Help, could she be in foal?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, mares can be bred and In foal, then show signs of heat. They will usually kick the crud out of the stallion or some stallions just know and refuse to breed them again. She looks to actually have lost weight or gained muscle tone in the third photo, even though her belly looks the same, she looks more defined over the rump and in the shoulders.

Best bet, have a vet US her.

I noticed her weight issue so I have taught her to lounge! We work 5 days a week, Could explain the muscle toning! She loves to work and I plan on teaching her to drive in the spring.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blood test or one of the foal testing kits like wee foal etc.

+

Congrats either way

It's very possible she could be in foal. Although sometimes it's expected to have weight gain or loss after being moved and a diet change. That could be said of any animal, not just minis. Like previously said, your best bet is to get a test done by a vet. Hope for the best!

Whether she's in foal or not, she's a pretty girl - many congratulations!!

May I ask, when you say 8 hours of grass each day, no hay or feed, do you mean that she has nothing to nibble at for the remaining 16 hours? In the long run this would be very bad for her wellbeing. In fact she would be more likely to lose weight by being fed lots of small feeds of hay, grain, and grass, rather than 'glutting' her system in a rush because she is hungry. As a maiden 4 year old, I would not think that she would be increasng in tummy size for a while yet (covered in July), but 'glutting' her system could lead to a larger tummy.
default_yes.gif

I hope she is in foal for you if that is what you would like, she should have a nice baby - what size/colour/type was the potential sire?

Congrats on your new mare! If she was exposed to the stallion, could definitely be in foal. I don't like blood tests because if they're not done at the right time they are very inaccurate. I do like the urine tests and of course vet checking via ultrasound is a good way to go as well. If she is in foal, be careful about just giving her grass and nothing else. She does look pretty good, but in the last picture she looks a little bit more "hippy" than the other pictures. I like to give my mares a ration balancer to make sure they are getting all they need if they do just fine on grass or hay.

Whether she's in foal or not, she's a pretty girl - many congratulations!!

May I ask, when you say 8 hours of grass each day, no hay or feed, do you mean that she has nothing to nibble at for the remaining 16 hours? In the long run this would be very bad for her wellbeing. In fact she would be more likely to lose weight by being fed lots of small feeds of hay, grain, and grass, rather than 'glutting' her system in a rush because she is hungry. As a maiden 4 year old, I would not think that she would be increasng in tummy size for a while yet (covered in July), but 'glutting' her system could lead to a larger tummy.
default_yes.gif

I hope she is in foal for you if that is what you would like, she should have a nice baby - what size/colour/type was the potential sire?

I plan on getting a wee foal test to confirm her being pregnant bc I feel like if she is then she definately needs more for a diet bc then she would be eating for two! But I was questioning it bc I wouldn't think of her to show that soon?

Latest posts

Back