Help CDE- goers!!!!!!!! **Leia maybe**

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrestigeMiniHorses

Reaction score
I got some questions for those of you who go to the CDEs and driving shows... I am taking Millie to a driving show this Sunday and I have the show bill and I have a few questions?

I know what driving cones is... Is it usually legal at most shows to canter?

What is Double Jeopardy?

And I have heard of Reinsmanship but how is it judged?

I feel like such a goofball but this is the first time I have driven in a show since I was in 4-H. I think if anything this will be a learning experience. I am very excited that's for sure.

Sounds like fun! I take it this is an ADS Pleasure Driving style show? I'm not as familiar with those are there are none in Washington but hopefully someone like Minihgal who knows will pipe up. I believe cantering is discouraged in the P.D. version of cones and maybe not allowed at all. Double Jeopardy I'm blanking out on but I think it involves two runs through a cones/obstacle course, either with two drivers switching places or doing it one way then backwards. If no one else knows I'll go dig out my rulebook and find out for you!

Reinsmanship is judged on the skill of the whip, i.e. you.
default_smile.png
They want to see that you have soft quiet hands that the horse can trust, that you know how to handle your whip correctly, and that you can drive any small pattern the judge may give you accurately and with style. Be precise! If they say to step forward two steps, back four steps then come forward five steps that's exactly what you'd better do. I won the Reinsmanship class at the Oregon State Fair last year based on that! It was silly and a way simpler pattern than I was expecting but I was the only one who did it exactly as she asked. The other horses were cranky because it was midnight so lurched forward three or four steps, backed between three and five steps (or six or seven) then walked off fast and abruptly halted. Kody's used to being asked to nudge closer to the trailer one step at a time for unhitching so I asked him to "Step up. Step up. Back, back, back, whoa. Step up. Step up. Step up. Step up. Step up, whoa. Good boy!" It really helps to have a horse who listens to you.
default_rolleyes.gif
Hehehe. They make you look good.

Anyway, sorry I don't have more concrete answers for you but Pleasure Driving shows are not my area of expertise. I'm sure you'll have fun and you know we expect pictures, right?
default_wink.png
default_aktion033.gif

Leia

C. Double Jeopardy

1. To be driven over a prescribed course of obstacles (paired markers) by an entry

with two drivers. 8-10 obstacles are recommended as a course length, but the

number can be adjusted to be proportionate to the dimensions of the driving area.

2. After passing the starting line, the first driver shall proceed through each obstacle

to the designated finish line. At this point, after coming to a complete stop, the

second driver must not start the reverse course until there is complete control of

reins and whip It is recommended that a different colored set of numbers be

placed to indicate the required "reverse " course.

3. Failure to come to a complete halt before the exchange of reins will incur

elimination.

4. Course faults are as listed in Article 58.4. Course faults are scored as penalty

seconds and are added to the driver’s elapsed time. Placings are determined on a

low total time basis. Tie for first will be decided by a drive off (unless otherwise

stated in the Omnibus/prize list).

I got some questions for those of you who go to the CDEs and driving shows... I am taking Millie to a driving show this Sunday and I have the show bill and I have a few questions?

I know what driving cones is... Is it usually legal at most shows to canter?

What is Double Jeopardy?

And I have heard of Reinsmanship but how is it judged?

I feel like such a goofball but this is the first time I have driven in a show since I was in 4-H. I think if anything this will be a learning experience. I am very excited that's for sure.
Now that you have the professional answers
default_yes.gif

A couple simple ones.

Double Jeopardy (correct me if I'm wrong Al ) Say there's a course of 20 cones. You drive the first ten, then stop and switch drivers with your partner. It's timed, so you have to switch fast, but you have to come to a complete stop. The time I did it, you could have both people in the cart or have the second driver waitng at the change over point.

I'm almost sure it's okay to canter.

Vickie,

The time you did it was riding with me.
default_new_shocked.gif

I doubt that cantering is allowed but that may be a good question for the organizers. I think a lot of these fun type obstacle classes in a Pleasure Shows are loosely defined in the rules and the organizers fine tune them.

default_smile.png

Vickie,

The time you did it was riding with me.
default_new_shocked.gif

I doubt that cantering is allowed but that may be a good question for the organizers. I think a lot of these fun type obstacle classes in a Pleasure Shows are loosely defined in the rules and the organizers fine tune them.

default_smile.png
Hello ! I also did the course with Susan where I waited at the 10 cone.

WooHoo thank you all so very much for explaining me all this...:D I am so glad you all took the time to help me out. So now I just have to ask someone to be my partner in that Class...Shouldn't be too hard to find I am sure though. :D This looks like its going to be alot of fun so I sooo cant wait..

Cantering is not allowed in Pleasure Driving shows.

"Cantering is prohibited in all classes. Breaks to canter are defined as three full strides if an advantage has been gained (such as in a timed cones class or cross country drive); six full strides if no advantage has been gained (such as in reinsmanship). Prolonged cantering will be penalized according to class specifications. In the case of multipoles, all horses in a turnout must break to incure penalties."

Good luck and have a great time! They are a lot of fun!!!

So today I actually talked to one of the ladies in charge of the show and what everyone has said is true....Except that this show might actually allow cantering not sure. This show is not sanctioned with any organization or anything. The Lady couldn't give me a answer to that question. I am fine trotting anyways just wasn't sure....I am really looking forward to the show thats for sure. :D So I will let you all know how it goes when we get back Sunday or first thing Monday...

Latest posts

Back