HELP!! diarrhea...5 day old foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockin r

Reaction score
She (DONTE) started tonight about 10pm...Of course I don't have anything on hand but Imodium ad (equate brand), I am assuming it might be from foal heat, although her mother is not showing any signs of it. When this started it was still firm, but not like regular horse manure. more like a dogs bowel movment. I checked on her agin at 11:35pm and it is runny and sorta clear to yellowish. What should I give her? I read on this forum that I could give her the imodium ad, but how much? I have the pill form....Any help is MUCH APPRECIATED!!!! She is very alert, but laying down, and she is nursing..... Theresa

Keep checking the mres bag to make sure she is nursing and yes you can give her Immodium. If you have the pill form, give her a half human dose and dissolve it in a little water and put it in a syringe without a needle and squirt it in her mouth without tipping her head up too far.

You can also give them pepto. About 2 T will do the trick.

I always like to give them ProBios or yogurt to restore the flora in the gut that they lose when they have the squirts.

Might wash her little bottom and put some desitin on it as well to keep her from getting scalded if it keeps up.

Keep us posted

I'd give her the Imodium, but I'm not sure about dosage in pill form. Is there dosage info on the bottle for a regular size horse or by weight? If it's by weight, that would be the easiest to solve as you could estimate her at about 25 lbs. and go from there.

Good luck.

MA

hhpminis said:
Keep checking the mres bag to make sure she is nursing and yes you can give her Immodium.  If you have the pill form, give her a half human dose and dissolve it in a little water and put it in a syringe without a needle and squirt it in her mouth without tipping her head up too far.You can also give them pepto.  About 2 T will do the trick.

I always like to give them ProBios or yogurt to restore the flora in the gut that they lose when they have the squirts.

Might wash her little bottom and put some desitin on it as well to keep her from getting scalded if it keeps up.

Keep us posted

427110[/snapback]

The vet just called, told me to BREATHE!! She knows a am a nervous nelly when it comes to my children. She said it was probalby foal heat, even thou it has only been 5 days....To give her 1/2 a pill of imodium ad 1x a day..But prefers liquid form..I will go 1st thing in the am when the stores open and get everything I need to have on hand...I know to get pepto, imodium ad, pedealite, Destine, anything else I should get??? Zanax???? You guys are GREAT!!!!
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

Looks like you have things well covered.....pardon the pun.
rolleyes.gif

MA

Latest posts

Back