsed. She couldn't see. She had no energy. Rushed her to the vet. She had a seizure as soon as we got there. The vet said he had never seen a horse do that before.

Evidentaly she had had a seizure before we got to her this morning and she ripped her gum away from her teeth and now has an ulcer in her eye. Her whole face and head is swollen.

The vet is stumped, he put her on antibiotics and fluids and we are on stall watch tonight. She hasn't had another seizure, but things don't look good for her. The vet is afraid that it might be encephalitis or liver failure.

She is having some sort of yellow drainage now. coming out of her mouth and nostrils. yellow and very liquidy. not mucousy. Just pours out. We have a sample so the vet can culture it in the morning, but we are so worried, we are hoping that someone is up late and has seen this before.

Please write soon!!!

DeAnna Rasberry

How scary I wish i had some advice for you but sounds like you and your vet are doing all you can. Keep us posted

Up late here but I am sorry I cannnot help you.................. Do a search on seizures & some of the older posts should come up. I know seizures has been discussed on here before..... Sounds very scary. Sending best wishes.

DeAnna, I'm sure your vet checked her for choke, but when I've had a baby choke, they have tons of stuff pouring out of their noses and mouths. We've always caught it early, so don't know if it'd cause seizures or not. Just a thought you might ask your vet about. Good luck with your baby! I know how hard it is to have sick, and you don't know what to do.

Melba

Sending prayers your way! What you describe has me stumped! I have never heard of those symptoms before.....wish I had for your sake.

I hope your vet is running blood work on your little one and at least puting him on antibiotics, because it sounds like he needs them.

My heart is going out to you right now...I can only imagine how helpless you are feeling.

Please let us know how things are going.

Sending many blessings,

MA

I'm so sorry I have nothing to offer but prayers........Praying for you and your baby

Do you have oak trees??? We have had babies/weanlings (and one yearling) have seizures due to acorn poisoning before too, several times. They had seizures and soon showed neurologic distress. The ones we got activated charcoal and oil into immediately were the ones that did OK. It can be very, very critical....

thank you all so much for your replies and prayers. I hope to have good news in the morning. You guys are so comforting and coming to the rescue so fast is very comforting.

yeah, he is running blood work, she is on antibiotics and IV fluids and valume for pain.

Poor thing, I wish I could help.

I'll keep everyone posted and search for seizures here. Thanks again.

DeAnna

The vet checked her for a snake bite, didn't see anything.

We have her at a friends barn who has had horses for years and her son in law is a vet. I know that she checks to make sure there is nothing poisonous out there for them.

Thanks for the ideas though. Keep them coming. Please!!!

I'm sorry, the yellow fluid you describe sounds very much like what someone else once described to me on a horse which had sustained a fractured skull--he also had yellow fluid coming out of his nostrils, and it was related to the brain damage caused by the fracture. Your foal's other symptoms--the swollen head, the seizures, the inability to see--could all stem from a skull fracture. She could have run into something--tree, post, another horse?--or possibly another horse kicked her?

Whatever it is, it doesn't sound good; I'll say a prayer for your baby!

we thought about that too. The vet felt her head, everthing felt normal. Couldn't do an xray though, couldn't move her much or it would trigger another seizure. I will ask in the morning about that one. I hate it though. She is standing now and hollaring for her mother. We put the two together, despite fearing the mothers rejection. They seem to be content, but no improvement really. Very scared. Thanks for all the support and prayers, please keep them up.

DeAnna

I'm adding my prayers for your filly. How scary! I'm hoping it's something infectious and that the antibiotics will help. Drainage from nose and mouth could indicate head injury or a pulmonary(lung) infection. Could get the seizure from the head injury or from lack of oxygen from pneumonia or lung congestion from a toxic substance. It sounds as if your vet is looking at every possibility which is what he needs to be doing. I'm praying for her right now!

I had a 8 week old filly suddenly go blind in one eye and have a couple of seizures. I was there so knew what happened. She had been playing, fell and bumped her head. We had to wait for 48 hrs to see if she would regain her vision. She is now 11 yrs old and just fine. It did however, take a good 10 yrs off my life.

Prayers coming your way.

Robin

Just wanted to let everyone know, she did make it thru the night. We are headed to the vet again now. She doesn't look any better though. Thanks for the prayers, keep them coming please. It doesn't look good.

DeAnna

I am so sorry that your foal is so sick. How scary!

It sounds like you have a good vet.

Hugs and prayers for you and your little filly.

Hello, I have no advice, but it sounds like others have had good suggestions. I will

add her to my prayers to. What is the filly's name. I hope and pray all goes well. Is the Vet keeping her there? Would a major Vet hospital like a school be better for her. I am sure your Vet is doing all he can.

Best wishes and prayers for you and her.

Vicky

I am SO SORRY to hear this! I hope your baby will be okay.

I have read most posts on this forum for years and do not recall any symptoms like this being listed or talked about before. Sounds like your vet is on top of it all tho., and you too.

I will pray.

Beth

Latest posts

Back