Help can't clipp

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doniakay

Reaction score
I have been working on desensitizing for weeks and it has gotten better but a no go for even the bridle path so it would be hard for me to twitch Bu my self

I called must vet. And he did not recommend sedation but calming paste. Is there one out there that works?

My clippers are new and not dull. I have. A showin2 weeks

Have you tried this: don't tie up the horse. Hold the lead rope and sort of pursue him as he tries to get away from the clipper. Put the clipper on him when you get close enough. When he moves out of clipper range, lead him back into position. In my experience, if the horse can somewhat satisfy the Flight instinct he doesn't panic and eventually gives in. I know it is hard to keep one's cool when the horse acts up.

Or perhaps you can make an appointment, take your horse and clippers to the vet, and have the vet or the tech help you with the process, either by helping with the twitch or administering a light sedative.

Good luck at your show!

we use a little bit of damosidan (sp?) but you would have to aquire it through your vet. Its a gel paste in a tube so easy to administer.

I like the oral dormosedan gel. It is a prescroption sedative that is given orally. Surprisingly, minis need waaay more sedative than full sized horses yo achieve sedation. I always keed a tube on hand for emergencies. I was glad to have it when Turbo cut his leg real bad, it was the only way to calm him down to clean the wound. I have acquired several untame horses over the years that needed sedation in the beginning to do farrier or dental work. I find that if they're sedated, the procedure goes well, it becomes a positive experience and eventually, they trust you enough to no longer need sedation. I have had luck using this with clipping too. It is important however to administer it while the horse is calm, if they are nervous and have the adrenaline pumping, this product can agitate them worse. It does also make them sweat, which can make clipping difficult.

What have you done to desensitize?

I agree with not tying your horse. Take the blade off the clipper and turn them on. Hold the lead rope in one hand and the clippers in the other. You may have to go around and around in circles at first but rub the running clipper all over your horse. Start with the body then slowly work down legs and up the neck. Just like getting them used to a hose. Eventually most will accept the clippers after a bit. Coming right at them with a clipper with a blade on it and trying to fight them to hold still just makes a mess out of the whole situation.

I used one of those cheap battery operated lady bug massagers to desensitize and it worked very well to get them used to the clippers.

Massagers are great!

I try to not start at their heads or legs when the horse is unsure or scared. I start on the rump or back. Less likely to poke them with the blades when they move around or jerk. Once you start getting hair off they figure it out pretty quickly. I have a couple that just don't like their heads done so I carefully cradle their head in one arm while clipping with the other.

Good luck!

My past gelding would NOT let you near his ears even if you were on the bridle path, it would be an all out war. It wasn't that he wasnt desensitized enough, heck he was being clipped as a weanling, he just didn't want you touching them, just one of those quirks. We always had to give him a sedative right at the end just so we could clean up the top of his head, ears and bridle path. Anything else he was an angel with, he was such a brat with just that one thing lol.

Now my stallion hates his legs done, so those get left till the end and I usually have to have one leg up so he doesn't sit there and stomp the entire time or move all over the place. I can have a twitch and the whole nine going and he will still stomp around. I think it depends on the horse really what they don't like when it comes to clipping, some could careless. Ive seen some just need a twitch and others need a sedative.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back